Formal Debate Peanut Gallery - Mary is the Queen Mother of the Church whom we can as

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,136.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Reactions: AMR

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just wanted everyone to know the dialog will start soon. I will try to get it started late tonight and post. I had a sick kid and that was an unexpected surprise so I could not post the past day or so. But all is good now. Look for a post tomorrow as I will post late tonight. Thank you everyone. May God be with both of us. This will be a fun dialog I think.

Upvote 0

Chris12

Sep 24, 2014
✟1,003.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted everyone to know the dialog will start soon. I will try to get it started late tonight and post. I had a sick kid and that was an unexpected surprise so I could not post the past day or so. But all is good now. Look for a post tomorrow as I will post late tonight. Thank you everyone. May God be with both of us. This will be a fun dialog I think.

Take your time brother, children and family come first. I will keep your child in my prayers.

God Bless you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Normally I would argue that prayers to the dead are forbidden by the Isaiah 8:19-20 text. But I think there is an RCC tradition that is invented sometime in the last century about Mary being resurrected - assumed bodily into heaven.

So then - like Moses and Elijah in Matt 17 - she is alive and in heaven - if one is to believe that tradition... which I assume some Catholics do.

But like Moses and Elijah - nobody is supposed to worship, bow down to, serve or pray to them.

(So there! -- that should generate some added momentum for discussion on this thread-about-the-debate.)

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Revelation 12 (NKJV)

Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars. 2 Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth.

3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. 4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born. 5 She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne. 6 Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.

Satan Thrown Out of Heaven
7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

The Woman Persecuted
13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child. 14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent. 15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The woman in Rev 12 is the Church - the Jewish nation and then the Christian church. Pagan Rome tries to kill Christ at his birth - and then during the 1260 years of the dark ages - the woman is forced to flee from persecution.

At the end of that 1260 period - in Rev 13 some pretty interesting things happen.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
The woman in Rev 12 is the Church - the Jewish nation and then the Christian church. Pagan Rome tries to kill Christ at his birth - and then during the 1260 years of the dark ages - the woman is forced to flee from persecution.

At the end of that 1260 period - in Rev 13 some pretty interesting things happen.

Must be your Tradition teaching you that IMO. I read nothing of the sort in that passage. Is says absolutely nothing of 1260 years(but rather days), the Jewish nation or the Christian church. That you had to add. Isn't there a prohibition to adding to that book?

Also pretty sure it was Herod who tried to have the Christ child killed fearing his kingship be taken. You can't blame everything on Rome even if they were influential at the time.
Now why can't the 1260 days be the time spent avoiding Herod in Egypt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,136.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just posted my first post. Hopefully it will be up tommorrow and you all can judge for yourself how Jewish this is. :) God bless you!

In Christ the King through Mary the Queen Mother,

Athanasias

It has been reviewed; first post is up: #2

Upvote 0

Chris12

Sep 24, 2014
✟1,003.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just posted my first post. Hopefully it will be up tommorrow and you all can judge for yourself how Jewish this is. :) God bless you!

In Christ the King through Mary the Queen Mother,

Athanasias

Hello! I do see your post is up, and if you will allow me the time to read thoroughly and consider prayerfully all you have said, and then respond.

Thank you for your kindness and patience with me.

:)

God Bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Should be an interesting thread. One quick comment. From Post #2 Athanasius:

"Catholics and the early Church historically also see the Great women of Revelation 12 who gave birth to Jesus the King who rule with a rod of iron to be Mary. "

Because this can't be and isn't true per Catholic teaching, it means this conclusion can't be true:

"It shows that she is crowned with 12 stars(representing the 12 apostles or the Church and 12 tribes of Israel) and is seen there as both Queen of the Church and Mother to all who believe in Christ(Rev 12:17, Jn 19:26-27). "

What do I mean?

The verses say Mary pained in birth. That would be a normal human birth that means her virginity ended.

Some, however, teach de fide that Mary was an ever-virgin. As such, she could not give birth in pain. Aquinas for example would be aghast that some Catholics try to make this Rev 12 association to Mary in their zeal to believe she is Queen of Heaven. It is self-contradictory and thus false.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to thank my sister in Christ Chris12 for agreeing to dialog on this and for her prayers for both of my sick child and both of us for this dialog. I want to begin with a prayer.

Heavenly Father, you loved humanity so much even when we fell far away from you that you gave Israel another covenant and when that was broken because of our sinfulness you gave them another and another until your final perfect covenant was revealed when you reached down from heaven and gave us your only begotten Son, the perfect gift to mankind to restore us in you. And in perfect love He gave his life for us and offered himself back to you and sent the Church the Holy Spirit to guide her in all truth and love. In the Spirit of Truth and love then we ask you to bless this dialog and send your same Holy Spirit which mirrors the love between You and your Son and give us each charity when we disagree. Help us to discern Oh Holy Spirit your will for us and strengthen the gifts you given us at baptism. Bless Both of us to be open to hearing one another and help eradicate the pride and prejudice in each ofus and all who read this dialog. Restore the Church again to its original unity in love and help us overcome that which have separated Catholic and Non Catholic Christians for almost 500 years. Come Holy Spirit renew the hearts of your faithful and enkindle within then the fire of your love. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

There is so much to be said here as whole College courses have been taught and several books written on this very subject of the blessed Virgin Mary and her role in Salvation history. I am honored to be able to share with you and all Catholic and non Catholic Christians alike some very simple things on why Catholic hold to Mary’s Queenship and think it’s a great idea to ask for her heavenly intercession. Its especially fitting given that apart from Christ Jesus our Lord historically speaking No one person is honored more in history or art more then the blessed Virgin Mary. Its also fitting given that we just recently celebrated her Immaculate Conception on the 8th (Perhaps another good dialog to have at another time) and will be honoring the many miracles that changed history through her intercession at Guadalupe on the 12th of this month. I have had the privilege also of being taught in Grad school by a former Jew who converted to Catholicism because He and many other Jewish converts have seen the fullness of doctrinal and historical fulfillments of Judaism in the Catholic Church alone. So I am able to bring with me some perspectives that some may not be aware of. So lets starts. I will keep it simple.

Catholics honor Mary(we call this honor “veneration”) and believe she is Queen of Heaven and can and does pray for the whole world and especially her Sons Church. Because of this we pray to her. What I mean when I say we pray to her is I mean we ask her for her heavenly intercession asking her to pray for us. When Catholics use the term pray in reference to Mary or a saint they do not mean worship. Prayer has numerous meanings. It can mean worship and when it refers to God often as the Lords prayer shows us but it can also mean simply “to ask another human being” as most dictionary’s will confirm.

It comes from the term prithie or “I pray thee” or “I ask you”. These are cultural things that most Catholics naturally just know and make distinction on. So when a Catholic says they pray to Mary they are asking her for her intercession and not worshipping her as they would a God or Goddess.

But why ask for her intercession? Well its very Jewish and very simple really for a few reasons. Most people are unaware that Orthodox Jews have traditionally always prayed to or asked for the intercession of their deceased saints or righteous ones known as the Tzaddkim. They do not worship them or pray as they would pray to the Father but they do venerate them give them honor and even visit their grave sites and ask for their intercessions. This does not violate the Jewish understanding of communicating with the dead given in the OT as one Rabbi Explains because they are not seeking knowledge like the witch of endor nor communicating through mediums but rather seeking prayer and intercession because they are one body and if one suffers in the body all suffer and feel that pain even after death.

Well that is also very Christian. St. Paul has a theology in his writings of the mystical one Body of Christ where if one suffers we all suffer(1 Cor 12:18-20; 24-26). Those in heaven are aware of our sufferings and are aware when we do good things like repent as Jesus tells us:

“ I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” (Lk 15:7).

St. John also shows us that those in heaven are aware of our prayers and intercessions and offer them to God in the form of incense (Rev 5:8).

So this Catholic idea of praying to or asking a saint for his intercession is very very Jewish and ancient but also Christian and biblical and historical. No wander that the early Church very early on began honoring and asking for Mary and the saints intercessions. They were following their Hebrew ancestors and scripture. Here is an article by one Jewish Rabbi explaining this. See how Christian it really is.

Is it okay to ask a deceased tzaddik to pray on my behalf? - Questions & Answers

Its no wander that many Jews are converting to the Catholic faith when they find Christ.

Now back to another Jewish idea that is the idea of Queen Mother. Its because we (the Catholic Church) see her( the Blessed Virgin Mary) as the New covenant fulfillment of the Davidic Queen Mother that we honor her. You see. All Davidic Kings had Queen Mothers. Jesus is a King(Rev 19:16) from the line of David(Matt 1:1). Mary is his Mother. Therefore as Jesus is our King Mary is also naturally the New Queen Mother of the Church.

When you Study scripture you will notice that every Davidic King had a Queen Mother. She was given a special place of honor at the Kings right hand and held influence on the king and kingdom. She shared the Kings reign(Jer 13:18-20). Bible Scholars tell us that the role of the Queen Mother or “Gebirah” in Hebrew (great Lady or Queen) involved interceding or pleading before the King for the people. A great example is found in the book of Kings:

“Bathshe'ba said, "Very well; I will speak for you to the king."So Bathshe'ba went to King Solomon, to speak to him on behalf of Adoni'jah. And the king rose to meet her, and bowed down to her; then he sat on his throne, and had a seat brought for the king's mother; and she sat on his right.Then she said, "I have one small request to make of you; do not refuse me." And the king said to her, "Make your request, my mother; for I will not refuse you." (1 Kings 2:18-20)

Catholics believe that every New Covenant fulfillment is greater and more real and powerful then their OT type. The Davidic King and his power was just a shadow of the good things to come in the new covenant in the real King from the line of David (Jesus). Likewise so too would the fulfillment of the Queen Mother.

One prophetic psalms that mentions the Queen Mother that many people pass over is the Christological psalm 45. This psalm is used and admitted by many scripture scholars and pastors to be a prophetic psalm speaking of the Christ the King from Davids line. And it surely does speak of this.

“You are the fairest of the sons of men;
grace is poured upon your lips;
therefore God has blessed you for ever….. In your majesty ride forth victoriously
for the cause of truth and to defend the right;
let your right hand teach you dread deeds! Your arrows are sharp
in the heart of the king's enemies;
the peoples fall under you. Your divine throne endures for ever and ever.
Your royal scepter is a scepter of equity;
you love righteousness and hate wickedness.
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you
with the oil of gladness above your fellows………(Psalm 45:2,4-7)

But what many Jewish converts have noticed and the early Church also picked up on was not just the Christological connection to this prophetic psalm but also the Mariological one regarding her as the Queen Mother in prophecy.

“at your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.
Hear, O daughter, consider, and incline your ear;
forget your people and your father's house; and the king will desire your beauty.
Since he is your lord, bow to him;”(Psalm 45:9-11)

Who else would this Psalm be referring to prophetically as the “Queen that stands in Gold at the right hand of the King” (Jesus)? Who else but Mary, the fulfillment of the Davidic Queen Mother. This Psalm is one of the beautiful prophetic psalms read and proclaimed prayerfully at Mass during the feast of the bodily Assumption of Mary(Yet another good Jewish dialog LOL).

Notice in the new Covenant Mary acts as a Queen Mother interceding for the wedding party and prompting Jesus Christ (our King) to do his first glorious act, and Jesus, who even though it was not his time yet to do so, obeyed her and did his first glorious act changing water into wine. He did not refuse her intercession. (Jn 2:1-11).

Catholics and the early Church historically also see the Great women of Revelation 12 who gave birth to Jesus the King who rule with a rod of iron to be Mary. It shows that she is crowned with 12 stars(representing the 12 apostles or the Church and 12 tribes of Israel) and is seen there as both Queen of the Church and Mother to all who believe in Christ(Rev 12:17, Jn 19:26-27). Just as Christ is the New King from the Line of David that far surpasses that role, so too she is the new covenant Queen Mother that far surpasses the Davidic Queen Mother in her role. This is why Catholics ask for her intercession. Its powerful. The prayer of the righteous avail much(James 5:16) and who is more righteous then those already in heaven with Jesus away from the distractions of sin? Especially if they have been given an office of Queen Mother to intercede for the Church.

It should be noted that the early Christian saw this connection too and it was natural for them and the early Church fathers to see this fulfillment. Many of them in their preaching and teaching called her “Lady or Sovereign” much like the Gebirah or Great lady or Queen of the Davidic kingdom. St. Ephrem the Syrian a great doctor and deacon in the 4th century called her “heavenly Queen”, The great early Marian Hymns of the 5th century sang by the early Christians known as the Akathist hymns refer to Mary as “Queen of the heavenly host”. St. John Damascene called her Queen, Ruler, and Lady.

So in closing in this first post. I hope everyone can see why the early Church and why the Catholic Church today honors Mary as Queen and ask for her prayers and intercessions. I look forward to hearing from you Chris12. God bless you!

Athanasias

All the best to the both of you and Mark. Woo hoo.

Choosing a seat, choosing a snack, relaxing for the spectacular show :cool:

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Must be your Tradition teaching you that IMO. I read nothing of the sort in that passage.

In this case - it is the Bible itself.

Is says absolutely nothing of 1260 years(but rather days)
Apocalyptic literature uses day for year - prophetic timelines.

This was established beyond question in Dan 9 with the 490 day -- (490 year timeline ) that Daniel said predicted the first coming of Christ ... and it works out perfectly.

We know that it is a confirmed Bible principle.

Also pretty sure it was Herod who tried to have the Christ child killed fearing his kingship be taken. You can't blame everything on Rome even if they were influential at the time.
Turns out - Herod was serving under the authority of Rome. He was not ruling in a rival nation or government - he was serving Rome.

In the text the devil anticipates the birth of Christ and waits to kill him - the devil uses Pagan Rome as his instrument - and then after the time of Christ we have the dark ages when the saints were persecuted and fled - for 1260 years. According to Benedict - that included the killing of about 50 million of the saints.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The argument for Mary "Queen of Heaven" -- a title not found in all of scripture is made based on extreme imagination and inference as we find in the OP.

“at your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.
Hear, O daughter, consider, and incline your ear;
forget your people and your father's house; and the king will desire your beauty.
Since he is your lord, bow to him;”(Psalm 45:9-11)

Who else would this Psalm be referring to prophetically as the “Queen that stands in Gold at the right hand of the King” (Jesus)? Who else but Mary, the fulfillment of the Davidic Queen Mother. This Psalm is one of the beautiful prophetic psalms read and proclaimed prayerfully at Mass during the feast of the bodily Assumption of Mary(Yet another good Jewish dialog LOL).
God the Son is the LORD of Mary. And of all the saints.

She bows to him as her Lord.

But she is a part of the body of Christ - and only in that sense does she qualify as the BRIDE of Christ according to Rev 19 and 2 Cor 11

I wish that you would bear with me in a little foolishness; but indeed you are bearing with me. 2 For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin. 3

The idea that we should imagine that Christ's Mother is married to Him as Queen is not allowed. But as a member of the body of Christ where He is her LORD - then she qualifies as "the bride of Christ" not individually but corporately.

Food for thought --

3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Yet to be fair the Bible DOES address the "Queen of Heaven" doctrine --

Jeremiah 7:18
The children gather wood, the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven; and they pour out drink offerings to other gods, that they may provoke Me to anger.

Jeremiah 44:17
But we will certainly do whatever has gone out of our own mouth, to burn incense to the queen of heaven and pour out drink offerings to her, as we have done, we and our fathers, our kings and our princes, in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. For then we had plenty of food, were well-off, and saw no trouble.

Jeremiah 44:18
But since we stopped burning incense to the queen of heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have lacked everything and have been consumed by the sword and by famine.”

Jeremiah 44:19
The women also said, “And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven and poured out drink offerings to her, did we make cakes for her, to worship her, and pour out drink offerings to her without our husbands’ permission?”

Jeremiah 44:25
Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, saying: ‘You and your wives have spoken with your mouths and fulfilled with your hands, saying, “We will surely keep our vows that we have made, to burn incense to the queen of heaven and pour out drink offerings to her.” You will surely keep your vows and perform your vows!’
26 Therefore hear the word of the Lord, all Judah who dwell in the land of Egypt: ‘Behold, I have sworn by My great name,’ says the Lord, ‘that My name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, “The Lord God lives.” 27 Behold, I will watch over them for adversity and not for good

in Christ,

Bob

i

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,136.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It was quicker than I thought to post, since what I began with was becoming too wordy, I simply ended it and decided that after Athanasias posts again I will begin addressing the points he has made.

I hope that is okay with everyone!

Chris, you are doing just fine, you picked a good opponent for your first discussion here, he is most patient and so am I. Take your time, and if you need help, feel free to ask.:)

Upvote 0

Chris12

Sep 24, 2014
✟1,003.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Chris, you are doing just fine, you picked a good opponent for your first discussion here, he is most patient and so am I. Take your time, and if you need help, feel free to ask.:)

Thank you very much! And yes I agree, both of you so far are very kind!

Upvote 0

Chris12

Sep 24, 2014
✟1,003.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would simply ask everyone to agree in prayer, and pray for Athanasias and his small family. The scripture says where two or more are gathered in my name I am there among you.. so I would ask everyone to pray with me, that God be them all and help them through this winter flu season, and heal them!

Dear Heavenly Father, I ask in Jesus precious name that you give strength and blessing upon the house of your servant - who has the screen name here in this thread of Athanasias. Please be with those in his household who are ill, and grant your presence, your peace, and a speedy recovery for them all.

In Jesus' Name I pray, your will be done above all things.

Amen.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully we are not referring to the old English Queen Mary. :p