Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@Gxg

priests as they move between both sides of the physical conflict - not so nice... some blesses to riot, some try to stop conflict. Trigger point is position of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate). Some of maidans nazi said threats. Time will show.

Lord have mercy and save Ukraine from civil war.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I'm sad to say that if Russia conquers Ukraine, many Orthodox will think it's a good thing and gloss over it. I'm a bit tired of hearing, "yeah, well what about you Americans!" as a response. It's ridiculous.

When I was a kid, I would ask my dad for a toy. He's say no. I'd say, "Yeah, well, Eric's dad bought him that toy!" and my dad's response: "I'm not Eric's dad." And if I was being a jerk with my friend, Eric, my dad would yell at me and I'd say, "yeah, well Eric was doing it, too!" And my dad would say, "I'm not worried about Eric. We're talking about YOU!"

Same thing here. When we were in Iraq with "shock and awe" pounding the poor Iraqis, we heard Russians and non-American folks lambasting the U.S. I understood how they felt and agreed.

But this isn't Iraq. This isn't Vietnam or Afghanistan. This isn't the 1950's in Korea. This is 2014. The Russians just invaded a country and it looks like Soviet-style expansionism. America is off the table this time. Let's talk RUSSIA!

Prayers for Ukraine...it seems it will not be Ukraine for much longer.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They invaded a pro-russian province where they are welcomed. In todays newspaper there was a photo of an attractive slavic woman taking a self portrait with her cell phone in front of the russian troops and Armor. Its a tourist attraction at this point. Whoever the leader of Russia is, they can never let the Crimea go because it's their only warm water port and outlet to the mediterenean. Its more important to them than there economy. The same way America would defend guantanamo bay at all costs. Secondly it looks like there will be a referendum for secession, Its the best thing as the two sides hates each other, as they say a tall fence makes for good neighbors.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
yah, im missing how this is an invasion and takeover ...

So, troop movements violating agreements, violating air space, laying claim to government buildings, surrounding 'opposition' military bases, 'drilling' 150,000 troops just across the border whilst building trenches and various other things isn't an invasion?

Just because they haven't fired shots doesn't mean it isn't an invasion. They're achieving their goal through fear alone.

Ukraine is staring into an abyss and I really, really hope they aren't stupid enough to draw first blood, despite the fact they have every right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@Gurneyhalleck1

that if Russia conquers Ukraine, many Orthodox will think it's a good thing and gloss over it. - Its impossible, Putin will not do it. By the way, actually a lot of current citizens of Ukraine( some parts) are for reunion with Russia (or better to say - wanna come back to home).
Just for information (not sure that this video you will see on tv): west maidans mob occupied goverment building in the east city as they did it before on west. Look how east people evaluated this present of "freedom".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_bSPio5iQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2uexUQtPs

my opinion - not sure that Russia has need to take back any areas from Ukraine, but to see how crazy nazi and new thieves instead of previous wanna make failed state is not good way. They(independent creators of Kiev maidan) needed just to build(or kinda to simulate trying) real democracy. But they started from laws against Russian language, rejection of condemnation of Nazism and (whatta surprise) freedom for Timoshenko. +permanent presence of "right sector" ( kinda democratic conversation between member of this organisation and prosecutor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDxKuC4GNjk

in sum made bad picture of Ukraine's "Revolution".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, troop movements violating agreements, violating air space, laying claim to government buildings, surrounding 'opposition' military bases, 'drilling' 150,000 troops just across the border whilst building trenches and various other things isn't an invasion?

Just because they haven't fired shots doesn't mean it isn't an invasion. They're achieving their goal through fear alone.

Ukraine is staring into an abyss and I really, really hope they aren't stupid enough to draw first blood, despite the fact they have every right.

Sooo if some population of another country always wanted to be "joining" another they should not... aha...then why the UN talks about the "freedom of ethnic determination"? How come Kosovo then became independent or Serbia was "cut in pieces"? Why they allowed Bosnia to become independent? etc.
If a group of people want to go back to Russia who will stop them? Double standard any? :doh:"self determination" of people demands just that...they are allowed to determine what they want. :sorry:

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Sooo if some population of another country always wanted to be "joining" another they should not... aha...then why the UN talks about the "freedom of ethnic determination"? How come Kosovo then became independent or Serbia was "cut in pieces"? Why they allowed Bosnia to become independent? etc.
If a group of people want to go back to Russia who will stop them? Double standard any? :doh:"self determination" of people demands just that...they are allowed to determine what they want. :sorry:

Then that's a battle for the courtrooms.

Crimea is 60% Russian. What about the other 40%? I guess they just get ignored in this scenario.

Russia could have proposed secession instead of this idiocy. It's just greed and opportunistic bullheadedness.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Meantime many of us weep for our families and friends in Ukraine.

There are rights and wrongs on all sides - but it's the people who are suffering .

It's the people who need our prayers. People who have lost their husbands, sons, fathers in this latest expression of how the people wish to have a reasonable say in their future.

This is the country that has already suffered through genocide - it's still unknown exactly how many died through the starvation which was imposed by the forced removal of the very food stuffs they needed for survival.

Do I have to remind you how some people behaved in order to survive ?

Lord have mercy on Your people !

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

there is a difference between self determination and an invasion

if Crimea wants to become part of Russia, that is something that can be negotiated, there can be elections, we can even have Russia help supervise the referendum to make sure Kiev does not rig the ballot box

having the Russian Army in plain clothes surround Ukranian military bases and demand that they give up their weapons is not really a grass roots movement...

if Crimea wants to join Russia or become an autonomous state or whatever, there are ways to go about it
what is happening now is NOT the way

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Actually can someone tell me something. As you know from my postings I've always found Slavic people to be a bit odd, and that would be an understatement.

Why the heck isn't there a Pan-Slavic European Congress of some sort? They are the largest European ethnic group wIth 300 million people and what they all have in common is that they hate each other. If Africa can form an organization for cooperation between nations composed of varying tribes, so can the Slavs. The rest of us cant even figure these people out, they have to solve their own Slavic problems. Now if this is about oil pipelines then all bets are off.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then that's a battle for the courtrooms.

Crimea is 60% Russian. What about the other 40%? I guess they just get ignored in this scenario.

Russia could have proposed secession instead of this idiocy. It's just greed and opportunistic bullheadedness.

It will never be 100% never have been never will be...Bosnia and other Yugoslavian "ethnic" groups who asked for "self determination" never had 100% no point here... that is mute point for sure. Were the 50% Bosnians ignored? I guess so according to your logic then.

Whatever Russia would have chosen to do the media in all of the western world would have criticized it:doh: that is what is wrong. A coupe of days I was listening to Fox that said how terrible Russia dooes not get "involved" and they should go figure!

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is a difference between self determination and an invasion

if Crimea wants to become part of Russia, that is something that can be negotiated, there can be elections, we can even have Russia help supervise the referendum to make sure Kiev does not rig the ballot box

having the Russian Army in plain clothes surround Ukranian military bases and demand that they give up their weapons is not really a grass roots movement...

if Crimea wants to join Russia or become an autonomous state or whatever, there are ways to go about it
what is happening now is NOT the way

Even the American media said that they surrendered cheering.... that's the last I heard... IF that is NOT wanting to join Russia then what is it?

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anhelyna Greeks are starving as well as many countries in Europe do live beyond their means in Portugal even Spain... Europe is coming down IMHO and no one cares ...I do not expect things to get better but worse :( The economy is going down even here in the US. *sigh*

Many have families.... who are starving or they are heading there...
I just met a Ukranian priest that just came ...he said to me that there is "chaos" and his country does not deserve it :(

No one does no one deserves it...the people are suffering if Russia can help out why not?

If elections come after they assume power and etc. like it happened in other countries and the Russian Army withdraws it would be the ideal but ....I am all for putting some food in their plates and organize them.... I would have said yes to Russia to come in to help out with the Greek economy for crying out loud lol....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.