Focused discussion, Lev. 18:22

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all....I'm not "slow to believe what God spoke through Moses". I'm just not quick to leap to conclusions about what that meant. It's not even addressed to us ("The LORD said to Moses, Speak to the entire assembly of Israel....").

And.....the explanation for why I'm giving any consideration to what Waskow, Rabbi Jeremy Milgrom, Rabbi Gershon Caudill, and Jacob Milgrom have written is that I don't believe any one person holds the answers to *all* truth ( I don't rely on people for wisdom).....but that doesn't mean there's *no* truth to be gleaned from others. I still hold it all up to what I know and believe about God and His nature.

No matter what these men say about the cultural background, the commandment in the text still stands. With the huge social movement toward accepting homosexual perversion, it isn't surprising that certain scholars in the Jewish community would support it, contrary to historic positions of Judaism and the actual text of the Torah.

Where did God tell Israel that they did not have to obey Torah if their culture was different from the culture at the time of the giving of the Torah?

I cannot believe that Abraham & Sarah would be guilty of an "abomination" (continually--all through their marriage) yet God would let it slide for them--even encouraged them by promising them many children-- (yet He'd "vomit out" a nation and call for the death penalty for the same behavior by others).

Incest is a difficult theological issue, especially for those who believe that Adam and Eve were the only humans created. There was a blessing, 'be fruitful and multiply.' God ordained marriage. Either He allowed incest for a while, or he created other people.

If you accept left-leaning Jewish scholars who can spin arguments for homosexuality, why not consider a historic Jewish interpretation, that Sarah was a descendant of his father but not his mother, but not a direct biological daughter. The Bible does not say that Sarah was his sister, but that Abraham told a king, whom he'd deceived earlier, that Sarah was his biological sister. Isaac told a king that Rebecca was his sister, and she was only a cousin.

Genesis 17:1-8, 15-16
“When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, ‘I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. And I will make My covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.’ Then Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying: ‘As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations.

In this passage, God tells Abraham to be blameless. Romans says sin is not imputed when there is no law. Btw, would you argue in favor of polygamy then? Abraham had three wives, two counting Sarah when she was alive. Do you think incest is allowed?

Do you think Christians should have sex with animals? Is it a sin? If so, why? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The message is what He said. This seems to be a common pattern with you. You ignore what the text actually says, have some other idea in your mind that doesn't agree with what the text says

I don't "ignore what the text actually says"......I believe things are far richer---make more sense when they're placed in the context. The verse in Matthew 23 is an excellent example. If we merely go by the words alone--we can still be guilty of the offense.

It's not that I have "some other idea in my mind that doesn't agree with the text". It's that without the full context---the text doesn't make sense. Why is there an issue of wearing mixed fabrics.....am I not supposed to eat pork.....why are Abraham & Sarah excused from this "horrible abomination"? All of that is answered sufficiently (IMO) by the context.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We shouldn't just say, "Oh, He said that, but that's not what he really meant. What He really meant was X, so we can do what He said not to. Because He didn't mean that. He meant this other thing that He didn't say." But you seem to do that with other texts of scripture in this conversation.
So....I sure hope you're not wearing mixed fabric clothing.....or are trimming your sideburns and beard....or eating shellfish....or planting seed mixes like wildflowers.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So....I sure hope you're not wearing mixed fabric clothing.....or are trimming your sideburns and beard....or eating shellfish....or planting seed mixes like wildflowers.

I think we both agree that there were things that were given to Israel that weren't given to other nations. Let's look at this from the context of what Israel was commanded to do. I read the text that tells the Israelites not to lie with a man as one does with a woman. I say it means that. From what you've been saying, that commandments doesn't apply except in some culturally-specific situation that relates to Canaanite or Egyptian idolatry, if I understand you right. Can we both agree that any time an Israelite man had sex with another man or with an animal, he was violating the commandment?

I don't "ignore what the text actually says"......I believe things are far richer---make more sense when they're placed in the context.

I am all for context. But you are making up 'context' or borrowing from writers who make up 'context.' And your context isn't really context. It is excuses. You have a hermeneutic that allows you to dismiss passages you don't like if the cultural situation is not what you suppose is the cultural situation in the text. You have no basis for dismissing these commands as not being valid outside of the cultural situation of idol-worshipping pagans. I think if you were talking to a devout Orthodox Jew and told him it was only wrong to have sex with the same gender or with an animal if it is done as an act of idolatry, and that it's okay if it's done in a loving committed relationship, that he would disagree, because he believes that the commandment still stands on its own.

By 'context', btw, I'm talking about the context of what is written in the passage, not every theorized idea about the culture back then that you can come up with.

Basically, your 'context' is made up. You are assuming the command only applies in a specific case when the 'context' of the text itself doesn't justify your conclusions.

The verse in Matthew 23 is an excellent example. If we merely go by the words alone--we can still be guilty of the offense.

But you would have us believe that we can violate the actual words and not be guilty of the offense. And the consistent problem with your thinking throughout the thread. What if we apply this to other areas. What if someone said, "I only slept with her physically, but I did not commit adultery with my heart."

Why is there an issue of wearing mixed fabrics.....am I not supposed to eat pork.....why are Abraham & Sarah excused from this "horrible abomination"? All of that is answered sufficiently (IMO) by the context.

I don't understand your point about what your assertion has to do with 'context'.

I wasn't aware that brother-sister incest is called an 'abomination' in scripture. It's less repulsive than homosexuality, especially if the two don't know they are related. At least they got the gender thing right. The Bible doesn't say that Abraham and Sarah were brother and sister, but it tells us that Abraham said that they are brother and sister-- to a king he had been misleading. And we see later that Isaac called his wife, who was his cousin, his sister, in the same book, a very similar story.

Why are you so quick to believe left-leaning Jewish scholars who go against the weight of Jewish traditional interpretation to build a weak case on Leviticus 18, but reject Jewish tradition on the relationship between Abraham and Sarah.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't say that Abraham and Sarah were brother and sister, but it tells us that Abraham said that they are brother and sister-- to a king he had been misleading

Genesis 20:12 is after Abraham had "come clean" to the King and admitted Sarah was his wife:

And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

What happened to your standard of taking text to mean just as it says?

**Ebn Batrik, in his annals, among other ancient traditions, has preserved the following: 'Terah first married Yona, by whom he had Abraham; afterwards he married Tehevita, by whom he had Sarah.' ~citation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mkgal1,

Since 'daughter' can mean descendant, that other Jewish tradition of Sarah being a niece still follows what the text of scripture says (what scripture says Abraham said.)

Didn't I quote the source for that other Jewish tradition.

We should be able to agree that God commanded Israelites in Leviticus not to sex with their sisters, for the men not to have sex with men, or to have sex with animals. That much is clear. Not accepting that is completely ridiculous.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We should be able to agree that God commanded Israelites in Leviticus not to sex with their sisters, for the men not to have sex with men, or to have sex with animals. That much is clear. Not accepting that is completely ridiculous.

Yes.....I agree that Leviticus was directed to the assembly of Israelites--Leviticus 19:2 tells us that.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're right--the text doesn't. However, the people whose ancestors this was written to (the Israelites) have written that's what this was pertaining to. Considering that a major part of being Jewish is memorizing the first five books of the Bible and understanding the meaning (and that's handed down from generation to generation)---I'd tend to side with their interpretations.

Lev 20:9 For anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother; his blood is upon him.

I just got back in from out of town, and it is late, so I will address most of the posts later. However, this one I would like to address now.

If you acknowledge the text does not say what they say, then why would you accept their modifying of the text?

The Hebrew doesn't have anything about God's name, and neither does the early Greek translation.

It is not enough to say "x rabbi held this view", you need to say why it makes sense from the text. And you already admitted it is not in the text, so I cannot see why you would think it would make sense to change the meaning of the text.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
mkgal1, so you agree that God told the Israelites that lying with a man as one does with a woman was forbidden?

I agree that God told Moses to address the assembly of Israelites (a particular group) that the men weren't to lie with another man as he would with a woman. Yes. Beyond that---that's where we disagree (and where Scripture is open to interpretation). One thing I know for sure: we aren't a part of that assembly of Israelites going into Canaan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that God told Moses to address the assembly of Israelites (a particular group) that the men weren't to lie with another man as he would with a woman. Yes. Beyond that---that's where we disagree (and where Scripture is open to interpretation). One thing I know for sure: we aren't a part of that assembly of Israelites going into Canaan.

This is a step forward then. Because it sounds like now you do not think that an Israelite had to be worshipping Molech, for example, or engaging in an idolatrous activity for engaging in these forbidden sexual practices for them to be forbidden. We may have reached an agreement on some aspect of this discussion. Do I understand you correctly now?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do I understand you correctly now?
No, I don't believe you do understand me correctly....but I doubt that any further attempts are going to clarify anything.

To understand this instruction (in Leviticus) one would have to understand just how insidious and prevalent false gods were. It was a part of just about every aspect of their life. Almost everything took on a spiritual meaning. To read the Bible from the perspective of what is forbidden (and to not have the main focus on what God does desire *for* us---in our favor/His favor---does the message injustice (IMO)--that's just what our enemy does).

The main message of Leviticus that's applicable to us---in my view--*should* be, "I am the Lord your God" (and that's what He was wishing for the assembly of Israelites and for us today).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it's not a departure. I've always maintained that the theme can be found in the words, "I am the Lord your God". The awe and reverence of God is what can keep the Israelites (and us) from seeking other gods. Using His name flippantly (or at all---this was considered a name too great and not to be uttered) isn't honoring God.

The text does not mention using His name at all. It mentions cursing parents.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And isn't this about 500 years later? Cultures (and attitudes) change over the years.
But Paul is still holding to the concept of sexual immorality being wrong, despite your saying it was only for the Israelites.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually. ..I do tend to believe Jewish interpretations of the text:

Arthur Waskow, a writer and rabbi

Rabbi Jeremy Milgrom, Israeli human rights organization founder, author

Rabbi Gershon Caudill, another Jewish writer and rabbi

Jacob Milgrom, Jewish Bible scholar, conservative rabbi--known for his research on Biblical purity laws and considered the world's leading expert on Leviticus.[3]

I believe Tall mentioned Milgrom has since passed.

Believing a specific point someone says simply based on their reputation as a scholar is missing the point. It is only the evidence they point out that matters, not their reputation.

Gane, a student of Milgrom, and also a recognized expert on Leviticus spelled out specific reasons for his disagreement on the facts.

It is the evidence itself and the text that make the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An ever better summary of the purpose of the Holiness Code:

First off it uses examples outside of the "holiness code" to characterize what is meant by abomination, and to characterize elements of the holiness code. This doesn't make sense to use the supposed earlier priestly source to define the supposed later holiness code source. Morover, those other sections don't actually call the other things abominations. So that whole section is misleading.

And then this quote from a scholar shows the real problem:

The text itself, insofar as it species a reason, treats the matter as a violation of ancient Israel's purity code—a code that New Testament writers treat as no longer binding on gentile (and perhaps even Jewish) Christians (cf. Acts 15; Rom. 14-15).

First off it does not only refer to the holiness code, the previous nations were judged for it, which rules out that it was just concerning Israel.

But second, it references Acts 15 and the decision regarding the gentiles. But perhaps he has not read it because the council decided not to bind the gentiles with the whole law of Israel, but DID specifically indicate that they were to refrain from sexual immorality. And Paul references incest as sexual immorality in I Cor. 5. The only place where the various types of sexual immorality are spelled out is Lev. 18 and 20 and it references not only Israel but the nations before, who were gentiles.

Milgrom is certainly reaching when he says it is only about Israel, or at the least the holy land. Why would God judge people only in the Holy land for such activities? But moreover, he ignores the reference to Egypt, which is not in the holy land, destroying his argument.

Gane already addressed the weak argument by Milgrom that it only refers to incest between males, as not supported by the grammar, and not making sense of the arrangement of the passage, as spelled out in the article I Posted.

Again, scholars who are not actually looking at the facts of the text can be just as wrong as anyone else not looking at the text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.....I agree that Leviticus was directed to the assembly of Israelites--Leviticus 19:2 tells us that.

All of the law was directed to the assembly of Israel. However, what you have been avoiding is the clear statements in chapters 18 and 20 that these abominations also were committed by gentile nations who were punished for them. So these are not just for Israel.

And Acts 15 references gentiles refraining from sexual immorality even in the NT, which is spelled out in this section.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It also referenced Egypt, the previous inhabitants, etc. and sexual immorality was prohibited for gentlies at the same council that did not require them to keep all of the law of Moses. So the shellfish, trimming beard argument is not going to hold up.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
N"I am the Lord your God" (and that's what He was wishing for the assembly of Israelites and for us today).

And the Lord their God said He would judge them for those actions AND the condemned those same actions when committed by Egypt and the prior inhabitants.

There is nothing about being totally committed to God that would allow you to then disregard the statements by God to avoid those behaviors.

Upvote 0