✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WalksWithChrist said:
Very true. But when I went to FSU I met dozens of people who were suffering from "Down South" shock moving to podunt little Tallahassee from Tampa, Orlando or Miami. I felt bad for them! The opposite effect is when people from like Quincy or Live Oak come to Tally, they think they've hit the big-time. Now *that's* funny!! = )
Florida is NOT the south though. *Maybe* little bits of North Florida, but we TRUE Southerners (folks from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, etc) generally agree that Florida is NOT the South. :D :p

As a matter of fact, all of my Southern friends here in Florida have a saying "You have to drive north to get south." :D

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
Florida is NOT the south though. *Maybe* little bits of North Florida, but we TRUE Southerners (folks from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, etc) generally agree that Florida is NOT the South. :D :p

As a matter of fact, all of my Southern friends here in Florida have a saying "You have to drive north to get south." :D
No, no. I was just talking about South *Florida* here. I know that FL isn't really "southern" but they actually call the area around Tally "Florida with a Southern accent." FL is an enigma when you talk about North and South! Oh, and a lot of people from south FL say "Dirty South" but I've never really spend much time down there to say exactly why. ; ) I'm actually a *true* Southerner myself. Grew up in TN and MS. Yee haa!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WalksWithChrist said:
No, no. I was just talking about South *Florida* here. I know that FL isn't really "southern" but they actually call the area around Tally "Florida with a Southern accent." FL is an enigma when you talk about North and South! Oh, and a lot of people from south FL say "Dirty South" but I've never really spend much time down there to say exactly why. ; ) I'm actually a *true* Southerner myself. Grew up in TN and MS. Yee haa!
Gotcha! You're right about Florida, it is an enigma for sure!

Upvote 0

SHEApherd

Dec 10, 2004
Gainesville, FL
✟7,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
john14v6 said:
Born and raised a floridian. I'm in Gainesville now for college

t6g said:
Hey guys :) New here. I'm from Clearwater, but go to college in Gainesville. Go gators!

I'm in Gainesville too for college. Go Gators! Are either of you in FCA or Campus Crusade or anything?????

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
SandyLou said:
How many of ya'll are native Floridians? (at least one of your parents was also born in Florida) :cool:
If you transplanted, where are your families roots from?
In a nutshell, dad born in Miami raised in Memphis, TN. Mom born near Memphis and raised there.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
SandyLou said:
where were YOU born & raised then?
Oh, right! Let's break it down: Born in Honolulu, HI (dad was military!) and lived in San Diego, Memphis (several years until 8), Mississippi for about a year, dad went back to military and then we were off to NC, then GTMO Bay Cuba, back to NC, dad out of military then to Austin, TX for about 7 years, then Tallahassee for about seven years. I moved myself to NC AGAIN about four years ago. I will be in FL this week for a wedding actually! Hope the weather is good. Can't wait to get some Sonny's bbq! Sorry to my Woody's peeps...Tally just doesn't have Woody's anymore. : (

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alldogsDONOTgotoheaven

Apr 6, 2005
✟15,539.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
SandyLou said:
How many of ya'll are native Floridians? (at least one of your parents was also born in Florida) :cool:
If you transplanted, where are your families roots from?
Wait...I always thought a native just had to be born in the state and not need a parent who was born here. Never heard that before. My parents moved here when they were young children so they're practically natives...and I've lived here all my life so I consider myself a native.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
alldogsDONOTgotoheaven said:
Wait...I always thought a native just had to be born in the state and not need a parent who was born here. Never heard that before. My parents moved here when they were young children so they're practically natives...and I've lived here all my life so I consider myself a native.
You are...

Upvote 0

SandyLou

The Order of the Candle
Mar 1, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Visit site
✟2,869.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
alldogsDONOTgotoheaven said:

*giggle* well, if your cat have kittens in the oven,
that doesn't make them biscuits
. . .or does it???? hmmmmm. . . .
:scratch:
not about labeling anyone,
it was just a question about where people were from
and how many multi-generational natives are here
not implying at ALL that anyone is or is not a native of any place they want to be​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
SandyLou said:
*giggle* well, if your cat have kittens in the oven,
that doesn't make them biscuits
. . .or does it???? hmmmmm. . . .
~sandylou, 6 generation native, scratches chin in thought~
not about labeling anyone,
it was just a question about where people were from​
LOL It's hard to find someone these days who's live in the same place all their life. I wish I did have one place to call home! I've been in NC for almost four years and plan to make this my home. = ) I don't want my kids growing up like a transient like I did.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whoops! I'm a Floridian...sorry I haven't posted on here sooner. My Dad is a native Floridian, but my Mom is from Jamestown, New York. Soooo...yeah. A mixture of both Yank and Rebel. :D

Is it ok if I say I hate Disney? Lol. 'Cause I do. Is that allowed on this thread? Haha. My Dad works for Disney, therefore we get free tickets and can go anytime we want. I've been to Disney so many times, it really isn't funny. I can't stand it now. :sick: Disney to me is very much over-rated. Besides...Disney is a supporter of many things my family doesn't support. Sooo...that certainly doesn't help either.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Miss Spaulding said:
Whoops! I'm a Floridian...sorry I haven't posted on here sooner. My Dad is a native Floridian, but my Mom is from Jamestown, New York. Soooo...yeah. A mixture of both Yank and Rebel. :D

Is it ok if I say I hate Disney? Lol. 'Cause I do. Is that allowed on this thread? Haha. My Dad works for Disney, therefore we get free tickets and can go anytime we want. I've been to Disney so many times, it really isn't funny. I can't stand it now. :sick: Disney to me is very much over-rated. Besides...Disney is a supporter of many things my family doesn't support. Sooo...that certainly doesn't help either.
My great-great uncle worked for Disney in Orlando for a long time. I've got it in my blood too! I've been there twice, but wouldn't go on my own volition. I got a beef with Disney too.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a third generation native from my father's side. However my grandmother was a Tillis and they were among the first english settlers in the state of Florida. However my mother was a third generation Georgian. Now what does that really make me?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.