Gal 4 "under the Law" vs "under Grace" in Romans 6 and not sinning

love2obey

Mar 14, 2007
✟15,595.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant is Jesus. In many ways, prior to Jesus, the Lord tried to keep His people from sinning and the condemnation of sin. Jesus is the last straw. When we truly accept Jesus and what He has done for us at the cross, out of love for Him and what He has done, we dont sin. Also, a burning sensation in our heart will generate in just the thought of us doing what cause His death, our sins. In and with Jesus, it all ends. He is the promise.
Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
God dindnt make a mistake that He had to correct. He just kept trying in many ways to keep us from being lost. he went as far giving us a reminder in our clothes. Num 15:3-41. Let us keep in mind that the following words were said to Israel who then read the Torah and today to us who read the bible.
John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are building your entire argument on what your English version of the Bible decides to use as the translation of the Greek word δέ. All throughout Scripture this word is translated mostly as but.
Not only that, your other "foundation" is the English word 'is' translated from the Greek word ἐγγύς. Look up the definition.

What is clear in any English translation you pick is that many years after the cross this Hebrew author is still claiming that "whatever it is" is still in effect and not yet vanished or disappeared. Even the most antinomian translations can't hide the fact that it's ready to and not yet "destroyed".

New International Version
By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

New Living Translation
When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear.

English Standard Version
In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Berean Study Bible
In speaking of a new covenant, He has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Berean Literal Bible
In saying, "new," He has made obsolete the first; and that which is growing old and aging is near vanishing.

New American Standard Bible
When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

King James Bible
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth oldis ready to vanish away.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
By saying, a new covenant, He has declared that the first is old. And what is old and aging is about to disappear.

International Standard Version
In speaking of a "new" covenant, he has made the first one obsolete, and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

NET Bible
When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
In that he said, “New”, he has made the first old, and that which is outdated and old is near destruction.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
God made this new promise and showed that the first promise was outdated. What is outdated and aging will soon disappear.

New American Standard 1977
When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Jubilee Bible 2000
In that he says, New, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to vanish away.

King James 2000 Bible
In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and grows old is ready to vanish away.

American King James Version
In that he said, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to vanish away.

American Standard Version
In that he saith, A new covenant he hath made the first old. But that which is becoming old and waxeth aged is nigh unto vanishing away.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Now in saying a new, he hath made the former old. And that which decayeth and groweth old, is near its end.

Darby Bible Translation
In that he says New, he has made the first old; but that which grows old and aged [is] near disappearing.

English Revised Version
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. But that which is becoming old and waxeth aged is nigh unto vanishing away.

Webster's Bible Translation
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and groweth old is ready to vanish away.

Weymouth New Testament
By using the words, "a new Covenant," He has made the first one obsolete; but whatever is decaying and showing signs of old age is not far from disappearing altogether.

World English Bible
In that he says, "A new covenant," he has made the first old. But that which is becoming old and grows aged is near to vanishing away.

Young's Literal Translation
in the saying 'new,' He hath made the first old, and what doth become obsolete and is old is nigh disappearing.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "obsolete"?

Upvote 0

love2obey

Mar 14, 2007
✟15,595.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those hell bent to keep days don't read our posts as truth. Out of sight is out of mind. I could quote the false prophet all day long and all I would get back is personal attacks. There is absolutely no acknowledgement that she was wrong to write what she wrote. The doctrines they believe came with the stamp of her approval, yet they tell us they only get their beliefs from scripture. What a waste posting to them. I post my rebuttals for the lurkers. I pray they too will not be deceived by the cults.

Bob, in our conversations have I ever quoted Ms. White?
Better yet, in any of my post, have I ever quoted Ms.White? it is topic in my conversation when someone brings it up. It is not the topic of my core of beliefs. I am not into her teachings, you are. I am into Christ. You may need to readjust or refocus, and see where and in what do you believe in.
In political terms, I didnt vote for Obama, I voted against Bush. Get to know what your beliefs are so you know in who and what you believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
Grafted into the Olive Tree
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Do you understand the meaning of the word "obsolete"?

This is why it's so hard and sometimes downright embarrassing to form arguments based on incorrect English translations.
The Greek word here is παλαιόω. = old. That's it. Old. Obsolete is inserted where there is no need for it.

So back to square one. Does your beloved verse say that "whatever it is" has vanished/disappeared/been destroyed or that it is ready to vanish, or WILL be vanished?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So back to square one.

You have latched onto this part of a verse, but have ignored the Sinai covenant of bondage in Galatians chapter 4.

When will you deal with the passage that proves you are wrong?

You can keep trying to ignore it, but it will not go away.

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

You want to be the child of the bondwoman, which is the Sinai covenant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bob, in our conversations have I ever quoted Ms. White?
Better yet, in any of my post, have I ever quoted Ms.White? it is topic in my conversation when someone brings it up. It is not the topic of my core of beliefs. I am not into her teachings, you are. I am into Christ. You may need to readjust or refocus, and see where and in what do you believe in.
In political terms, I didnt vote for Obama, I voted against Bush. Get to know what your beliefs are so you know in who and what you believe.
What makes you think I don't know what I believe? Not only do I know what I believe, I also know what you believe. You may not know it but you are mimicking ellen and not the Bible. You don't have to quote her. I am quoting her and you tell me you believe her. ellen was a liar and you ignore that fact, too bad.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Those hell bent to keep days don't read our posts as truth. Out of sight is out of mind. I could quote the false prophet all day long and all I would get back is personal attacks. There is absolutely no acknowledgement that she was wrong to write what she wrote. The doctrines they believe came with the stamp of her approval, yet they tell us they only get their beliefs from scripture. What a waste posting to them. I post my rebuttals for the lurkers. I pray they too will not be deceived by the cults.
Same for me.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Those who sin have no salvation. It is the basis of all bible teachings. It is the main and only reason why there is a redeemer and savior. Why God has done all that He has done for humanity so it can be restored, saved. Not keeping the Sabbath is a sin, therefore, one will loose its salvation just as any other sin will be the cause of it too. Sadly, you are so stuck, hung-up on not keeping the law, that you are missing the point. How badly damaged by sin we are. Many of us will not be found in heaven with Jesus because of their tempers and attitudes, our unwillingness to change.
The law and all that the bible has to teach us is not to put a yoke on our neck. It is there to show us a need to change and how to achieve the change. It was lost when sin became part of us so now we need to get rid of the problem, sin, and accept the solution, Jesus as redeemer. The bible also teaches us that thru Jesus testimony we can see changes in our character possible and thru the empowerment of the Holy Spirit achieve them.
Let us never forget that the disciples walked with Jesus, they believed in Jesus. Yet, until they were able to walk like Jesus, they were not saved. and what were their sins? The same can be said of many of us in churches today. It can be so simple and yet so deadly as to you being lost because of not keeping the Sabbath and me for hating you for not doing so. Sin, the will of the devil, can manifest itself in us in many ways.
Phil 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
Then you have no salvation by your own free will admission. That means you're not a Christian. Why are you posting here?

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Genesis 4:10 And He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to Me from the ground. 11 So now you are cursed from the earth, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.12 When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield its strength to you. A fugitive and a vagabond you shall be on the earth.” 13 And Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is greater than I can bear!
Genesis 3:16 To the woman He said: “I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children; Your desire shall be for your husband, And he shall rule over you.”

SHOULD I CONTINUE?
Please do as I've not caught what your point is. I simply don't believe you answered my question although you did post and quote me.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 4:10 And He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to Me from the ground. 11 So now you are cursed from the earth, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.12 When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield its strength to you. A fugitive and a vagabond you shall be on the earth.” 13 And Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is greater than I can bear!
Genesis 3:16 To the woman He said: “I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children; Your desire shall be for your husband, And he shall rule over you.”

SHOULD I CONTINUE?

Excellent answer! But since it is "from the Word of God" and deals directly with the question asked - some who post here may not "get it".

I would add 1 Cor 6, Romans 6 and Matt 7.

Let's start with 1 Corinthians 6.

7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

====================== next Romans 6

Romans 6 -
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness

2 Cor 5:10
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad

Romans 2
5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Matt 7
16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits. 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

love2obey

Mar 14, 2007
✟15,595.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Excellent answer! But since it is "from the Word of God" and deals directly with the question asked - some who post here may not "get it".

I would add 1 Cor 6, Romans 6 and Matt 7.

Let's start with 1 Corinthians 6.

7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

====================== next Romans 6

Romans 6 -
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness

2 Cor 5:10

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad

Romans 2
5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

I always like to go the beginning. It is the source of what is there after. Even Jesus and the apostles quoted from the beginning. If we were to take the time to read thoroughly the NT, we will find that many of the things that Jesus and the apostles say are taken from the OT. Ex 19:5 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel. 1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. In 1 Peter 2, the apostle quoted the OT at least 5 times. Isaiah 8:14, 28:16, 53:9, Psa 118:22. Nothing new just a different way of saying it since the OT teachers in their days changed things to please themselves. And today, nothing new again as religions today are trying to change everything as Jesus and the apostles did so it can please people so churches can get full. Full of what? on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
When is that day? Let be clear on that. the New Covenant is what Rom 2:15 states and that happens when Jesus is our redeemer. Those days we testify who is Jesus to us, we will change and on 16 (on the day when) we will be judged by our actions. 2 different days where the first days will say of us what will happen the last day.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0