Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The recent legislation in Australia that amended the marriage act to include Same Sex Marriage has fostered renewed interest within religious communities concerning "Conversion Therapy" with one side of the debate arguing it provides parents with a resource, while the other side argues there's no efficacy evidence and that it fosters greater psychological harm.

Gay conversion therapy's deep roots in Australia

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟93,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The recent legislation in Australia that amended the marriage act to include Same Sex Marriage has fostered renewed interest within religious communities concerning "Conversion Therapy" with one side of the debate arguing it provides parents with a resource, while the other side argues there's no efficacy evidence and that it fosters greater psychological harm.

Christian conversion therapy in Australia, sounds like the Aussies are on the right track to removing homosexuality as normal, next it will be same sex marriage being reversed.

A Good Thing!

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The current trend in most countries seems to be to ban conversion theraphy and that is a good thing considering that conversion theraphy does not work and most of the time only causes harm.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The current trend in most countries seems to be to ban conversion therapy and that is a good thing considering that conversion therapy does not work and most of the time only causes harm.
On purely physical or psychological means, I totally agree. Much more damage than good.

However, the problem is a spiritual problem; not a physical one. So the healing and restoration that is to be done must be by spiritual means, not physical or psychological.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the complicated and psychologically as well as physically harmful process of gender reassignment is not banned, why would it be such a priority of some to make sure that an at least physically harmless therapy, whether it is effective or not, must be banned? Seems to me that it is the political consideration and not the psychological and physical health consideration that is being prioritized here. If either is undertaken voluntarily, I see no legitimate reason for government interference in the process. If either is forced upon one through coercion, or if the patient is a minor incapable of full rationality on the subject, then the government would have a legitimate role. I do not see the outright banning of something that is only harmful to the person that voluntarily undergoes it as a legitimate use of government force. The principle that I would apply to one , I apply to the other. Can someone explain to me why I should not apply the same basic principle across the board when it comes to government action?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟488,419.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If the complicated and psychologically as well as physically harmful process of gender reassignment is not banned, why would it be such a priority of some to make sure that an at least physically harmless therapy, whether it is effective or not, must be banned?
Because only one is shown to be an effective treatment.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The logic for some countries banning conversion therapy as I understand it, is that churches are practicing psychology and even some types of physical therapies when they have no qualifications in either field, and are practising in a manner that has no evidence of its efficacy, and has been the subject of multiple complaints for adverse effects.

Others may know more about this but this was my understanding.

Upvote 0

Snow_Princess

May 1, 2018
USA
✟2,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Gay conversion therapy should be outlawed, the more extreme versions of it like in Kidnapped for Christ, or the reports of sniffing feces "to be reminded where homosexual men stick their penises" and/or asking minors to defile themselves in front of their male counselor "to get back in touch with their masculinity", should be straight up criminalized.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟93,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the therapy modality that could get you to give up your heterosexual ways? I'm a better-than-average therapist and I don't quite know how I would go about it if you asked. :scratch:
The krux of the matter is, homosexuality is "unnatural" , and no human is born a homosexual, It's a "Learned Process" that accounts for 3.5% of American society.

Not hard for a person to see that nature is set to male/female, if everybody was a homosexual and didn't look to artificial insemination the homosapien would be extinct in 120 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The krux of the matter is, homosexuality is "unnatural" sexual perversion, and no human is born a homosexual, It's a "Learned Process" that accounts for 3.5% of American society.

Not hard for a person to see that nature is set to male/female, if everybody was a homosexual and didn't look to artificial insemination the homosapien would be extinct in 120 years.
I'm assuming youre setting aside those born with gender chromosomal disorders resulting in gender dysmorphia.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The krux of the matter is, homosexuality is "unnatural" sexual perversion, and no human is born a homosexual, It's a "Learned Process" that accounts for 3.5% of American society.

I remember now...You are that guy who thinks homosexuality should get the death penalty.

I am glad we are beyond the dark ages and fanatics like you are almost gone for good.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟93,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm assuming youre setting aside those born with gender chromosomal disorders resulting in gender dysmorphia.
Sounds like a liberal doctor's jargon to me.

There is no scientific recording of hermaphrodite, you either are male or female.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟93,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still born male/female No scientific case of hermaphrodite.

You can dig all you want to justify humans are born homosexual, they are not.

The study below followed 35 from birth to adulthood with sex chromosome disorders and 32 out of the 35 married, as they led normal lives having children.

Please check table 2

Nature.com

Life adaptation in 35 adults with sex chromosome abnormalities
  • Bruce G Bender
  • , Mary G Linden
  • & Robert J Harmon
  • Genetics in Medicine volume3, pages187–191 (2001)
  • doi:10.1097/00125817-200105000-00007
Received:
06 December 2000
Accepted:
31 January 2001
Published:
01 May 2001

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟488,419.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The krux of the matter is, homosexuality is "unnatural" , and no human is born a homosexual, It's a "Learned Process"
I guess this is true in a way, in the sense that these and other falsehoods are being peddled as the basis of something claimed to be an actual medical treatment.

Reactions: SilverBear
Upvote 0