Reconciling Flat Earthers with Spherical Earthers.

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a very fiercely defended topic regardless of which side you are on. The point of the thread is not to try to prove who is right/wrong. I am well aware that these discussions often devolve into exactly that, a back and forth on who is right and who is wrong, however; please respond to the following two questions before you begin said back and forth.

1. Should individual churches take an official position on the topic of flat vs. spherical Earth? What about the Church as a whole? Why or why not?

2. How would you handle a situation in which this topic began to become divisive and create discord within your local church? Assume you are an elder or leader.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
The church should be telling people how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation), which is a simple message. Belief/faith in Jesus, but yet many fail at this simple straight forward message.

So until churches can do the simple correct, they should not delve into more complicated Biblical subjects/topics.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

jmz

Oct 23, 2023
Auckland
✟3,258.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a very fiercely defended topic regardless of which side you are on. The point of the thread is not to try to prove who is right/wrong. I am well aware that these discussions often devolve into exactly that, a back and forth on who is right and who is wrong, however; please respond to the following two questions before you begin said back and forth.

1. Should individual churches take an official position on the topic of flat vs. spherical Earth? What about the Church as a whole? Why or why not?

2. How would you handle a situation in which this topic began to become divisive and create discord within your local church? Assume you are an elder or leader.
I would suggest that just due to the fact any individual in the western world with basic cheap instrumentation can test and proove the spherical-esque nature of the planet, that the church should just align that way and get back to focusing on souls.

So in short...its embarrasing to take a flat earth position.

That's my take on it at least.

As to the second question i would request for proof from scripture that suggests that this is a divisive doctrinal topic. A couple of versus from Genesis and some poetic words from psalms doesnt quite cut it imo. Moreover it appears its not a crucial aspect of being a follower of Jesus. So therefore its no more divisive than arguing about black jellybeans good or bad?
If it were the virgin birth, or any number of prophecies about Jesus, or the creation of the world then yes that seems pivotal as it affects the core narrative of scripture.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. I would not give it official attention, partly because I do not see it as a significant thing for ministering us to be conformed to the image of Jesus > Romans 8:28.

2. But if ones got into strife about it, I would mainly encourage people not to argue and fight. And I would evaluate how each person is growing in Jesus or not. And I would use example, simply saying I have accepted that the earth is spherical but not push this, but encourage people to keep attention to what helps us mature in Jesus and how He has us share as family and love any and all people.

And I could offer how I have not seen any photos of the edges of a flat earth's water or ground.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I came to the realization that in the New Testament we can find no other grounds for one church to be different from
another except for locality of living. There are no exceptions. There are four mentions of the church in somebody's house.
But these too were locality wide churches that started in the home of someone.

The term "local church" has been used to excuse many denominations.
I cannot find any basis for denominating the believers into sects or divisions based on things like you suggest.

If I am wrong find me a church in the New Testament which was divided by anything else except
the city in which the believers lived.

Then you'll see your answer. And also see we should not refer to denominations as "local churches."
And believers in a city can be one city wide church and have different views on the shape of the planet.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't see any solid reason why anyone "should" treat the topic with dogmatic certainty either way. Why? Because science (and history) is typically interested in provisional truth rather than presenting ancient propositions about absolute truth.

Assuming I was an elder or a leader, I'd encourage everyone to hold their own opinions and interpretations with a large pinch of graciousness as they might deign to express those opinions toward one another.

If I was an elder or leader, I firmly realize the limits of my own authority and power as a member of "the Church," and I don't think it'd be within my purview or within the limitations of all things Hermeneutical in relation to the Bible, to conduct either witch-hunts or inquisitions of supposed heretics. Besides, I rather enjoy reading about the thought lives of Copernicus and Galileo, Descartes and Pascal, and most scientists whether they be Christian or Atheists from the Modern Era to today. And I'm sure I could also fit in a reading of the thoughts of Flat-earthers as well, if not for the simple joy of getting a chuckle out of it in the process. ;)

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a very fiercely defended topic regardless of which side you are on.
I mean, it is because people will believe and then defend any stupid thing, but it shouldn’t be because we solved this debate hundreds of years ago.
The point of the thread is not to try to prove who is right/wrong. I am well aware that these discussions often devolve into exactly that, a back and forth on who is right and who is wrong, however; please respond to the following two questions before you begin said back and forth.

No, because it’s accepted fact it’s round. The church can’t decree people not be ignorant.
I would drop the people who actually believe it’s flat off at a 1st grade science class and then wash my hands of it. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them take a drink.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

1. Not a specific position on that minutiae per se. It would be more a position on the veracity of the Bible, the role of hermeneutics, the preeminence of the Gospel, etc.

2. I'd try to redirect the conversation back to Christ where it belongs.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I wouldn't have it in an official position on paper. I'd think by putting it down it really would open the door for the church to be mocked, as in you really think it was necessary to do?
I'd assess to what degree it was problem. if it's one or two individuals I'd have a private meeting with them, in love (not using these words) but I'd tell them to knock it off. If it became a big problem then I guess I'd have a board meeting to get support.

I'd insist for those involved to not make the bigger mistake of walking in strife over the matter. Regardless of what all might think keeping the commandment of Love Trumps this natural realm knowledge.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Years ago I use to visit some FL Earth sites. Never did they come close to causing me to believe it. I liked the rebuttal videos made by others refuting the FL E claims. I do like it too when it's shown through test and observations one can do themselves where you can prove the Earth is round.

There nothing like education which a person can see something demonstrated before their eyes and not just go by everybody believes it is. . I know that it is but it's good to educate people not by indoctrination as in accept it, but rather let is demonstrate it.

Reactions: Michael Snow
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,756.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The church is not there to teach scientific things, as such.

Scripture is grossly misinterpreted by flat earth believers. They wouldnt go along with any church's teaching on the shape of the earth unless it mirrored their own beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A question maybe to those who know. My brother told me once that during the time of Columbus sailing the seas, people really did know the Earth was round. What Columbus did was demonstrate what they actually did know. Apparently Egyptians and others knew the Earth was spherical. but I'm curious what did other cultures actually think of this issue. i'm wondering when some ships never did come back did some wonder if they fell off the edge of the world?

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I came to the realization that in the New Testament we can find no other grounds for one church to be different from
another except for locality of living. There are no exceptions. There are four mentions of the church in somebody's house.
But these too were locality wide churches that started in the home of someone.

The term "local church" has been used to excuse many denominations.
I cannot find any basis for denominating the believers into sects or divisions based on things like you suggest.

If I am wrong find me a church in the New Testament which was divided by anything else except
the city in which the believers lived.

Then you'll see your answer. And also see we should not refer to denominations as "local churches."
And believers in a city can be one city wide church and have different views on the shape of the planet.
Perhaps your post is better suited to another thread.

Paul and Peter built churches differently than John when he built churches.
There are a number of 'differences' in the NT about things of which you speak that did not have a disagreement nature.
Then there are the disagreements on Salvation.
Start a thread. Please don't hijack one.

You are changing his question and telling him you have now answered his real question. That is incorrect.

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Churches should be teaching the truth. Those statements used that indicate an orb are not in context. Flat earth is a child game and for the foolish. The Church should not embrace this.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-

If a church is going to teach against evolution, they should also include a globe earth. As neither one, evolution or globe earth is supported by The Bible. Just as a work based Eternal Life salvation is not supported.

• Wow
Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0