Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You just proved my point. Impossible for anybody but Jesus

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth.
6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Perhaps you've missed these passages. It was possible for Zacharias and Elizabeth. And they were righteous before God.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth.
6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Perhaps you've missed these passages. It was possible for Zacharias and Elizabeth. And they were righteous before God.
There is none righteous, not one -

Romans 3:10 -

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

There is the issue of saying that someone always does what is righteous and the issue of saying that someone practices or trains in righteousness and repentance.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 1

God imputes righteousness, we can't be righteous enough on our own.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Blashphemy

According to Galatians 5:14, anyone who loves their neighbor fulfills the whole law. This is not something anyone can do perfectly throughout their entire life, but is something that anyone can do.

James 2:10 -

Yes, breaking the law has the same penalty...so? James was encouraging them to obey the law more consistently, not to give up on obeying it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I just showed you Zacharias and Elizabeth were righteous before God.

God said Abraham was righteous.

Genesis 7:1
Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.

Abraham believed there were righteous people.

Genesis 18:23
And Abraham came near and said, “Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

God said there were righteous people.

Exodus 23
6 “You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor in his dispute.
7 Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.

Solomon said there were righteous people.

1 Kings 8:32
Then hear in heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness.

How is it you don't believe what the Bible says? I just gave you three witnesses.

Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Brother Patrick,

Romans 3:10-18 is hyperbole. They are exagerations to make a point. One of the tests to determine if a passage contains this style of communication is to ask the question, is it true?

Paul was using hyperbole to emphasize his point from verse 9 –all "are under sin". He then proceeded to unpack one exageration after another to make his case.

We do the same in our language. For example, consider the sentence, "John is always working". Of course John doesn't work 24/7. That was not the point. It's that he works often.

The first exaggeration from Paul was "none is righteous, no, not one" (v. 10b). If not, this would make the believing recipients of this letter unsaved, to include everyone saved at Pentecost –to include Paul himself.

The book of Romans has been summarized as "the righteousness of God". How could Paul write this book unless he was righteous? Ironically, in the same chapter (3), Paul writes about the righteousness of God that makes people righteous (3:21).

It wasn't Paul's point that no righteous people have ever existed (Romans 4:3). He was describing mankind as a whole. We "all have sinned and fall short".

In Christ!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. There are many righteous folks. Many even post on this forum. They are righteous, and they aren't afraid to tell you so; however, something else can be said of these people. . . Jesus didn't come for them.

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” (Luke 5:32)
Brother Patrick,

Romans 3:10-18 is hyperbole. They are exagerations to make a point. One of the tests to determine if a passage contains this style of communication is to ask the question, is it true?

Paul was using hyperbole to emphasize his point from verse 9 –all "are under sin". He then proceeded to unpack one exageration after another to make his case.

We do the same in our language. For example, consider the sentence, "John is always working". Of course John doesn't work 24/7. That was not the point. It's that he works often.

The first exaggeration from Paul was "none is righteous, no, not one" (v. 10b). If not, this would make the believing recipients of this letter unsaved, to include everyone saved at Pentecost –to include Paul himself.

The book of Romans has been summarized as "the righteousness of God". How could Paul write this book unless he was righteous? Ironically, in the same chapter (3), Paul writes about the righteousness of God that makes people righteous (3:21).

It wasn't Paul's point that no righteous people have ever existed (Romans 4:3). He was describing mankind as a whole. We "all have sinned and fall short".

In Christ!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every single law can be obeyed correctly, so anyone can fulfill the whole law.
Brother Soyeong,

You surely don't imply we are still under the Mosaic law as a rule of life, correct? You must be describing our ability to fulfil the law through Christ Matthew 22:36-40; Luke 10:25-28; Mark 23:28-31.

In Christ!

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just showed you Zacharias and Elizabeth were righteous before God.

God said Abraham was righteous.

Genesis 7:1
Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.

Abraham believed there were righteous people.

Genesis 18:23
And Abraham came near and said, “Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

God said there were righteous people.

Exodus 23
6 “You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor in his dispute.
7 Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.

Solomon said there were righteous people.

Then hear in heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness.

How is it you don't believe what the Bible says? I just gave you three witnesses.
All imputed by God - imputed, accounted as, counted as - look it up

Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. There are many righteous folks. Many even post on this forum. They are righteous, and they aren't afraid to tell you so; however, something else can be said of these people. . . Jesus didn't come for them.

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” (Luke 5:32)

Without Jesus Christ we all would be helpless and hell bound. I absolutely LOVE Romans 3:21-22: "But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe"

There are some on this forum who believe we can achieve a state of sinlessness in this life. While I commend them for their commitment to sanctification, we will sin until we die. This reality of course is not an excuse to sin. We are no longer to live for ourselves, but pick up our cross (an instrument of death) daily and follow Jesus.

"and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised." 2 Corinthians 5:15

In Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
While I commend them for their commitment to sanctification

I differ on this. I don't commend them. I pity them, as they have severed themselves from Christ by refusing His righteousness to retain their own. Paul had a good deal to say on this subject, and not much was in the way on commendation.

Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I differ on this. I don't commend them. I pity them, as they have severed themselves from Christ by refusing His righteousness to retain their own. Paul had a good deal to say on this subject, and not much was in the way on commendation.
Brother thatbrain,

If they are seeking self righteousness outside of Christ's righteousness, then I would agree.

In Christ!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Was Jesus urging us to try harder and do more when he said this?
Pharisees, at best, were righteous on the outside only, white-washed tombs. Jesus is telling us that the problem of sin is much deeper-it starts in the heart. Get the inside right and the rest will follow accordingly. Gods purpose has always been to restore justice to His creation, never to ignore it. This is why Jesus said that He didn't come to abolish the law. As we humbly bow before God in faith, the New Covenant prophecies of Jer 31 begin to be fulfilled in us; relationship with God is reestablished and He begins to do a work in us-of placing His law in our hearts and writing it on our minds, infusing His righteousness in us. This is grace, won on the cross, man being reconciled with God, apart from Whom we can do nothing (John 15:5), but with Whom all things are possible (Matt 19:26).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All imputed by God - imputed, accounted as, counted as - look it up

Paul said this in Romans 4 -

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.

First of all, Paul said God justifies the ungodly. This does not agree with God's own words.

Exodus 23:7
Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.

then hear in heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness.

Proverbs 17:15
15 He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them alike are an abomination to the Lord.

God said He does not justify the wicked, for it is an abomination to Him. He justifies the righteous. The righteous are the just, pure, and upright.

Paul mentions David from Psalm 32. David did not mention anything of imputing righteousness, but rather, of not imputing sin; this is spoken of those whose sins are covered.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, Paul said God justifies the ungodly. This does not agree with God's own words.

Every word written by Paul is 100% accurate and true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesus First
Upvote 0