Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a member of the US Armed Forces I was upset over this because I appreciate very much the efforts and sacrifices the Canadian Forces are making in Afghanistan. While this might have been a joke it shows again that Fox news is nothing but a joke.

**http&

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As a member of the US Armed Forces I was upset over this because I appreciate very much the efforts and sacrifices the Canadian Forces are making in Afghanistan. While this might have been a joke it shows again that Fox news is nothing but a joke.

**http&

Thank you. Some things aren't jokes.

Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. Some things aren't jokes.

Personally, Im more offended by the complete ignorance toward our military's record. Yes, our equipment may be somewhat outdated, but they seem to have forgotten that we managed to burn down their Whitehouse.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When it's a joke that both the audience and the joke teller know is a joke, that's one thing. It's another thing to mock and ridicule or to spread ignorant statements to an audience that doesn't know better. And then there's the neutral zone of comedy, that only really good comics should dare to go. And then there's that neutral zone area that's even more dangerous because it's in the outlying regions of Romulan space, and the Romulans protecting it don't really have the newest facts or figures or the most current rules of law and they were the ones who scored really poorly on the Romulan Army Entry Test, and going there is really really dangerous and it's a guarantee red shirts will be killed and that only Captian Kirk himself should go there.

Seems like Fox's Red Eye's talking heads are a bunch of redshirts who got ahold of a roundabout and thought they'd venture into the dangerous part of the Neutral Zone for a laugh. And ended up failing.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think saying it's a joke is a cop out. Yes, it's a joke. But just because it's a joke doesn't mean that it wasn't offensive. There are jokes that are lighthearted and funny, even if it's making fun of someone. There are jokes that are distasteful but can still be taken in good faith if the right person says with it the correct voice inflection and within the proper context.

Take the proper context, the proper voice, and the proper person away and that distasteful, yet funny joke, becomes incredibly offensive and unfunny. "Red Eye" failed to get even one of those correct. Given the jokes made in the OP, who said the jokes, and what the subject matter is, even I was angry over them and I'm not Canadian. To me it's blatantly obvious that these jokes were mean spirited. It just comes across as some bully making fun of some kid on the playground. This is why "Red Eye" fails so badly, it doesn't understand how to do comedy. What it calls a joke is just offensive. I get the feeling that a lot of conservatives, such as Ann Coulter, just don't understand comedy. The jokes themselves were just bad too. It'd take nothing short of a comedic genius to make those funny (seriously, calling making fun of the name "Leslie" was 4 year old humor), which Red Eye surely isn't.

It's what Sally said. Subject matter like this should only be approached by people who are very good at comedy, and that isn't Red Eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0