Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I learned Florida's House passed a measure that would ban children under 16 from joining social media platforms. There is research illustrating how social media is "an important driver" of our "national youth mental health crisis".

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree social media is fueling many problems in our society. And I do support efforts to protect our children. But this situation seems better suited for federal application on a national level. Maybe Florida will inspire our federal government to take up the issue. Either way any bill seems destined for litigation in court.

Presently I am leaning toward supporting these protective bills being created. We need to do all we can to protect our kids, especially if America isn't willing to implement any gun violence mitigation legislation. I feel like we can have a civil discussion on this topic. I am not confident we will, but that rarely stops me from trying. Anyone have thoughts on banning kids under 16 from social media? It seems like a fresh, relevant issue we could wear out like we do with the popular wedge issues :).

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Presently I am leaning toward supporting these protective bills being created. We need to do all we can to protect our kids, especially if America isn't willing to implement any gun violence mitigation legislation.
My question is just how much protection for kids and their families would actually come from this.

The bill would require social media platforms to prohibit minors from creating new accounts, terminate existing accounts of those younger than 16 and use age verification for account holders, without a parental permission exemption.

Just how would they go about age verification? This wouldn't mean just verifying a kid's age but the age of every single user on social media such as Facebook. I can't see how privacy issues wouldn't arise.

Still, Facebook's parent company Meta is opposed to the legislation. In a letter to the House's Judiciary Committee, the company argued it undercut parents' ability to make their own decisions about their kid's social media use and raises data privacy concerns.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree it requires national legislation, since this affects the entire country.

I think it's a bit extreme, though. I would rather see Congress put more pressure on social media companies to curate their content so that children aren't exposed to harmful content. And perhaps creating a panel to investigate the issue, and propose policy recommendations.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My question is just how much protection for kids and their families would actually come from this.

The bill would require social media platforms to prohibit minors from creating new accounts, terminate existing accounts of those younger than 16 and use age verification for account holders, without a parental permission exemption.

Just how would they go about age verification? This wouldn't mean just verifying a kid's age but the age of every single user on social media such as Facebook. I can't see how privacy issues wouldn't arise.

Still, Facebook's parent company Meta is opposed to the legislation. In a letter to the House's Judiciary Committee, the company argued it undercut parents' ability to make their own decisions about their kid's social media use and raises data privacy concerns.

Yes, the bill does raise many legal issues and privacy concerns. And it will take a lot of patience and work for such legislation to become actual law. I think occasionally politicians realize this fact and create measures to grandstand for votes. Knowing the legislation probably won't survive court appeals. I don't know if this particular bill will survive, but it might inspire congress into action. Maybe they can reform section 230 of the Communication Decency Act to delegate some liability for social media or parents or anything productive to protect children.

For too long nothing has been accomplished by being pessimistic. Politicians use excuses like surviving court appeals to avoid attempting any work to protect Americans. Nothing can be accomplished when nothing will ever be tried. Failure is only the outcome when people stop trying. Which seems to be where our federal government is mired presently. They don't bother trying because voters don't demand they even try improving our lives, much less demand results for constituents.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The issue I have is that banning under a certain age will not stop them from gaining access. Children are tech and internet savvy and those who are determined will find a way around the “ban”. This will only make it harder for parents to know what their kids are up to with apps and websites.

Seems like it would be better to push social media to monitor content and better tools for parents to monitor their kids online access.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree it requires national legislation, since this affects the entire country.

I think it's a bit extreme, though. I would rather see Congress put more pressure on social media companies to curate their content so that children aren't exposed to harmful content. And perhaps creating a panel to investigate the issue, and propose policy recommendations.

Of course it is extreme. Extreme problems require extreme mitigation measures. Social media is arguably destroying civil society as we knew it. People are forgetting how to communicate with each other directly, in person. I don't think parents should be handing out cellphones to kids in the first place. Parents were unqualified for parenthood before social media. Their inadequacy is exacerbated by the temptations of online tomfoolery. Probably because many parents use technology as babysitters to raise their dependents for them. Our government tried to prohibit alcohol consumption in the 1920s to no avail. But maybe prohibition of social media for children can be more effective. Before we pass the point of safe return to civilized society.

Schools are seeing success in policies banning cellphone use by students. Anxiety and stress suffered by students decrease with less cellphone use. Kids are more engaged and having more social interaction with others. They also report fewer discipline problems and violent behavior. There is evidence building that could improve the well being of our children if we heed it.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned Florida's House passed a measure that would ban children under 16 from joining social media platforms. There is research illustrating how social media is "an important driver" of our "national youth mental health crisis".

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree social media is fueling many problems in our society. And I do support efforts to protect our children. But this situation seems better suited for federal application on a national level. Maybe Florida will inspire our federal government to take up the issue. Either way any bill seems destined for litigation in court.

Presently I am leaning toward supporting these protective bills being created. We need to do all we can to protect our kids, especially if America isn't willing to implement any gun violence mitigation legislation. I feel like we can have a civil discussion on this topic. I am not confident we will, but that rarely stops me from trying. Anyone have thoughts on banning kids under 16 from social media? It seems like a fresh, relevant issue we could wear out like we do with the popular wedge issues :).

The Federal government has no authority except that which is granted to it by the Constitution. It needs to stay in its lane. States can do what they like.

And parents can too.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's also basically unworkable.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The issue I have is that banning under a certain age will not stop them from gaining access. Children are tech and internet savvy and those who are determined will find a way around the “ban”. This will only make it harder for parents to know what their kids are up to with apps and websites.

Seems like it would be better to push social media to monitor content and better tools for parents to monitor their kids online access.

I agree, it would behoove America if congress could legislate anything beneficial to us citizens. Alas, we don't seem to vote for a functional congress anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m sure this law will work as well as the laws requiring people who view illicit content must be over 21.

Personally, I’m tired of the Republican fascination with “I don’t like it so I shall legislate it so you can’t like it either.”

Is social media an issue? Yes. But it exists and the toothpaste is out of the tube. The logical step is to educate on responsible usage, update our laws to better prosecute cyber-crimes (threats, bullying, sexual content leak/non consensual dissemination, doxxing), require more reporting transparency of social media companies for the purposes of prosecution, and teach responsible social media use in schools.

The fact that Florida will pass legislation to put more limits on social media than guns is just bonkers to me.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m sure this law will work as well as the laws requiring people who view illicit content must be over 21.

Personally, I’m tired of the Republican fascination with “I don’t like it so I shall legislate it so you can’t like it either.”

Is social media an issue? Yes. But it exists and the toothpaste is out of the tube. The logical step is to educate on responsible usage, update our laws to better prosecute cyber-crimes (threats, bullying, sexual content leak/non consensual dissemination, doxxing), require more reporting transparency of social media companies for the purposes of prosecution, and teach responsible social media use in schools.

The fact that Florida will pass legislation to put more limits on social media than guns is just bonkers to me.

States have a right to legislate with the intention of keeping citizens safe. Especially if congress doesn't help in efforts to minimize the effects of social media on our kids. I am 100% in agreement with your final sentence. But this is at the very least something positive to mitigate the mental repercussions of too much child consumption of social media. If they won't let em read Huckleberry Finn then maybe they shouldn't let em be exposed to harmful social media either. Statistics may end up showing that gun violence decreases in direct proportion to social media consumption. Fewer Facebook feuds = fewer mass shootings?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
States have a right to legislate with the intention of keeping citizens safe. Especially if congress doesn't help in efforts to minimize the effects of social media on our kids. I am 100% in agreement with your final sentence. But this is at the very least something positive to mitigate the mental repercussions of too much child consumption of social media. If they won't let em read Huckleberry Finn then maybe they shouldn't let em be exposed to harmful social media either. Statistics may end up showing that gun violence decreases in direct proportion to social media consumption. Fewer Facebook feuds = fewer mass shootings?
I think at some point, instead of pretending something doesn’t exist, the solution is to teach people how to use it better. Realistically, this isn’t enforceable, both from a standpoint of how it will be policed, and by the fact that for influencers to make money off of social, the law conflicts with their employment laws.

The next step is education, not banning.

The only consolation is that the younger generation sees this stuff and it pushes them further and further from supporting the right. It is like the right wants to make “the party of the desperately out of touch” its whole identity.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think at some point, instead of pretending something doesn’t exist, the solution is to teach people how to use it better. Realistically, this isn’t enforceable, both from a standpoint of how it will be policed, and by the fact that for influencers to make money off of social, the law conflicts with their employment laws.

The next step is education, not banning.

The only consolation is that the younger generation sees this stuff and it pushes them further and further from supporting the right. It is like the right wants to make “the party of the desperately out of touch” its whole identity.

I hear you. I am a huge believer in education myself. The problem nowadays is people will choose the warped education provided by the internet and not documented facts. Americans have latched onto the instant gratification of self and forgotten their principles along the way.

If I see a child ever reading a real book I praise the kid profusely to encourage their growth and imagination. I wish congress could have legislated some boundaries for children on social media or more liability for purveyors before the cat was let out of the bag. I can hardly imagine what that would entail but anything would have been better than the free for all we see on the internet today.

In my day we had to put forth serious effort to find a cigarette or dirty magazine. Both mental and physical effort. Savvy kids can now have both delivered to their door while mom ain't home. And much more. Temptation at the touch of a button. I can easily understand why I believe in Revelation. Humanity doesn't seem capable of saving itself, but rather intent on destroying itself.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You do realize that Christian Forums is social media.

Though considering why several young people I talked with no longer use this site, perhaps protecting other young people by not allowing them here is not a bad idea.

If any law like this one does pass, I'm looking forward to the thread complaining about a pastor being fined or arrested for having an online meeting or conversation setup that qualifies as social media.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do realize that Christian Forums is social media.

Though considering why several young people I talked with no longer use this site, perhaps protecting other young people by not allowing them here is not a bad idea.

If any law like this one does pass, I'm looking forward to the thread complaining about a pastor being fined or arrested for having an online meeting or conversation setup that qualifies as social media.

I do understand this is social media. And I agree with nearly everything you said. I just rarely look forward to controversy or negativity. You are probably right though. There will be some tough boundaries to establish consistently.

There is an advantage in having so many states in our union. It allows several methods of finding out which laws may benefit the entire nation. Other states might try limiting content, time spent etc for a young audience.

I usually don't favor banning things in America. Growing up the most popular saying we heard was "Free country". Someone questioned what you're doing and that is how we answered. But adults are obligated to try to protect the kids. If parents can't or won't do it, I can't object if the government is forced to take up the task. The health and well-being of our future generations seem worth the sacrifice to me. I'm fairly certain a majority of people do not fathom the amount of anxiety and stress our technology era is heaping upon society. I was flabbergasted a few years ago when one of my psychology professors enlightened me. I was one of the last holdouts in buying a cellphone myself and couldn't comprehend how it could stress people out so much.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It does seem to be connected to very negative mental health outcomes. I'm not sure how this would be done though.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I think the issue is that social media is harmful to children. It's not a specific type of content, but rather an algorithm created for popularity and outrage. These are what engage users.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

How can we educate our kids about social media use, when we can't even educate our parents about it?

Upvote 0