Gay Marriage Referendum in Ireland today...

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,392.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ireland votes today on whether to extend marriage to gay couples.

Opinion polls suggest it will be carried by at least 60-40.

Personally I am voting No and think it may be a lot closer than 60-40, but I think it will still be passed.

Reactions: pdudgeon

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,392.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
my parents just got back from a cruise to England, Scotland, and Ireland, they said in the Irish country side they saw lots of posters for "vote against gay marriage" and in Dublin it is "vote for gay marriage"
Ths is very true.

Dublin, where I live is pro gay marriage. The big question is will Dublin vote in large enough numbers to get it across the line.

We will know in about 18 hours...

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would vote yes. I think civil rights should be applied equally to everyone. Churches could of course still choose who they want to marry or not marry based upon any criteria they choose, just as today.

Is that for certain, though?

And even if it is, that'll probably be the next vote.

If a bakery can't refuse a gay couple then why would a church be allowed to?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I can't speak for Ireland, but let's use another example for the US:

If a bakery can't refuse a white woman with a black man, why would a church be allowed to?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96577

It seems like they can. Religious institutions in the US have an exemption to discrimination laws that businesses do not have. They are allowed to discriminate.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

In the US, yes. Our first amendment to the constitution carves out a special protection for churches. Churches reject marrying heterosexuals all the time for reasons ranging from psychological immaturity to previous divorces to basically any reason they want to. We even have precedent for churches being allowed to deny marriage to people who are protected against discrimination when it comes to employment and patronage at businesses. There are independent congregationalists churches in the south that occasionally make the news for refusing to marry interracial couples, and no legal action is taken against them.

What legalizing gay marriage means in the US is that gays can get married by a judge at a court house, and by any religion that chooses to perform gay marriages (Like the Unitarian Universalists, who endorse gay marriage). Religions that don't want to perform gay marriages don't have to. We're seeing that they don't have to right now, as 30+ states now have gay marriage and there has not been even one case I've heard of where a church that refuses to perform them gets in legal trouble.

I am not familiar enough with Irish law to know if it's the same there or not. I would assume so, but I don't know for sure. One would think the Catholic Church would still have enough pull in Ireland to get an exemption if it's not explicitly granted .

In the US, a vote to force religions to marry gay people against their beliefs would be invalided in court. The constitution trumps other law.

A bakery is a public accommodation, like a restaurant or a hotel. They do not have the same special protections we afford to churches and other religious meeting places performing religious rituals.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I can't speak for Ireland, but let's use another example for the US:

If a bakery can't refuse a white woman with a black man, why would a church be allowed to?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96577

It seems like they can. Religious institutions in the US have an exemption to discrimination laws that businesses do not have. They are allowed to discriminate.

Interesting. Given how conservative Ireland was, it wouldn't surprise me if something like that exists as well. One can only hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
In the US, yes. Our first amendment to the constitution carves out a special protection for churches. Churches reject marrying heterosexuals all the time for reasons ranging from psychological maturity to previous divorces to basically any reason they want to. We even have precedent for churches being allowed to deny marriage to people who are protected against discrimination when it comes to employment and patronage at businesses. There are independent congregationalists churches in the south that occasionally make the news for refusing to marry interracial couples, and no legal action is taken against them.

What legalizing gay marriage means in the US is that gays can get married by a judge at a court house, and by any religion that chooses to perform gay marriages (Like the Unitarian Universalists, who endorse gay marriage). Religions that don't want to perform gay marriages don't have to. We're seeing that they don't have to right now, as 30+ states now have gay marriage and there has not been even one case I've heard of where a church that refuses to perform them gets in legal trouble.

I am not familiar enough with Irish law to know if it's the same there or not. I would assume so, but I don't know for sure. One would think the Catholic Church would still have enough pull in Ireland to get an exemption if it's not explicitly granted .

In the US, a vote to force religions to marry gay people against their beliefs would be invalided in court. The constitution trumps other law.

A bakery is a public accommodation, like a restaurant or a hotel. They do not have the same special protections we afford to churches and other religious meeting places performing religious rituals.

I appreciate the long reply but I am just leaving, if you'd be a gentleman and PM me a reminder to check it later, that'd be great.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am not so much worried about a vote in that regard
I am worried about activist judges forcing churches to comply

and you are right, the courts have not forced churches to marry mixed race couples in the past
but things change very quickly nowadays

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Surprising numbers. Unfortunate numbers.

What's unfortunate is that this is coming from Patrick Bateman.

I am not so much worried about a vote in that regard
I am worried about activist judges forcing churches to comply

Gay marriage has been legal over here since 2001, coming up on a decade and a half now, and nobody has even attempted to force churces to perform same-sex marriages.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Gay marriage has been legal over here since 2001, coming up on a decade and a half now, and nobody has even attempted to force churces to perform same-sex marriages.

ok, maybe you are right?
maybe not

either way, it is not a good thing

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well if Ireland has fallen, I struggle to see many other countries standing a chance.
It's a sign of the times, and it is just as Scripture describes the world's rebellion just before the end. Satan has been unleashed and knows that his time is short.

Upvote 0