St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here besides me like doo-wop singing? It originated in the 40s, in African American neighborhoods, mainly in big northern cities. A lead singer carries the melody, with background singers harmonizing with typically mono-syllabic nonsense words (such as doo wop.) The heyday of doo-wop was the late 50s-early 60s. For my money, the best doo-wop group was the Platters. They were somewhat unique in having a woman member, Zola Taylor, in the background. But their star was lead singer Tony Williams. (To the left, and just above Zola on the album cover below.) The man had an incredibly clear and strong tenor voice. Not many singers can hit and hold those high notes with both smoothness and power. Sadly, he died in his early 60s. He should be better remembered and appreciated.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I still want to gain more appreciation of jazz, I have a CD of Miles Davis, but I remember some episodes of Arthur on PBS have brought up several other black jazz artists and even arguably gave representation to black history, black culture, like Kwanzaa, even bringing something to this white American guy's attention: Africa has 50+ countries in it.

And then there's the whole aspect of how black musicians got shafted historically because they were seen as too ethnic and were literally put in a different category for music even when you had white artists basically copying their stuff, like Elvis, and getting way more attention and recognition.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I still want to gain more appreciation of jazz, I have a CD of Miles Davis, but I remember some episodes of Arthur on PBS have brought up several other black jazz artists and even arguably gave representation to black history, black culture, like Kwanzaa, even bringing something to this white American guy's attention: Africa has 50+ countries in it.

And then there's the whole aspect of how black musicians got shafted historically because they were seen as too ethnic and were literally put in a different category for music even when you had white artists basically copying their stuff, like Elvis, and getting way more attention and recognition.

Another unfortunately overlooked singer is Roy Hamilton. The man had a tremendous voice, and Elvis idolized him. Sadly, he died in his 40s. This is from the early 60s. You can hear how black gospel music influenced rock and roll. Roy's singing is great. You'd have to be made of stone if you don't get into the rhythm.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Another unfortunately overlooked singer is Roy Hamilton. The man had a tremendous voice, and Elvis idolized him. Sadly, he died in his 40s. This is from the early 60s. You can hear how black gospel music influenced rock and roll. Roy's singing is great. You'd have to be made of stone if you don't get into the rhythm.

Yeah, I think the radio aspect would've been able to make it easier to NOT be as racist as the industry was in literally calling black singer's music "race records" until they realized, "Hey that makes us look horrible" and started calling it rhythm and blues. Is someone going to assume the race of an artist just by hearing them?

Upvote 0