Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Most recently I was with Assemblies of God (AG). I had previously attended Baptist, Christian (Disciples of Christ) and Open Bible churches.

However, in all of those I have always considered myself non-denominational, a C.S. Lewis style "Mere Christian", and thus a kind of honorary Anglican, and I always thought I would actually be Anglican eventually.

I left AG mainly over culture and politics, not theology. Essentially, it was/is too much influenced by "Christian Right" thinking for my comfort. The 2012 primaries brought that to a head. I was shocked and dismayed by how much support for Santorum there was amongst my AG brethren. I felt I didn't belong anywhere within American evangelicalism, and it was time to look to the mainstream.

My new church is both TEC and ELCA, and I've very been happy with it.

Upvote 0

servantdaniel

Sep 11, 2013
united states
✟7,621.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I just recently started attending an episcopal church. I am a Presbyterian, but when I moved I found the prebyterian churches in mu new city to be unfriendly and distant. I went to one episcopal church and met with the priest of the other in town. The fact that he made time to explain things and talk to me made me feel instantly welcome. I enjoyed the liturgy and the sense of community and belonging that this denomination seems to have. I was worried at first, because I don't have nice clothes anymore due to lack of work, and the Presbyterian church here mare me feel self conscience over that fact. My experience is a positive one and I look forward to continuing to worship with the Episcopal church

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So I noticed on my post about praying to Mary, that many of us have come from other denominations, particularly Baptist. If you came to TEC from another denomination, share your story!

I came from the Roman Church precisely because TEC (at that time. This would no longer be applicable) appeared to have retained all that was right about the historic church while rejecting the corrupt Medieval practices and beliefs identified in the Thirty-nine Articles (saint invocation, Transubstantiation, the Romish definition of Purgatory, five non-sacraments, Papacy, etc.).

Upvote 0

Crandaddy

Classical Theist
Aug 8, 2012
✟21,142.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
So I noticed on my post about praying to Mary, that many of us have come from other denominations, particularly Baptist. If you came to TEC from another denomination, share your story!

Well, I was raised Methodist until about age 14 and then went with my family over to the Southern Baptist Church, where I remained to my mid-20's. By that time, I think I was just burnt out on evangelical Protestantism. I simply was not getting what I needed spiritually from it. I felt spiritually malnourished, and I needed something more substantial...

It was during Lent of 2007 when I finally decided to give the Anglicans a shot. There are a good few Episcopalians on my mom's side of the family, and the beauty of the few Episcopalian services I had attended with them years before had left an impression. In fact, I think the beauty of the Anglican liturgy was the very first thing that hooked me. From the very moment that service began, it was like I was breathing in fresh air. I had been used to very stark, non-liturgical services dominated by shallow and extremely boring sermons that sometimes droned on for 45 minutes or longer (I can even recall thinking of having to endure long, boring sermons as a sort of penance when I was a child ^_^), but the focus of the Anglican service on the Eucharist, instead of on the preacher--well, that had an especially profound impact on me...

In fact, I think witnessing the Eucharistic liturgy at that service is what convinced me of the truth of the Real Presence. Before that service, I don't think I believed in the Real Presence, but very shortly thereafter, I was most certainly convinced of it--however, I'm unable to account for what might have caused this to happen, unless it was having witnessed the Eucharistic liturgy of that service. I had not exactly spent that short period of time in great thought. Rather, much like C.S. Lewis's trip to Whipsnade Zoo, it was as if I had come to the realization that I had awakened from a long slumber....but that Eucharist was the smelling salt, I think. :D

Afterward, I began earnestly looking into Anglicanism, and in rather short order I decided to call Canterbury home.

For those more Catholic orientated Anglicans, what drew you to the Anglican church as opposed to the Roman Catholic?
The Pope, mainly. I've never seen why I need to accept Rome's distinctive papal ecclesiology. Also, I've never agreed with Rome's position on Anglican Orders, and I'm not quite sold on mandatory priestly (or even episcopal) celibacy.

But I don't think that any of these are insurmountable hurdles. In fact, I seem to have become increasingly more inclined toward Rome since I've been Anglican, and I've pretty much decided that if I go anywhere else, it will be to the other side of the Tiber.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I came from the United Methodist Church. My dad was a Wesleyan minister for about four years before becoming a United Methodist pastor. Except for worshipping in a Presbyterian Church while in college, I remained a Methodist until I was 57 years old. I suppose you could say I left the UMC over style of worship. I found myself feeling empty after worship as if I had not really worshiped at all. My church was becoming so contemporary it seemed as if a service had deteriorated into parading one act after another across the stage. I called it "performance theology." If I wanted to be entertained I would have bought tickets for the theatre. I began visiting other churches and fell in love with The Episcopal Church's liturgy. Also communion open to all Christians was a real big deal for me.

I had explored and considered Orthodoxy but never Rome. My reasons are not dissimilar to what other here have stated...widespread abuse by clergy such that I doubted I could ever respect or trust their priests, cover-up of abuse by hierarchy, papacy, infallibility, a closed communion table, excommunication of the divorced, annulment magic (i.e. okay we decided you were never really married), and "Christianity plus" (or all of the add-ons by the RC's that are not based in Scripture). If not for TEC, I would sooner have been Orthodox than the church of Rome.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My church was becoming so contemporary it seemed as if a service had deteriorated into parading one act after another across the stage. I called it "performance theology." If I wanted to be entertained I would have bought tickets for the theatre.
My breaking point came when my former church had a ballet dancer on the stage at one part of a worship service. A disdain for ballet is any man's birthright but I especially objected to it in the context of worship. Felt out of place.

Of course, a guest church band doing a cover of Coldplay's "Yellow" didn't much help either.

Upvote 0

Zoe1188

Jul 23, 2013
Massachusetts, USA
✟7,782.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My breaking point came when my former church had a ballet dancer on the stage at one part of a worship service. A disdain for ballet is any man's birthright but I especially objected to it in the context of worship. Felt out of place.

Of course, a guest church band doing a cover of Coldplay's "Yellow" didn't much help either.

I had the same problem at a congregational church I went to. So much focus was placed on contemporary style "praise band" that one Sunday the cut the scripture reading out all together.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I came to ECUSA (as TEC was then known) in the era when that kind of "worship" was popular to do. Then I found that it was common in ECUSA, too, and I had mistakenly thought that this church believed what I read in the books it had always believed. That was the beginning my journey to the Anglican church.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I came to ECUSA (as TEC was then known) in the era when that kind of "worship" was popular to do. Then I found that it was common in ECUSA, too, and I had mistakenly thought that this church believed what I read in the books it had always believed. That was the beginning my journey to the Anglican church.

That's what I was thinking, too. "Contemporary" worship is common in the Episcopal Church.

I do think a Novus Ordo "Guitar Mass" or the post-Vatican II folksy Bible ballads can have a certain appeal to them and be reverent in their own rite (perhaps echoing Franciscan spirituality), but I draw the line at drums, electric guitars, praise music, liturgical dance, etc.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's what I was thinking, too. "Contemporary" worship is common in the Episcopal Church.

I do think a Novus Ordo "Guitar Mass" or the post-Vatican II folksy Bible ballads can have a certain appeal to them and be reverent in their own rite (perhaps echoing Franciscan spirituality), but I draw the line at drums, electric guitars, praise music, liturgical dance, etc.

Yes, I think in a Franciscan spirit is in a way the best setting for some of those songs (the ones that are actually half-ok, as opposed to the ones that are real stinkers.)

It's interesting though that Franciscan worship is meant to be for Franciscans, like all the liturgies of special orders. I can't hep wonder if there is a good reason that the particular liturgical practices of special religious orders are not meant to be just transferred whole-hog into parish settings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I came to the Anglican Church from an open "Plymouth" brethren assembly. My conversion came via a study of Eastern Orthodoxy, but Anglican Catholicism was ultimately a better fit.

Roman Catholicism didn't even cross my mind until I had learned about the Anglican expression of catholicism. While I have since considered crossing the Tiber, I retain my doubts about the papal claims, the seemingly rigid theology, and the tightly closed communion characteristic of the Roman Church. I've also worshipped as a Lutheran for a while, but there's something missing from the modernised Lutheran liturgies in my opinion.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Roman Catholicism didn't even cross my mind until I had learned about the Anglican expression of catholicism. While I have since considered crossing the Tiber, I retain my doubts about the papal claims, the seemingly rigid theology

That's probably the #1 reason I am not Roman Catholic. Despite having a fondness for alot of the devotional life of Catholicism. I've explored Eastern Orthodoxy and read some of the modern Orthodox theologians like Schmemann, and the official Catholic attitude still is rigidly scholastic in comparison, with alot of speculative theology held up as inerrant, though rank-and-file priests in the US might often dissent from this official position for various reasons.

Currently I attend a small Independent Catholic Church that has a pastor that is overtaxed due to health reasons. I also keep up some ties with the local Episcopalians.

Upvote 0

Yardstick

Episcopalian
Oct 12, 2008
Kansas City, MO
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's probably the #1 reason I am not Roman Catholic.

I've explored Eastern Orthodoxy and read some of the modern Orthodox theologians like Schmemann, and the general Catholic attitude still is rigid in comparison, with alot of speculative theology held up as inerrant, though rank-and-file priests in the US might often dissent from this official position for various reasons. I actually found some relief from scrupulosity in the Orthodox approach to things. However, in the end, I did not become Eastern Orthodox for practical reasons.

Currently I attend a small Independent Catholic Church that has a pastor that is overtaxed due to health reasons. I also keep up some ties with the local Episcopalians.

Purely out of curiosity, what lead to your decision to go with an Independent Catholic parish over an Episcopal one?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Purely out of curiosity, what lead to your decision to go with an Independent Catholic parish over an Episcopal one?

The Episcopal church was more evangelical or charismatic in focus. During Lent once I went to the cathedral office and asked for the sacrament of Reconciliation and the folks behind the counter looked a bit shocked, like I'd just asked them to raise the dead (the priest was still good enough to know what I was talking about, and agreed to hear my confession). I've got alot of devotion to saints and I like sacramentals, as well, and these can be found in Independent Catholicism. I consider myself closer to the Affirming Catholicism of Rowan Williams, and that just isn't really available locally. Most people Episcopalian churches here in this part of the USA are evangelical, even if they are into a certain amount of ritual the preaching and practices are much more broad church.

In addition, the particular Independent Catholic community just feels different, I think I can feel God's presence there in a strong way and they were very welcoming. The first time I visited, the bishop and priests were not there as the bishop was ill at the hospital, the sacrament was reserved and the subdeacon was giving a sermon, a very moving sermon that really surprised me and wasn't the type of thing I expected at a "liberal" church (I'd grown up with that type of Methodist religion). I haven't firmly decided to join yet, but I am getting closer and closer to doing so. I've thought about trying to keep some ties with the Episcopal cathedral church, just because I've visited there so often and I have a good relationship with a priest there (he's also given me some spiritual direction and books to read at times).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mick116
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's probably the #1 reason I am not Roman Catholic. Despite having a fondness for alot of the devotional life of Catholicism. I've explored Eastern Orthodoxy and read some of the modern Orthodox theologians like Schmemann, and the official Catholic attitude still is rigidly scholastic in comparison, with alot of speculative theology held up as inerrant, though rank-and-file priests in the US might often dissent from this official position for various reasons.

It's funny though, but I don't really get that kind of impression from the more scholarly or higher up Catholic theologians. It seems a particular sort of sub-set that is very much of the mind-set of Trent or Vat I.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Episcopal church was more evangelical or charismatic in focus. During Lent once I went to the cathedral office and asked for the sacrament of Reconciliation and the folks behind the counter looked a bit shocked

Perhaps that was because people ordinarily to not go to the diocesan office to ask about receiving a sacrament (if you think confession to be one). Information about reserving the church for a wedding, how to become a member, or for information about Anglicanism perhaps--but not arranging for a private confession of sins. I can imagine whomever you were speaking with being unprepared to hear such an inquiry. :)

Upvote 0

Fotis Greece

May 25, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
✟7,715.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Hello! Personally I have an Eastern Orthodox backround. I was raised an Orthodox but growing up I realized that there are things in the Orthodox Church that I didn't like. The main reason was the big empasis of the Orthodox Church on tradition. I mean... here in Greece the services are held in the ancient greek. Uneducated people barely understand what is being said in the Church. And the I was attracted by Protestantism generally. The theology of Sola fide and Sola Scriptura anwered to my worries concerning the overempasis of tradition in the Orthodox Church. I searched for protestant churches to attend near my neighborhood but there was none. So I stoped searching. Then some Mormon missionaries approached me. I visited their church that was near my house. Being a fool I joined their church mostly because it was something different and their beliefs in the beginning seemed OK. Spending some time in the LDS church I realized their heresies and I decided to quit and find a real Christian Church. My love for the Reformation came back in my mind. And then I found the Anglican Communion. I studied the story of the English Reformation and I was amazed. Finally I had found a Reformed Apostolic Church. A church that combined Scripture authority Tradition and Reason in perfect way. The Anglican tradition truly holds the Spirit of the Early Christian Church.

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Fotis, that's very interesting you became Anglican in Greece... I know some people that go the opposite direction, from Anglican or Protestant to Eastern Orthodox. I even tried that route off and on for several years and just decided I had to leave too much behind that I valued, and embrace some dubious ideas (the EO's views of the validity of non-Orthodox sacraments are something I really question, and I could ground this in many western Christian traditional viewpoints, such as that of St. Augustine or many of the early Popes in Rome).

Upvote 0

Caladrius

Sinner
Oct 4, 2013
Canada
✟7,638.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

For those more Catholic orientated Anglicans, what drew you to the Anglican church as opposed to the Roman Catholic?

Though evangelical or reformed or protestant in many senses, I think I can call myself "Catholic-oriented"... :)

I was fanatically Roman from the beginning of my Catechumenate in May 2010, through my baptism in April 2011, until I began reading the Church Fathers in February 2012. That changed everything. I saw that they were Episcopal without being Roman. They emphasised clerical forgiveness of sins without the scruples of constant private confession. They had a hierarchy without extreme clericalism. They had Councils, not Dictators. They sang and prayed in their own languages, and had their own liturgies spread across the world! They were simple, but not simplistic. Most of all, they were focused on Christ as the epicenter of the Cosmos and of Human History - yet allowed prayers for the dead, and the intercession of saints.

Everything is on balance in classical Anglicanism. It does not ordain women, yet it respects them deeply and gives them many ministries. It never tips into hatred for the saints like extreme protestantism or excessive veneration for the saints like Eastern Orthodoxy. It never denies ancient Order like the presbyterians or congregationalists, but it never veers into authoritarianism like the Roman church has done. It is glorious, and needs to be preserved and defended at all costs.

Shame there's so little of it left... we must fight with prayer, love, and hard work. :)

Upvote 0