Flat Earth V.S Round Earth? (Also helio/geocentrism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟253,398.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Careful, I back up my beliefs with my own thinking. Not someone else's. I can explain why I disagree with concepts like Evolution because I have invested the time into it myself and have come to my own conclusions. You can't reply on someone else's answer on a test and expect to get a passing grade, but that's what you seem to be doing.
I think your position is very unrealistic given the complexity of the world in which we live.

Are you suggesting that when it comes to issues like vaccines, evolution, and global warming, you believe you are qualified to come up with a valid position. It certainly seems that way.

That seems wildly implausible - all these questions are too complex for non-experts to tackle, and I politely suggest one is engaged in the most egregious of self-aggrandizing delusions if one believes that one can answer such questions for oneself.

This is why we need to also talk about the "meta-issues" - the larger questions that sit on top of the issue of whether the earth is flat, or whether evolution is a fact. Why? Because as if the church did not have enough to be embarrassed about, we don't need conspiracy-theory based distrust of science added into the mix.

Upvote 0

lunalinda

Random. Raw. Real
Aug 18, 2003
Orlando, FL
✟19,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Juuuust commenting to return later. No time at the moment, but I find this subject fascinating. It only just came to my attention about a week ago, but even I have to admit, that I was instantly intrigued (as I've always been, just like every single one of us, a spherical earther by default) To even question it seemed like lunacy. And that, therein, is the fascination. Why WOULD anyone question it? Hence, the research began. Anyway, I'll return later I hope.

Upvote 0

Shea Rodriguez

Oct 30, 2016
Oregon
✟17,584.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have always (and still do) believe that the Earth is indeed spherical.

But I've noticed lately that there are a surprising number of Christians who hold to the flat earth/geocentric model. And so I was wondering which model people here subscribed to. I'm really interested in creating some discussion about this.

Do you believe the Earth is round or flat? What is your evidence?

Here's some of my evidence to start off:

• The night sky in the northern hemisphere appears to rotate around polaris. It appears to rotate the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere around the southern cross. This can't happen on the flat earth model.
  • On the flat earth model, someone in Canada and someone in Argentina could potentially be looking at different sides of the moon, but everyone always sees the same side.
  • Gps systems are created with a spherical earth in mind. They wouldn't work otherwise.
  • Ships disappear over the horizon bottom first.
  • This video shows how snipers have to take in to account the rotation of the Earth when shooting.
The bible supports a flat earth. It speaks of 4 corners, which can't be a sphere, but can be a square platform with a circle scribed onto it where the dome meets the platform. If Christ's return is to be witnessed by the whole earth, it won't happen on a globe. The same for the Daniel 4:11 with the tree that could seen from the ends of the earth. Couldn't happen on a globe. If the earth were spinning at 1100 mph and going around the sun, which is supposedly stationary to the earth, then how did the sun stop in Joshua 10:13. On the movement of the luminaries. The Book of Enoch, Section III

Upvote 0

Shea Rodriguez

Oct 30, 2016
Oregon
✟17,584.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

christianpessimist

Apr 5, 2017
Alabama
✟10,560.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The bible supports a flat earth. It speaks of 4 corners, which can't be a sphere, but can be a square platform with a circle scribed onto it where the dome meets the platform. If Christ's return is to be witnessed by the whole earth, it won't happen on a globe. The same for the Daniel 4:11 with the tree that could seen from the ends of the earth. Couldn't happen on a globe. If the earth were spinning at 1100 mph and going around the sun, which is supposedly stationary to the earth, then how did the sun stop in Joshua 10:13. On the movement of the luminaries. The Book of Enoch, Section III
Corners could just mean parts of the earth or quadrants. If the dome model were true, Polaris would always be visible on all parts of the earth, and it isn't. Stars appear to move in circles around polaris in the northern hemisphere, and around the southern cross in the southern hemisphere - in the opposite direction. They also appear to move perpendicular to the surface of the earth when they would move parallel with it if it were a dome.

The tree mentioned in Daniel was in a dream and not a literal view of the Earth.

If God made the earth stand still then the sun would appear to not move.

Upvote 0

Shea Rodriguez

Oct 30, 2016
Oregon
✟17,584.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Juuuust commenting to return later. No time at the moment, but I find this subject fascinating. It only just came to my attention about a week ago, but even I have to admit, that I was instantly intrigued (as I've always been, just like every single one of us, a spherical earther by default) To even question it seemed like lunacy. And that, therein, is the fascination. Why WOULD anyone question it? Hence, the research began. Anyway, I'll return later I hope.
A better question to ask is why are there no photographs of earth from space, only computer generated images?

Upvote 0

christianpessimist

Apr 5, 2017
Alabama
✟10,560.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A better question to ask is why are there no photographs of earth from space, only computer generated images?
We have taken pictures of Earth from the Moon and from Mars.

More often than not we have not been out far enough to take a picture of the whole thing, so satellites take many pictures of the surface of the earth and then they are spliced together.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,388.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The earth is not flat.

I agree but we need more solid arguments....

1) Lunar eclipses are predictable with 100% accuracy. That's because we know what causes them, we know the sizes and shapes of the bodies involved, their orbits, their rates of orbit and rotation, speeds, etc. The flat earth model has no viable explanation for the phenomenon. But I can list the next twenty-five or more lunar eclipses visible from their location, what time they'll start and end, whether they are full, partial or penumbral, and at what point in the sky they'll begin and end. No flat earth theory can do the same, because they have no real explanation for them.

In all actuality, there are many documented cases where the moon has been eclipsed by a shadow, being called a Lunar eclipse, yet, the sun is in full view to the person viewing the lunar eclipse.

This is in fact an impossibility if it is the earth's shadow passing across the lunar surface.

This brings to question what is actually the cause of a lunar eclipse and ends your argument for a globe model on this point.

2) Polar days and nights defy the flat earth model. There are as many as forty days of day or night at either polar region. This is incompatible with a flat earth model where the sun travels around and above a disc. The sun would have to occasionally travel in a small circle at the center of the disc, which would result in extremely short days in all other areas of the world. And it wouldn't work at all with a south pole that ranges the entire edge of the flat earth model. The sun would follow the outer edge and only illuminate certain areas at a time.

It does one some good to investigate the arguments that are being presented by the flat earth people. Their model gives a perfectly sound explanation for the "midnight sun" at the north pole. This is not proof for or against the flat earth, or globe model.

As for the south pole. Your argument is up against this:

• Antarctica is off-limits, so this claim cannot be independently verified - unlike the arctic midnight sun which has been experienced in regions much below the north pole
  • if there was an antarctic midnight sun, then regions close to Antarctica (Chile, Argentina, New Zealand) should also experience it, but this is not the case.
  • Antarctica (the ice ring) does not receive the same amount of sunlight and heat as the north pole. this is proven by the fact that Antarctica is perpetually frozen; its climate is greatly different from that of the arctic regions.
  • ballers will point to a few antarctic islands (just below the Falkland islands) that receives about 20 hours of sunlight a few days in summer and claim "see, Antarctica gets 20 hours of sunlight, FE debunked". However those islands do NOT represent the whole of the ice continent Antarctica.
  • The FE model allows for the outer edge of Antarctica - where those islands are - to experience sunlight.
Sorry, but I need to have something that can not be refuted this easily.

3) Constellations don't work with a flat earth model. On a flat plane, people in North and South America would be able to see the same constellations. But some are visible to one hemisphere and not to the other, and vice versa. That's because the curvature obscures the view.

Again, this does not fly. The flat earth model claims the same argument. This point is not proof of either...

“Another thing is certain, that from within the equator the north pole star, and the constellations Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, and many others, can be seen from every meridian simultaneously; whereas in the south, from the equator, neither the so-called south pole star, nor the remarkable constellation of the Southern Cross, can be seen simultaneously from every meridian, showing that all the constellations of the south – pole star included – sweep over a great southern arc and across the meridian, from their rise in the evening to their setting in the morning. But if the earth is a globe, Sigma Octantis, a south pole star, and the Southern Cross, a southern circumpolar constellation, they would all be visible at the same time from every longitude on the same latitude, as is the case with the northern pole star and the northern circumpolar constellations. Such, however, is not the case.” –Dr. Samuel Rowbotham,

4) While it might be argued that ships disappearing hull first as they grow more distant is just a mirage, the same can't be said about buildings that are half gone from the bottom up, as is the case when you look across Lake Michigan from New York with a telescope.

This point is the one I struggle with the most. The point of objects being beyond the curve. Ships sailing over the curve, the far shore being beyond vision as it is beyond the curve. Cameras simply zoom in and the ship reappears. This should not be possible if they are over the curve.

In fact, this is solid truth, there are numerous objects that are visible to the naked eye that should be impossible to see due to the curve.

The curve of the earth is not as slow as you would think. It is actually 8" in a mile.
Think about that. The earth drops away at a rate of eight inches per mile. Well, that's the first mile. Due to the surface being a ball the true calculation is (DxD)x8inches. D being the distance in miles. So at 10 miles that is 10 x 10 x 8 which equals 800 inches, or 66.667 feet.

Here is a site that shows proof that we can, in fact, see things that should not be possible due to the curve. If you want, you can look into this more.

I will say this. Even as a globe believer, something is not right with the size of the earth or the curve rate that they are giving us. I grew up on a lake and there is no way that the earth curves this fast. I can see too far, any time of year in any weather for this quick of a curve to be true.

This is why this is my most difficult fact of the shape of the earth. It is observable, measurable and testable and I can do it myself.....

NO CURVE

5) Then there's the math, which isn't debatable. Before there were government conspiracies, mathematicians in the third or fourth century BC had already figured out that the earth was a sphere using sticks, shadows, and simple math. Any elementary class could do the same experiment.

I looked into this one as well. The stick and shadow works if the sun is 92 million miles away. Flat earth theory places it more like 3000 miles away. Anyway, the stick shadow experiment only proves that the sun shines on the earth at different angles in different places. This is actually perfectly in line with the Flat earth model and these experiments are easily used to back up the flat earth math as well as the globe.

Again, we must toss this out as globe proof.

My experience with the flat earth folks is that they refuse to see reason, so it's pointless to debate it. They have an answer for everything. And no matter how shabby or ridiculous those answers are, they won't give up the ship. Everyone should do themselves a favor and not have this argument.

I agree, they have an answer for everything.... Does that not concern you?
Have you really gave them a fair shake? Looked into what they are saying?
We all have been taught that the earth was a ball. Right from the first day in school, there it was. We have been taught to ridicule the flat earth people as if they are flat heads... My whole life I have been of one mind set... the earth is round and we know this because we are more knowledgeable than in the past.

This is cognitive dissonance.

Well, I am looking into this with an open mind. I throw out anything that is not solid proof of the globe. NASA has eliminated itself as being in any a trustworthy source. We have no real pictures or video's of the globe. The military is easily controlled. The astronauts are all "Masons" which is a secretive society... The bible, as I am reluctant to say, presents a flat earth. No experiments out there prove that we are moving or that we are a ball shaped planet. Gravity is still a theory. Buoyancy would be better explanation. But the big one is that we can see objects way way way too far away for the earth to be as small and/ or round as they say.

• Agree
Reactions: SeventyOne
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Corners could just mean parts of the earth or quadrants. If the dome model were true, Polaris would always be visible on all parts of the earth, and it isn't. Stars appear to move in circles around polaris in the northern hemisphere, and around the southern cross in the southern hemisphere - in the opposite direction. They also appear to move perpendicular to the surface of the earth when they would move parallel with it if it were a dome.

The tree mentioned in Daniel was in a dream and not a literal view of the Earth.

If God made the earth stand still then the sun would appear to not move.

Actually, Polaris would not be visible. The flat earth stance is the heavenly bodies are much, much closer than we are being told. Since it would be the farthest point on any flat map, eventually it would disappear just as a simple mechanism of perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟253,398.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The bible supports a flat earth. It speaks of 4 corners, which can't be a sphere, but can be a square platform with a circle scribed onto it where the dome meets the platform.
It's fascinating to me that you cannot see that the reference to could easily be a metaphor. And even if it were not - even if the writer believed the earth was flat - that does not support your position unless you adhere to an extreme interpretation of what inspiration means. You appear to simply assume that the Bible cannot be both:

1. Inspired by God, profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; and

2. Not factually correct in a literal sense.

You appear to be forced into saying that if the writer of Genesis was wrong to believe the earth has four corners, the book of Genesis would no longer be " profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness". I don't see how that line of thinking is valid.

Upvote 0

Stefo

Dec 17, 2016
Sydney
✟17,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have always (and still do) believe that the Earth is indeed spherical.

But I've noticed lately that there are a surprising number of Christians who hold to the flat earth/geocentric model. And so I was wondering which model people here subscribed to. I'm really interested in creating some discussion about this.

Do you believe the Earth is round or flat? What is your evidence?

Here's some of my evidence to start off:

• The night sky in the northern hemisphere appears to rotate around polaris. It appears to rotate the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere around the southern cross. This can't happen on the flat earth model.
  • On the flat earth model, someone in Canada and someone in Argentina could potentially be looking at different sides of the moon, but everyone always sees the same side.
  • Gps systems are created with a spherical earth in mind. They wouldn't work otherwise.
  • Ships disappear over the horizon bottom first.
  • This video shows how snipers have to take in to account the rotation of the Earth when shooting.

In all probability, the earth is round, and yet the traditional Church, which is right, taught it is flat. How can this be?

Consider this please: the problem with the 'philosophers', who Jesus denounced, is that they do not take everything into account, and then put it in its natural place, according to the order of things. In doing so, those affected by this error in perception, which includes many modern thinkers, fail to respect the fact that the earth is only round and orbits the sun FROM ONE PARTICULAR PERSPECTIVE ONLY, AND AT THE EXPENSE OF ALL OTHER PERSPECTIVES THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. Now, as regards other possible perspectives, we see without doubt that from the purely human perspective, that is without artifices like rocket ships and the like, that the earth is indeed flat and that the sun does indeed orbit the earth etc.

The Church understood this well, going one further by accepting the fact that if we are to be capable of fathoming the unfathomable (God) then we had better start by studying what is revealed of God at the human level, discern the divine symbolism therein, and then work up. Modern thought does not respect this knowledge, and is increasingly atheistic as a result.

As to what the symbolism of the flat earth that is orbited by the sun is, we can note that God is stable and watching over us, and this in no way changes when we come to realise that the earth is also round and orbits the sun, because to take this as a sign of error by the Church would be to take the creation away from its relationship with the creator.

I know this last point is somewhat garbled, but I can't be clearer for you right now. Nonetheless, the points made earlier should be straightforward enough, and give you something to consider

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,388.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Off the top of my head...

Positives:
Destroys the evolutionary concepts of origins.
Places man back into a prominent place in creation.
Demonstrates a Creator and deals a huge blow to atheistic thought.
Destroys the idea of alien progenitors.
Also makes us important, central to God's vision and destroys the illusion that we are some random chance existence floating aimlessly around a vast void.

Upvote 0

christianpessimist

Apr 5, 2017
Alabama
✟10,560.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Since it would be the farthest point on any flat map, eventually it would disappear just as a simple mechanism of perspective.

The farthest point would be from one far end to the other. The sun and moon are said to be 3,000 miles above the surface of the earth, and the dome much higher than that. Polaris is not going to fade away due to perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The farthest point would be from one far end to the other. The sun and moon are said to be 3,000 miles above the surface of the earth, and the dome much higher than that. Polaris is not going to fade away due to perspective.

It is the point farthest away from every other point, as in, everything is 'south' from there. And yes, it would disappear by perspective in that model, just as the sun and moon would.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,388.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What do any of those have to do with salvation?
I find this argument more and more. I have reposted my post #93 from this thread....

Ahhh, there it is. I was waiting for this.

This is the final nail in the coffin for the death of your argument. Any argument, dealing with the bible, that ends with

" well, it ain't necessary for my salvation"

is dead.

We, as Christians, cannot pick and choose which scripture verses we want to take as truth and which to take as myth and which to be allegorical or parable based on whether or not it makes sense in the realms of science or natural phenomenon.

We believe that Christ was born of a virgin, turned water to wine, walked on water, healed blind men, crippled people, sent demons into a heard of pigs, fed more than 5000 people with a couple of fish and five loaves of bread. He died and rose again, ate food and had the wounds of the crucifixion.

All of this is against all natural phenomenon, science and rational reason... Yet we believe. We believe because if we don't....... we have no hope, we are lost, we are destined to Hell.

BUT.......... we can toss out anything else the bible tells us, if it contradicts science, causes contradiction to rational thought or gets us ridiculed by "educated" people......all because it doesn't affect my salvation.....

How Sad........

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Also makes us important, central to God's vision and destroys the illusion that we are some random chance existence floating aimlessly around a vast void.

True. No telling how many people have gone on to hell for buying into the atheistic evolution paradigm, whose foundation is built on the heliocentric model.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟19,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think your position is very unrealistic given the complexity of the world in which we live.

I think if the complexity fascinates someone enough, they would be motivated to study this complexity themselves. Exploration is part of life, don't let others do the exploring for you.

Are you suggesting that when it comes to issues like vaccines, evolution, and global warming, you believe you are qualified to come up with a valid position. It certainly seems that way.

If something is of interest to me I will research it myself, but there are too many subjects.. I try to only take positions I can hold myself. I won't claim the Earth is flat or spherical because if I trust others position, I could be as wrong as them. This is one of the subjects that interests me to the point I'm willing to test if there is curvature myself.. I have a plan to test the Curvature later this year!

That seems wildly implausible - all these questions are too complex for non-experts to tackle, and I politely suggest one is engaged in the most egregious of self-aggrandizing delusions if one believes that one can answer such questions for oneself.

What is it that makes someone an expert to you?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.