Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriages between close family members were not prohibited for God’s people until after Israel left Egypt, around 1450 BC.

This is what Milgrom says. But he must make it make sense with the text, which does not say that:

Lev 20:23 And you shall not walk in the customs of the nation that I am driving out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I detested them.

If these things were not wrong before this then God was unjust in punishing the nations who did these things. However He was not unjust.

Now what Milgrom is likely getting at, and which is true, is that it not spelled out in great detail in a law code as was done in the Law of Moses.

Yet folks still knew that sex with your father's wife was problematic. Otherwise God would not be judging them in this regard. God judges by more than just the written law.

Rom 2:14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.
Rom 2:15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them
Rom 2:16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

Because God placed the prohibitions of Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 in the context of pagan religious practices, many have concluded that the Holiness Code is dealing with pagan religious practices, not homosexuality as we know it today.

a. He says many, because not all agree.

b. He presents an assertion, but you have not actually presented the evidence. I do not have the work in front of me, so if you do please state where he gets that the notion that it is in the context of Pagan RELIGIOUS practice. The text does not put the whole section in that context at all. It says they did all these things. And those things are clearly immoral things. No doubt, some of them were done in religious contexts. But then many were done in non-religious contexts as I alluded to earlier in the case of Egypt, and which the first part of the quote in your post acknowledges as well.

Now you have quoted many scholars, some with differing opinions from others, some which you have misunderstood what they were saying, and yet, you still have to deal with the text, not just what they say the text says.

And that is something that happens in scholarly circles everyday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes a little background understanding is necessary---especially since this text was directed to a specific group of people (for a certain time).

Yes, but Paul refers to it by echoing the phrase in the term he uses in Timothy, specifically saying the law speaks to the issue, and is still useful in his day, to a gentile church.

And Paul references the same moral principle on incest in I Corinthians 5 to a gentile chuch.

Again, moral right and wrong are not time stamped, even if they occur in a text that has something that apply to a specific group. And it was not just the Israelites that these applied to but those who lived in the land before.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that what I'm reading is that most Jews realize this text no longer applies (and this was given to their ancestors)...but gentiles of today want to cling to two passages out of it to use against others (and it wasn't even addressed to us or our ancestors)?

Because they have their own perspective and theological leanings. But it doesn't matter what any Christian scholar, or any rabbi says, if they can't point to it in the text, we don't have to listen to it. So quoting a scholar to lend weight is only helpful if the arguments they raise are demonstrable from the text.

In other words, a scholar's quote that gives a summary of their position is not as helpful as a scholar's quote that spells out the specific reason for their position. Then the basis can be examined.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I was discussing my experience and how I got into the topic of Leviticus, along with my take on Roy Gane's views, I decided to do a quick web search to see if Gane ever said anything on this topic. I figured he probably did since he did a commentary on Leviticus, and also is called on to look into such areas for the Adventist church. As I mentioned earlier he was a student of Milgrom.

He did address it, as it turns out, and actually I agree with him on a great number of points in this article(though not all). He addressed several of the arguments I raised from the text, and some additional ones as well. I do not recommend it just because it agrees with my take, but because of the additional evidences which he provides, which I think you may find convincing.

https://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Prohibitions of Homosexual Practice in Leviticus 18 and 20.pdf

This section in particular is helpful:

The meaning of the biblical laws regarding homoerotic activity is clear, but to what group(s) of people do they apply? The legislation in Leviticus 18 and 20 is primarily addressed to the Israelites, but also applies to the foreigners living among them (18:2, 26; 20:2). According to the narrative framework of Leviticus, the Lord gave these laws before they entered the Promised Land, and He did not restrict their applicability to that land.

In Leviticus 18:3, the Israelites are not to behave like the Egyptians or inhabitants of Canaan, indicating that God does not approve of the ways in which these peoples violate His principles of morality. Divine disapproval of Gentile practices becomes explicit in verses 24, 25 and 27, 28, where the Lord says that He is driving the
inhabitants of Canaan from the land (cf. 20:22, 23) because they have defiled it by doing the abominations prohibited earlier in the chapter, which include homosexual activity (18:22). So God holds accountable both Israelites and also Gentiles, who should understand basic principles of sexual morality from general revelation
(cf. Rom 1:18–32; 1 Cor 5:1).

The fact that Leviticus 18 refers to illicit sexual activities defiling
those who engage in them and also their land (vs. 20, 23–25, 27, 28, 30) does not mean that the prohibitions are ceremonial laws that regulate physical ritual impurity.

A ritual/ceremonial impurity is recognizable by the facts that
(1) it is generated by a physical substance or condition, which explains why
it can be transferred by physical contact in many cases;
(2) incurring it does not constitute a sin—that is, a violation of a divine command (e.g., 12:6-8—no forgiveness needed; cf. chap. 4), unless contracting it is prohibited (e.g., 11:43, 44; Num 6:6,7);
(3) its purpose is to avoid defilement of the holy sphere centered at the sanctuary (Lev 7:20, 21; 15:31; Num 5:1-4); and
(4) it has a ritual remedy, such as ablutions and sacrifice (e.g., Lev 14, 15).

The defilements in Leviticus 18 belong to another category: moral impurity that results from seriously sinful action, cannot contaminate another person by physical contact, defiles both the sinner and the land, and cannot be remedied by ritual means. Such moral defilements are generated by sexual offenses (chap. 18), idolatry (18:21; cf. v. 24), and murder (Num 35:31–34), which violate divine moral principles (cf. Exod 20:3–6, 13, 14) and are forbidden both to Israelites and foreigners dwelling among them (Lev 18:2, 26; Num 35:15).

One of the things that he notes addresses something you indicated earlier. This was intended for a particular people, at a particular time, but even the strangers among them who were not of Israel were to observe this part, just as the nations were driven out for committing these things were to observe them.

Lev 18:26 But you shall keep my statutes and my rules and do none of these abominations, either the native or the stranger who sojourns among you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thing that Gane points out is that none of the laws in Lev. 18 require a temple to be carried out, and in fact this is in line with the stranger among them being required to do them, and the people driven from the land before. It is not dealing just with temple matters.

And for those who really have an interest you can see Gane disagree with Milgrom's take specifically based on the context of the verse in the footnotes.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because they have their own perspective and theological leanings. But it doesn't matter what any Christian scholar, or any rabbi says, if they can't point to it in the text, we don't have to listen to it. So quoting a scholar to lend weight is only helpful if the arguments they raise are demonstrable from the text.
My intent isn't to strive for more "weight". I'm merely gathering information for discussion. Really, what all the different leanings mean to me is that this passage isn't as "clear and simple" as many people claim it to be. There are lots of nuances....lots of difficulty in translation....loads of odd cultural practices that we--as modern people--have difficulty wrapping our minds around.......and a lot of gaps left for us to fill in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Another thing that Gane points out is that none of the laws in Lev. 18 require a temple to be carried out, and in fact this is in line with the stranger among them being required to do them, and the people driven from the land before. It is not dealing just with temple matters.

And for those who really have an interest you can see Gane disagree with Milgrom's take specifically based on the context of the verse in the footnotes.

Ritual impurity also isn't limited to temple matters or the Jews, either (the Egyptians and Canaanites had their own rituals).

But, as Christians, we're under the New Covenant and don't need rituals to atone for our sins......correct?

As to your question you asked earlier about how the issue of rituals/impurity could correlate to the Lord finding the acts of the Egyptians and Canaanites detestable? I'm in the camp that believes that is was their idolatry practices (which included was prohibited in the verses in Lev ) that He found detestable. (I thought I'd posted that already?). Just b/c they weren't His chosen nation doesn't mean their behavior couldn't be detestable to Him. Just b/c they weren't using the Jewish temple doesn't mean He was angered by their devotion to false gods. God loves the whole world and all that.....right? We are all part of His creation.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes a little background understanding is necessary---especially since this text was directed to a specific group of people (for a certain time). Why is it that what I'm reading is that most Jews realize this text no longer applies (and this was given to their ancestors)...but gentiles of today want to cling to two passages out of it to use against others (and it wasn't even addressed to us or our ancestors)?

Most Jews of today? In the US, the majority of Jews that engage in the religion are Reform Jews. But in Israel, there are about 3.9% Reform Jews and 26.5% identifying as Orthodox, with most religious Jews not identifying with a particular stream (got this from Wikipedia.)

Reform Judaism is for Jews who want to live like Gentiles. Orthodox Judaism actually beliefs in keeping the Torah, so homosexual sex is forbidden.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
National Gay Pentecostal Alliance (NGPA)interpretation: The NGPA has produced a word-for-word translation of the original Hebrew. In English, with minimal punctuation added, they rendered it as: "And with a male thou shalt not lie down in beds of a woman; it is an abomination. That is, "... rather than forbidding male homosexuality, it simply restricts where it may occur."

I find the title of their alliance offensive, being raised Pentecostal. But I find that explanation you quoted down right embarrassing. I don't think you are going to get any Hebrew scholar who agrees with that. It's not really about Hebrew. It's about being able to sit down and read a text, even in translation, and have the good sense to see what it's saying. It's obvious the passage has commands about sex. This line of argument is a really, really good example of grasping at straws.

It reminds me of a Little House on the Prairie episode where Laura and Manny babysit his brother's rambunctious boys and tell them to stop jumping on the bed. They come back in the room and the boys are jumping on the bed. One of them said, "I told you to stop jumping on the bed." The boy said, "You didn't tell me to stop jumping on the bed forever." The boy had enough sense to know what stop jumping on the bed means.

This is the same thing. We can all read the passage and realize that a command not to lie with your neighbor's wife means not to have sex with her, especially if we look at other passages that use similar idioms for sex. We know that not lying with your sister or brother means not to have sex with him or her. We should know that telling men not to lie with men, in this context, means for men not to engage in sexual relations. And saying for a man not to lie with an animal or a woman not to approach an animal for it to lie with her should be clear enough in context.

Do those verses don't mean 'don't have sex' and just mean not to lie in the same bed, but it's okay to have sex standing up? Do any of us think God is okay with a man having sex with his neighbor's wife, father's wife, brother's wife, his sister, or mother, another guy, or a sheep just as long as he is standing up and not lying on a bed?

We should know better. Honestly, this line of reasoning is just painfully embarrassing to read. I think you want to believe something, and you just believe what you want to believe.

This may seem a strange prohibition to us today, but was quite consistent with other laws in Leviticus which involve improper mixing of things that should be kept separate. e.g. ancient Hebrews were not allowed to mix two crops in the same field, or make cloth out of two different raw materials, or plow a field with an ox and a donkey yoked together. A woman's bed was her own. Only her husband was permitted there, and then only under certain circumstances. Any other use of her bed would be a defilement.~Their essay on Leviticus 18:22 is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm limited in what I have access to. I also wasn't raised in Hebrew ways and language, so that's why I'm trusting the Rabbis when they write that there are several meanings of "abomination" used in the Bible (even when most of the lexicons I have access to use the same root word for all).

If you really went with a majority view, you'd be against homosexual behavior. From Matthew 23, we know not to call any of these men 'rabbi', since that is a title reserved for Christ. Orthodox Judaism, based on of the Pharisee segment of Judaism, decisions of the Sanhedrin, the line of Judaism that has the title 'rabbi'-- don't allow homosexual behavior.

Reform Jews who don't really care much for actually keeping the Torah use the same titles for their synagogue speakers. That's not historic Judaism, though. It emerged in the 1800's. It's big in the US.

The clue is something you've pointed out first---that there're different consequences for behaviors that seem to fit into the same rule violations (as in Lev 15:24--where the two are just considered unclean for 7 days and Lev 20:18--where the two are exiled from their community).
[/quote]

That actually would be an interesting area of study in Judaism. But there are different situations, like if a woman's flow starts in the middle of the act or the couple had no clue it was time beforehand, versus starting when it was clear it had already started. There may also be other reasons for impurity, like bleeding from pregnancy and things like that that could make a man unclean without requiring exile.

I don't see how you can go from this to allowing homosexual behavior given that the New Testament is also against it, and that speaking perversely is also an abomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For goodness sake, Link! Israel Knohl is *a* rabbi (there's more to becoming a rabbi than just being a professor at a uni) .

I just saw his university position and not his religious qualifications or yeshiva information on his bio. According to Jesus in Matthew 23, he is not a rabbi. Neither is anyone but Christ. That includes the Messianic church leaders.

Jesus and John the Baptizer were both considered rabbis (and I can't think of anywhere where Jesus chastised anyone for calling John the baptizer "Rabbi".

They weren't talking to Jesus in the passage. But John did glorify Christ after they called him that. The qualifications for the title probably got more codified over time after the Pharisees took over the religion after the temple was destroyed. Before, there were several streams of influence in Judaism.

For the topic of Hebrew language and culture (which the book of Leviticus is a large part of)---it makes sense to me to rely on someone that's spent their entire life immersed in that. It's not worth attempts to discredit him.

Which person? I haven't read the book, but based on the discussion of it, it sounds like this guy's P and H theory is very much a minority theory, similar to J-E-P-D. Paul probably spent much of his life immersed in Hebrew, studying the Torah. Gamaliel was considered a great 'rabbi'-- not truly a title due him, since it belongs to Christ. His grandfather was Hillel, one of the most influential figures in Judaism. Gamaliel is mentioned in the Talmud. He was Paul's teacher. Why not follow what Paul wrote on the subject, since Jesus also sent him to teach the nations? and God gave Jesus all authority on heaven and on earth. Did Jesus ever send anyone with authority to teach the nations about the law being made of Holines and Priestly sources? How do those types of theories fit with what Jesus or apostles said about the law and Moses. Their writings indicate that the law came through Moses. I wouldn't say that he couldn't have, under inspiration, drawn from some source material. But the idea of the Torah as some sort of slowly evolving document that was gradually written and gradually attributed to Moses contradicts plenty of things Christ and the apostles taught and the beliefs of thousands of Jewish scholars who were called by the title 'rabbi.'

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13

Israel's Holiness Code.

The chapters that contain these verses are clearly identified as speaking against practices involved in cultic idol worship. The entire passages are generally accepted as not applying to modern Christian life.

These two verses in Leviticus read as follows in the King James Version:

�Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is an abomination.� (Leviticus 18:22)

�If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood be upon them.� (Leviticus 20:13)

Before delving into these two verses, it would be helpful to read How Language is Interpreted, which is part of the discussion of Romans 1.

If we wish to understand the true meaning of these verses, we must look at their context, both textual and historical. Until we understand what prompted these rules in Old Testament times, we will not be able to determine if the rules should be applied to the case of two people in committed, loving relationship.

The text itself gives us a big clue as to the intended meaning. Three different times we are specifically told that the rules set forth in chapters 18 and 20 are meant to prevent the Israelites from doing what the Egyptians and Canaanites did. The term Canaanites refers to the group of nations who lived in the land into which the Israelites migrated when they left Egypt. It follows, therefore, if we can determine what type of homosexual behavior was common among the Canaanites and Egyptians, we will better understand what these verses were meant to prohibit.

Biblical historians tell us the Canaanite religions surrounding the Israelites at the time of Leviticus often included fertility rites consisting of sexual rituals. These rituals were thought to bring the blessing of the god or goddess on crop and livestock production. During the rituals, whole families, including husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, cousins, aunts and uncles would sometimes have sex. Also included was sex with temple prostitutes. In short, every kind of sexual practice imaginable was performed at these rituals, including homosexual sex.

Consider one specific example. Historians tell us that many Canaanites and Egyptians worshipped a goddess of love and fertility called Astarte or Ishtar. Within her temples were special priests called assinu, who were deemed to have special powers. Physical contact with the assinu was believed to ward off evil and promote good luck. These priests were, in effect, living good luck charms, and worshipers would often ritually touch them as part of their worship practices. Sexual intercourse was considered especially effective for gaining the goddess�s favor, because the male worshiper was offering his greatest possession, sperm (which was thought to be the essence of life), to the goddess through her priests. Depositing sperm in the body of a priest of the goddess was believed to guarantee one�s immortality. Similar cultic sexual practices flourished in connection with many other ancient pagan deities.

This is what was going on in Canaan and Egypt at the time the Levitical rules were announced. ~http://mccphiladelphia.com/leviticus.htm

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13

Israel's Holiness Code.

The chapters that contain these verses are clearly identified as speaking against practices involved in cultic idol worship. The entire passages are generally accepted as not applying to modern Christian life.

These two verses in Leviticus read as follows in the King James Version:

�Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is an abomination.� (Leviticus 18:22)

�If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood be upon them.� (Leviticus 20:13)

Before delving into these two verses, it would be helpful to read How Language is Interpreted, which is part of the discussion of Romans 1.

If we wish to understand the true meaning of these verses, we must look at their context, both textual and historical. Until we understand what prompted these rules in Old Testament times, we will not be able to determine if the rules should be applied to the case of two people in committed, loving relationship.

The last statement shows a serious problem with this sort of thinking. In Judaism no matter what the background, you keep the command. The command is a command.

There is also something really flawed with the thinking of people who take some bits of conjecture and history, like the rest of your message after the quote, and think they can really exactly piece what life was like for ancient Israelites. We get little bits and pieces from history and archeology about their lives. There are a thousand opinions about how to interpret this information. And then more information comes to light, which often confirms that the Biblical text is accurate. Some people didn't believe Bethsaida existed, but it has been discovered. Before that, there were those who claimed that the Hittites did not exist. But the Hati people are considered by many to have been the Hittites.

Some little bit of information about homosexual practices in religion in Egypt or among the Canaanites is not evidence at all as to whether Canaanites were having non-religious homosexual sex. None of this information takes away from the fact that the Israelites were given this command. The command stands whether or not the sex was done to worship an idol or as a part of a ritual. This type of sex just is detestable. That's what the text states. It doesn't say it's only forbidden when it is an abomination, but that such type of activity is an abomination. To say otherwise is sophistry, and academics with PhD's can engage in sophistry. Sometimes they are the best at it.

In the opinion of other PhD's, probably most PhD's who work in academia are idiots. When one PhD gets his paper rejected by the PhD (or grad student) editors at a journal or conference, there is a chance that he will call those other PhD's idiots. Personallly, I think it's wrong to call other people idiots, but I can tell you it happens. There is a pretty good chance that any of these PhD's in academia have been called 'idiots' by other experts in their field whose papers they have rejected through a blind review process.

The text itself gives us a big clue as to the intended meaning. Three different times we are specifically told that the rules set forth in chapters 18 and 20 are meant to prevent the Israelites from doing what the Egyptians and Canaanites did.

Canaanites had gay sex. Don't have gay sex. Canaanites slept with animals. Don't have sex with animals.

If you don't think the Bible forbids these things in the Old or New Testament, do you think it would be wrong for your husband to engage in some homosexual activity on the side? Biblically, what would your case be against that, beyond any particular promises or assurances he gave you? Why shouldn't a Christian husband or wife go have sex with a pet or farm animal as a supplement to their marital sex life? Do you think the Bible forbids this? I do. But I don't see how your line of reasoning leads to this conclusion. You wouldn't categorize homosexual sex or sex with animals as 'fornication' would you?

The term Canaanites refers to the group of nations who lived in the land into which the Israelites migrated when they left Egypt. It follows, therefore, if we can determine what type of homosexual behavior was common among the Canaanites and Egyptians, we will better understand what these verses were meant to prohibit.

Egyptian practices may have been quite different from Canaanite practices.

Biblical historians tell us the Canaanite religions surrounding the Israelites at the time of Leviticus often included fertility rites consisting of sexual rituals. These rituals were thought to bring the blessing of the god or goddess on crop and livestock production. During the rituals, whole families, including husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, cousins, aunts and uncles would sometimes have sex. Also included was sex with temple prostitutes. In short, every kind of sexual practice imaginable was performed at these rituals, including homosexual sex.

I wouldn't disagree. But the command forbids these types of sex, and doesn't specify that they have to be done in an idolatrous context to be forbidden. Sex between men is an abomination. That's a free standing thing. It doesn't have to be done during an idol-worship ceremony to be true.

Greek and Roman culture was very sexualized. There were temple prostitutes and other pagan-related sex practices. But I think there is plenty of evidence for non-temple prostitution and for sinful sexual practices that went on outside of pagan practices as well. Their homosexual sex wasn't all about religion either. We shouldn't expect that Canaanites would have been less perverted. They were bad enough for God to drive them out. They may have been worse than the Romans.

This is just another example of misapplying the cultural-historical method.

I just see this a lot. Basically it goes like this, "When X commandment/teaching was given, the cultural situation was Y. Because the situation is not Y anymore, commandment/teaching X no longer applies."

One of the LGBT uses of this approach goes like this,

"Homosexual behavior back then occured in idolatry (or rape, or prostitution, or an oppressive relationship.) But in our culture, this is not the case, so the teaching or command against it does not apply."

Of course, that isn't true, either, since one passage in the New Testament condemns the acts when motivated by men's desire for one another. The commandment says what it says independent of cultural context.

I can use the same logic on a number of other issues,

"Back in the time of Moses up through the time of Christ, men would try to get out of paying a culturally required dowry by divorcing their wives or by divorcing them and remarrying them after they had remarried. That is not the case today. I want to divorce my wife because she is ugly after a botched plastic surgery. That was not the cultural situation the Bible addreses. I am going to give my wife a huge settlement, so the teachings and commandments of scripture do not apply in my case."

Of course, that is false, because Jesus' teachings on putting away one's wife aren't contingent on the situation with the dowry. Btw, my argument is based loosely on some arguments I've heard using the cultural-historical approach.

And here is a nice extreme example,

"When thou shalt not kill was commanded, people killed each other in a messy, violent, painful manner with stones, swords, and knives. They did not sneak up to people at the mall and spray them with a can of painless and humane death gas, so using death gas is okay. And 'thou shalt not steal' only applies if the people are alive."

Of course, murder is murder. And robbing a dead body is stealing from the heirs. People say all kinds of things to justify themselves. I haven't heard that particular line about murder, fortunately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My intent isn't to strive for more "weight". I'm merely gathering information for discussion. Really, what all the different leanings mean to me is that this passage isn't as "clear and simple" as many people claim it to be. There are lots of nuances....lots of difficulty in translation....loads of odd cultural practices that we--as modern people--have difficulty wrapping our minds around.......and a lot of gaps left for us to fill in.

Actually, not really. For instance, they all agree that it is talking about actual sex except for the group that you quoted who's whole purpose for existence is to be like the other church they were in, but be accepting of homosexuality.

The issue over the meaning of abomination was not really a dispute at all, but a distraction. He indicated the root meaning. He listed the usage which included moral elements. But then he tried to say in Leviticus it meant something different. Even though he admitted its only uses were in chapters 18 and 20, the chapters that listed a number of very moral issues,and said the previous inhabitants were judged on them.

In other words, he obfuscated. He wrote a long article, looked at usage, described meanings, mentioned context, but didn't really address the central issue.

And some of it was disagreement, but only on minor matters, such as the role of the various sources in the final redaction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really, what all the different leanings mean to me is that this passage isn't as "clear and simple" as many people claim it to be.

The historical view was only doubted recently. While various issues in Leviticus are complicated, I don't think this command is complicated.

There were not that many competing views until the recent trend towards acceptance of homosexuality resulted in a spate of articles of folks debating it either way. And of course, those who work as scholars are often expected to publish, and most times that does not mean publish what everyone already said. They have to come up with something novel.

So when 5 different scholars get to the notion that homosexuality is fine, but get there 5 different ways, you might start asking whether the facts are most important or the destination.

I say this sincerely. Those folks who put out the suggestion that it was just talking about homosexuality being fine, but if they did it on a woman's bed then it was a death penalty due to ritual concerns, had to know that they were completely twisting everything about the passage. And a normal person would not be able to even publish that without feeling ashamed because they would know they were intentionally twisting. But they had to have some way to get to the goal.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ritual impurity also isn't limited to temple matters or the Jews, either (the Egyptians and Canaanites had their own rituals).

Yes, but God didn't punish the nations for not following the rules of pagan dieties.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, as Christians, we're under the New Covenant and don't need rituals to atone for our sins......correct?

No, we do not. But you are not free from moral constraints, and the passage was about moral constraints imposed on the Jewish people, on the strangers among the Jewish people, on the Egyptians, and on the previous inhabitants, and still referenced as imposed on gentiles in Corinth in the Christian era.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to your question you asked earlier about how the issue of rituals/impurity could correlate to the Lord finding the acts of the Egyptians and Canaanites detestable? I'm in the camp that believes that is was their idolatry practices (which included was prohibited in the verses in Lev ) that He found detestable. (I thought I'd posted that already?). Just b/c they weren't His chosen nation doesn't mean their behavior couldn't be detestable to Him. Just b/c they weren't using the Jewish temple doesn't mean He was angered by their devotion to false gods. God loves the whole world and all that.....right? We are all part of His creation.

A. Would God condemn sex with animals and adultery OUTSIDE of idolatry, just on its own?

B. Can you prove that the only instances of these acts were in the context of idolatry?

C. Can you prove that God was not upset with them for doing these things apart from idolatry as well?

The laws simply do not say what you have presented them to say. They do not say it was just in the context of pagan worship. They say the action is prohibited. It is prohibited to those in Israel, those in Egypt, and Paul says those in Ephesus when writing to Timothy, and to the people of Corinth as well.

Now you have been speaking about context but you have failed to address that Lev. 18 and 20 do not put all these in the context of idolatry.

The only one said to be in connection with idolatry is the offering of children to Molech.

The rest are condemned without commentary, without regard to the context they occur. So why are you making up a context that is not in the text?

Last edited:
Upvote 0