Florida church sends $1,000 collection notice to single mother because she didn’t tithe

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: katherine2001

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's just a private thing between her and the church. Worst they could do (unless she somehow contracted into a legally binding agreement, which doesn't seem likely) is bar her from church grounds.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, because I wouldn't step foot into such a church, anyway.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/flo...ice-to-single-mother-because-she-didnt-tithe/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/f...ives-her-90-days-to-overcome-hardship-141514/

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/h...rch-members-complain-about-collection-notices

I'd wonder what other than being "Removed From the Church Roll" would happen?
If you're not a "Member in good standing" are you still able to go to service?
Will they send this to Collections?
C'mon PGP, collections is not an aspect of this matter in any way.

While I'm somewhat offended by the tone of the letter church membership remains a private matter. She is not only free to attend other churches, she indicates that she hasn't even been inside the church recently.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/flo...ice-to-single-mother-because-she-didnt-tithe/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/f...ives-her-90-days-to-overcome-hardship-141514/

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/h...rch-members-complain-about-collection-notices

I'd wonder what other than being "Removed From the Church Roll" would happen?
If you're not a "Member in good standing" are you still able to go to service?
Will they send this to Collections?

I didn't know church's were allowed to have mandatory fees.

Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
C'mon PGP, collections is not an aspect of this matter in any way.

While I'm somewhat offended by the tone of the letter church membership remains a private matter. She is not only free to attend other churches, she indicates that she hasn't even been inside the church recently.
Not an aspect, what do you call a "Collection Notice"

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Not an aspect, what do you call a "Collection Notice"
Curiously, I don't see either the word "collection" or "notice" in the letter the church sent. Can you please point out where in the letter those are. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's just a private thing between her and the church. Worst they could do (unless she somehow contracted into a legally binding agreement, which doesn't seem likely) is bar her from church grounds.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, because I wouldn't step foot into such a church, anyway.

Amen to that!

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To the story- I wouldn't go to a church like that either.

But it’s such a small price to pay to keep your soul from eternal damnation. WWJD?
Well- at least churches don't charge membership dues and admission fees and tickets are not a thing to attend holy day services.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To the story- I wouldn't go to a church like that either.

Well- at least churches don't charge membership dues and admission fees and tickets are not a thing to attend holy day services.

Uh, that is exactly what this is about, membership fees.

I'd say the thread title misses on several points. It does not sound like a collection notice and it also does not sound like a tithe as it seems to be several fixed fees.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
...every synagogue I've ever heard of, on the other hand, operates by a membership dues system- and they do charge admission fees and sell tickets for high holy days....

Really? I did not know that. Thanks!

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curiously, I don't see either the word "collection" or "notice" in the letter the church sent. Can you please point out where in the letter those are. Thanks in advance.
The Title of the reports.
For many years on this site, it was common to use the Linked Article title without editing it for the thread title.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Title of the reports.
For many years on this site, it was common to use the Linked Article title without editing it for the thread title.
Fair enough, the author used hyperbole to attract attention to his article.

Noting though that the letter from the church made no mention of past due amounts.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough, the author used hyperbole to attract attention to his article.

Noting though that the letter from the church made no mention of past due amounts.

Depending on the point being made that either makes no difference at all or all the difference in the world.

If the point was that the title is very disingenuous and someone is a jerk, then almost no difference at all.

If the point was that the poster here was the jerk then it makes all the difference in the world.

Upvote 0