Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am going to try to post my first draft of a novel I am in the process of writing. Feel free to "interupt" with comments, questions, suggestions and such, as I will do my best to keep the entire story straight in this initial post! Also, I apologize for the poor formatting, the forums are still a bit tricky for me.

Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5
Post 6
Post 7
Post 8
...... and so on, come back and check regularly!

Last edited:

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Lucifer is not the Devil."
The sky was a dark hue of purple. The first birds were starting to chirp. Not many of them, but that just made each voice stand out more clearly.
"What?"
A strange hum hung in the air. Not a sound, but a vibration. An energy. It felt personal, it felt very close, not like something that was carried on the dusty winds that clung to the barren waste that spread in every direction. It made the skin crawl, like a tuning fork struck on the side of a table. A hum. A vibration. An energy.
"No, really. It's a common misinterpretation of scripture. The name Lucifer refers to the morning star, the luminous one, but the person it calls out is the king of Babylon."
The man sitting there, on the rock, spouting these odd words, looked old. Not in years, but in body. An old man in a young body, the true age inside wearing down the skin on its outside. A lot of it was in his eyes. Green, with a speck of brown, but more than that, tired folds around them. Someone who had seen too much too soon.
"Is this... what is this?"
Raising a hand felt like lifting a boulder. The left one floated as it rose, swerving precariously around like a drunken fly. The right one rose like it was raised by a crane, slow, heavy, but steady.
"Well, it's just a theory, I guess. But the passage is literally aimed at the arrogance of the Babylonian king, for thinking himself to be... Uhm, are you okay there, buddy?"
Simple question, difficult answer. Everything felt both right and wrong, all at the same time.
"These are not my hands."
They were dark hands, tanned skin worn darker by phycial labor. They seemed completely wrong, the fingers to long, the palms too wide. From the rock nearby, the other man rose to his feet, slowly, almost carefully, as if he feared falling over. In truth, he seemed to more be looking, his eyes piercing through the dawn like beams of light.
"Well, they do seem to be very attached to you. Get it, attached, because..."
He smiled. A very friendly smile, warm, welcoming, as he gestured with his finger. A friend. He seemed like a friend, a close one at that. There were nobody else around, just the rocks and their shadows, the latter growing visibly shorter as the sun rose from below its horizon. He wore simple clothes, the man. A long, robe-like coat in dull colors, brown and grey with specks of black. Old, like he was inside his body. A few torn patches here and there, sewn up or closed with bits of wire.
"Where are we?"
His friendly smile faded, lips turning to concern, eyes squinting as his brows narrowed with worry.
"Six point twenty-two east," he answered, looking like that was a perfectly logical thing to say.
"What? I'm not sure..."
Slowly, the man knelt down, looking, head swaying from side to side for new perspectives. His hands felt cold against the forehead as he checked for a fever.
"Look, you did hit your head a bit hard, and I am starting to worry..."
"I did?"
He nodded, slowly, full of concern. There was something in his eyes, a deeper kindness than to be expected from a regular acquaintance. The frinedliness seemed genuine. He seemed to truly care.
"Do you remember your name?"
Thought leapt back and forth. Images, sounds, some of them in the form of letters or even numbers. None of them seemed to fit the shape of the question asked.
"No."
To no surprise at all, the concern in his eyes grew deeper. A sigh left him, seemingly against his better judgment, because he cut it off before it could fully finish being formed. A couple of patches on his shoulders looked like markers, or labels of some kind. Insignias that symbolized something completely unclear.
"Thor. Your name is Thor. Do you remember me?"
Like a wooden board in a hurricane, the name swept around and around amongst thoughts. It felt right, but also somehow wrong.
"Thor? Like the norse god of thunder?"
His eyes suddenly became less piercing, looking like he was trying to be serious while holding back a laugh.
"Yes. You are the living incarnation of the ancient god of thunder."
It took him a few seconds to realize that the joke was completely lost on the audience. This time, his sigh was deliberate, and was allowed to drag all the way to its finish.
"It's a name. Your name is Thor. I am Conrad. We went out here to check on a distress call, and you slipped and fell."
"Distress call? Is anyone hurt?"
Shaking his head, the man, Conrad, stood up again, stretching his knees a bit like an old man rising from a long sit in his chair.
"Turned out to be a minor crash, just dumb kids racing their bikes. Only one hurt seems to be you."
Blood. Dried blood. It felt like a bit of dirt on the forehead, like the crust of dried up mudsplatter. Not a lot of it, but it was there.
"Am I okay?"
In a surprising turn, the man laughed, although he immediately tried to suppress it. It seemed to be less a laugh of humor and more one of relief, however odd that thought might have been.
"No, clearly not, but you're getting there. We'll take you by the clinic on our way home."
With those words, he strolled over to something parked out of sight. Turning to look revealed two oblong boxes, edges smoothed to a soft round shape, various doodads adorning their surface. He, Conrad, walked casually over to one and swung his leg over it, sitting down on the thing and making it move slightly at his weight.
"We'll go slow. You remember how to drive, right?"
Stepping up to the thing, a barrage of images came flooding in. Memories. Knowledge. The skills related to this. A bike. More precisely, an old glider. White and blue patterns designated it a medical vehicle. The insignia on the side of its nose labeled it an emergency vehicle. It was the same insignia on Conrad's coat.
"I think it might be coming back to me as we speak."
Conrad nodded, still looking over in concern, a halfway fake smile on his lips as he tried to downplay his worries. As he started up the engine, his glider rose a bit off the ground and its support legs folded in. One leg folded poorly, sticking out slightly from its place in the underside of the vehicle, but he seemed to not care about that, as if it was a known issue that he had learned to live with. Placing his feet in the stirrups, he made it move slowly forwards before looking over again.
The machine was a strange assembly of little lights and dials, or so it seemed. The knowledge about using it, how to start it up and control it, stumbled through brain cells, trying to fit into an order that made sense and was useful. It failed, remaining a mess of thoughts and images in there. But enough of it shone through clearly. Enough to make the thing work.
As dawn grew and the purple was exchanged for red, which in turn began to hint at a dusty blue, the landscape floated by in a strange mix of haste and slow motion. The gliders slipped through the terrain with ease, taking low flight between large stones and over low hills, hugging the ground without ever touching it directly. Like boats through an invisible lake, they banked and swerved softly, keeping the speed low. Conrad stayed just a bit ahead, looking over again and again, making sure there were no more mishaps. There weren't.
Far ahead, over the approaching hills, it finally rose. Reaching into the sky, the imposing walls cut the horizon in two, the dusty blue daylight creeping over the top as the light brown fortification stood unchanged like a castle wall. The Seventh Eastern Enclave, as its official title read. People never called it that, though. Its true name was crudely marked on the old road signs bolted to anything that would go into the barren dirt around it, signs stolen from the ruins of the world that was now just a memory. One sign passed by in the distance as the gliders aimed for the nearest entry post. On the sign, the name of some long forgotten town had been erased, painted over with angry strokes, but beneath it, only part of the state name had been changed, turning the welcome greeting for New Jersey into New Jericho.
"How's the head?"
Slightly warped, Conrad's voice came in mostly clear through the headset inside the helmet. He was still a bit ahead, but kept looking over his shoulder, to the point that it would make anyone worried if he really kept his eyes on where he was going, too!
"Still a bit rustled, but otherwise doing fine!"
It was a truth with some modifications to it. Thoughts and memories still came up jumbled, some of them feeling like they should have been put away into some mental deep storage long ago. Everything still felt weird, wrong, misaligned. But everything that needed to seemed to work.
Even before they needed to, the doors in the massive wall reacted to the approaching gliders, cracking apart and sliding open to allow entry. Markings around the doors told a story, making it clear that this was not a path for common people to enter the city. This was official business only, an integral part of city operations, meant for emergencies and important work.
Lights came on as the gliders slowed to a halt inside the large parking structure. Vehicles of many different sizes and shapes lined the walls, some on the floor, some elevated above the ground to save space or let people move to and fro beneath. There was a strange mix of boarding area and mechanic's garage about it, as if everything existed to do both jobs at once, causing anyone inside to mix and mingle with people that were clearly doing very different work. The moment Conrad parked his glider, two people just casually started to look it over, before he had even gotten off the thing.
"We need to get you to Otis," he said, walking over. There was a serious tone to his voice, something he did not want to say, somethng hidden that worried him. He was fondlong his helmet in an unusual manner, giving his fingers something to do while he spoke. Finally having said what he had to say, he flipped the switch inside the helmet and it folded apart, then folded together into a small package, easy to store in his left underarm pocket.
"Why? I'm fine now."
The look in his eyes told a different story. As the world danced its frantic dance of people doing jobs with hasty precision, he stood still, eyes locked, barely a muscle moving.
"You hit your head hard. We both know that the worst patient is a doctor, so let's not fall into the trap of thinking that saving lives makes us immortal."
Sounds of whirring machines and interlocking components snapping open or shut filled the air, little sparks coloring the carefully crafted lighting in the place with streaks of sometimes blue, sometimes yellow. What he said made sense. It was easier to see the foolishness of others than the folly of oneself, especially when dealing with uncomfortable topics. He was thinking straight, being pragmatic, rational. He usually was.
The walk to the in-house medic was a short one, but not an easy one. Saving people from danger meant stepping into danger oneself, and the risks were painted on the faces, and even moreso on the bodies, of those in the internal medical wing. Broken bones, slashed skin, lost limbs. Room after room had field medics undergoing treatment or dealing with injuries in one way or another. The other medics knew the place all too well, most of them having visited friends and colleagues there while they got better, or while they waited and never did. A reminder of mortality, of how fleeting life could be.
"Thor Eccleston," said the attending doctor as the door closed shut. The short man looked up from his screen pad, trying to figure out whom to talk to. Conrad pointed.
"Him. He took a hard hit to the head out in the badlands, seemed... confused... afterwards."
No name tag. The short man could have removed it himself. Many of the medical staff hated being called by their name by patients. It felt too personal. This man seemed like someone who wanted to keep everything detached and professional. Without much fanfare, he took a small device from his pocket and pointed it like binoculars.
"Am I okay?"
Having the little looking device pointed at the forehead felt awkward, somehow intrusive without being physically intruded upon. The man seemed to not care much about that aspect of the procedure, simply keeping it pointed as he spoke.
"Seems okay. A little better than okay, actually."
"Better how?"
He finally put it away, taking out his screen pad instead and making some hidden notes, no doubt adding whatever the little looking device recorded to the file.
"The scan shows high activity in you brain. Like you're thinking a lot. I'd say that is a good thing, wouldn't you?"
There was an air of impatience to his voice, like the whole thing was bordering on becoming a waste of time. As he got the notes in order, he walked over to his desk chair again, snapping the screen pad into a grip on the desk, which seemed to connect it to his entire workspace.
"So am I cleared to go home?"
A casual look of bewilderment filled his eyes as he looked up from his desk.
"Did I ever tell you to stay?"
With Conrad looking on, clearly a bit upset at the casual dismissal, the man sat down and returned to his report, although it was hard to imagine he had much to put in it, considering the quick examination.
"You seem disappointed?"
Conrad shrugged at the question while leaving the room. All the way out, he kept looking back, as if expecting the doctor to suddenly add something important to the verdict.
"Do you remember falling, Thor? Out in the wastes, do you remember before and after you slipped?"
It should have been an easy question to answer. Yes or no. Remember or not. But thoughts fell over one another to push through, thoughts that had nothing to do with anything, or so it seemed at the time. A chaotic mess of memories, all vying for attention, not one of them caring to explain why.
"No. All I remember is you talking about... what was it, something religious? Something about the Devil?"
His eyes grew darker, uncomfortable. There was worry in them, a lot of it, but he tried to pretend that this was not the case. That he was calm. That everything was fine.
"Yeah. you said you could hear someone calling for you. Then you walked off, and when I found you, face down in the dust, you were talking about things that sounded very religious. I just quoted that old nugget of wisdom to snap you back."
The hallway had come to an end. The arrival bay, and all the offices and the great machine keeping it running, were left behind. The place was now open, a small plaza, emergency personnel walking back and forth, eating, talking, trying to put their work behind them for a few precious minutes. A young man in a fairly new uniform with a cut on it that had been hastily repaired, not yet given the full treatment to hide the damage. An older woman, no insignia on her shoulder, meaning she did office work, carrying her lunch on a tray, careful not to trip or bump into anyone. One man with several insignia and a lifetime of challenges marked across his face, having a very intense talk with one slightly younger than him. All people, all just living there.
"I thought I heard something. A voice, on the wind. Speaking in riddles."
"Hearing voices is not a good thing, Thor," he stated, looking nervously around for someone who might have overheard.
"Not voices. A voice. Singular."
A pause crept in, Conrad apparently needing a moment to ponder the new information. His eyes were still betraying a great deal of worry, although he still tried to keep that hidden.
"What did that voice... say?"
Hearing the question made something light up, some neural connection, brain cells talking to brain cells, reminding each other of what they had known and now needed to know again. It was buried deep, somewhere inside and behind flashes of the wasteland, glimpses of something beyond them, something unknown and yet somehow fmiliar.
"Come."

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds flooded back in. The darkness between brain cells disappeared, and the world became real again.
"Come?" asked Conrad, the worry in his eyes suddenly replaced with confusion. "It just said come?"
"Yes. At least, that was the part I understood."
Across the plaza, opposite the hallways leading to the glider bay and the nameless doctor's office, there were many doors. They all opened into roughly the same area, the automated changing room area, where nimble mechanical limbs would open all the latches and locks on any uniform in seconds, sparing the humans wearing the uniforms the menial task. Each small room was a single person place, private, but sound carried, allowing anyone to maintain a conversation. For several long seconds, Conrad said nothing, and it was had to find words that could turn the conversation onto a casual path. In the silence, that one word kept ringing out, as if emanating from the walls themselves. Come. The word had been alone, a single sound against a torrent of noise. No sentence, no explanation. Come. It raised so many more questions than the logical one of where to come, or when. Or who should even come.
"For the time being," Conrad finally said, as the changing booths both clicked open at the same moment, "keep this between us. If people start questioning our sanity, they might..."
"Our?"
Conrad froze. His eyes were calmer now, but the worry lingered somewhere behind them, like a shadow beneath the waves of a lake.
"Your sanity. If they doubt your sanity, they might question the responsibility they give you. And yes," he added, his voice dropping significantly in both volume and tone, "they might question mine, too, if only for not reporting you."
An exchange of glances was enough. Understanding, respect, concern, compassion. All in a fraction of a second, eyes telling stories that words would take forever to get across. A single hand on a single shoulder cemented both the seriousness and the sincerity of the situation.
"You're a good friend, Conrad."
It was the only thing that needed to be said. It was not, however, the only thing that was said.
"Remember that when Marissa screams at me for keeping your secrets."
It was a joke, a knock at the cost of keeping certain things between trusted friends. But beneath the joke, it was a kind warning.
Marissa. She would be waiting, now. At home, no doubt on the couch with a book in her hands, thoughts in some world of silly heroics and cartoonish villains. Keeping secrets from her was never going to end well. But Conrad's message was clear. Do not let others know. Not yet. They might not understand.

Up above, far above, skies were beginning to darken. The massive city, its majesty visible through the thick mists of perpetually trapped moisture between the towering buildings, loomed over everything like a living, breathing thing onto itself. Walking through the wide garden paths, surrounded by walls of glass and steel, it felt like being in the loving arms of a mighty parent, warm and comforting, but at the same time restricting, the way a child would feel protected but also held tight. Far above, the rich of the city had their days and lives, doing whatever wealth and power let them do with their time. Down here, even along this simple path of carefully chosen trees and bushes planted with great care and nurtured with knowledge and effort, the common people lived a simpler life. A humble life, some might say, but it rarely felt like it. The city was a monument to what human ingenuity had conquered, how it had brought so much back from the brink, preserving what was most dear to the species as a whole.
People walked here, too. Just as in the medical plaza, those from different walks of life mingled freely. Old, young, man, woman. Friends talked on walks through the gardens, lovers stole a shy kiss by an old tree. Sounds of small animals, birds, mostly, filled the air. They were likely not all real, but some were.
As the way home grew shorter and shorter, the darkness finally began to slip in, painting the gardens a slightly more sinister hue. Artificial lights turned on, slowly, matching the lack of natural light and trying not to blind or distract those who still walked there. The crowd had thinned, in a short time, from one or two people at every turn and corner, to barely a single one seen for minutes on end. As the garden ended and cold, simple tiles began, the monotony of the lights and shadows became a bit unsettling. The mind had trouble adjusting to the repetition of tile after tile beneath feet that walked at a steady, constant pace. The lack of more random plants to break the pattern left everything on a loop, over and over, like an old melody skipping in its track. Home was close, though, and it was a well known path.
Finally, a sound broke the monotony. A voice. Not the disembodied voice in the wasteland, a more real, more tangible voice. Raspy, coarse, talking in a seemingly incoherent way. And without warning, a figure came into view. Frail, leaning, clutching the bannister that ran along the side of the tiled path.
"Hello?"
Few other sounds were around. The dull noise of late traffic could be heard from somewhere, but it was far enough away to muffle itself amongst the walls. There were no animal sounds here, nothing natural or artificial to distract the ear. In the silence, even this weak voice stood out like a beacon.
"Shall not... shall not see... the sheep astray..."
His eyes were blinking rapidly, his skin had folds like worn leather. He looked old to the untrained eye, but worn and weary to those who knew how it looked. He walked in a stumbling manner, gripping the bannister till his knuckles were white as marble in the dim light. His clothes were strange, long and more like a robe than anything worn normally. His pants had odd patterns, like other pants had been sewn together clumsily, and they seemed baggy, flapping softly around his legs as he took another uneasy step forward.
"I'm sorry, no sheep here, friend. But let me..."
The man plunged forward, awkwardly, hands gripping in a wild swing! His eyes were piercing, his breath dry and scorching, as harsh as any windswept wasteland.
"Not a sparrow!" he hissed, his face contorted in a strange mix of sorrow and fear.
"District 86, emergency, this is AG409, emergency on Summerbath 3J!"
It was a reflex, no stranger a feeling than catching a stone thrown at the face. A simple swipe across the wristband that connected to the city network. It barely even felt like a conscious action.
Instead, the man's eyes dominated every aspect of reality for that moment. They were wide open, gazing, looking, trying to connect to something, like the wristband connecting to the city emergency services. He whispered words in so low a voice that they for most practical purposes did not exist. But they were there. Quiet, full of pain, they were spoken.
"Do not hide."
He started to collapse. Weak, still clinging to the bannister, he slipped forward ever so slowly. Catching him was easy. He weighed nothing. Holding him was painful.
"Shall not see... the sheep astray..." he kept whispering, over and over, in an ever diminishing voice.
"Relax, someone is coming."
"Shall not see... the sheep astray..."
"District, where is my emergency response?!"
Blinking yellow lights flooded the place out of thin air. Rising from some level beneath the tile path, gliding up just beyond the bannister, the emergency vehicle arrived with a silent fanfare of flashing yellow. In its side, as it hovered by the bannister, its door snapped open, splitting it nearly in two, and two medical workers jumped out.
"AG409?"
"Yes, that's me!"
hanging where it did, the vehicle made no noise and emitted no exhaust itself, but its mere presence changed how the air flowed, creating a slight gust of wind that had a hiss to it. Dust blew by, specks of dirt carried from some distant garden or picked up off the ground. The frail man never even looked at the vehicle, his jaw dropping as if tired of keeping itself up to close the mouth. The eyes grew less brilliant, bit by tiny bit.
"We got him! You can let go now."
The two worked fast, assembling a stretched around the frail man, connecting him to the extended metal arm that reached out of the ambulance vehicle to carry him. It took seconds, and they were gone, the frail man swept off to some clinic nearby. The yellow lights flashed for a bit, illuminating the place even as the vehicle slipped out of sight, and then the dim evening light took over everything. In the space between moments, the entire event became a memory, nothing there to even show what had happened.
Getting back up from the ground was harder than one could have expected. Adrenaline pumping, blood rushing, every neuron firing to keep alert. The body knew that it was made to respond, but suddenly, there was nothing to respond to. Nothing to do but stand back up and walk home.
The walk was short. Home was not that far away, no more than a few minutes strolling along the tiled path. But it felt different now. The dim lights felt disturbing, as if they were hiding more. The quiet felt like a whisper, trying to not be heard.
"Thor?"
Out of the blurry lights, Marissa formed in the doorway. Her voice was full of some hard to place unease, almost as if she expected someone else, or doubted who she was looking at.
"I'm... I'm a bit... in the head..."
Her embrace was quick, another reflex. Stumbling into her arms felt like crossing a finish line, like taking the last strained steps after a marathon.
"What on Earth happened? You're sweating and... sweetheart, you're icy cold!"
Even while walking in, it felt like being dragged, as if she carried all the weight of two on her thin shoulders. Shoes came off with a scraping sound that seemed unusually loud, and everything else stayed on. Once the couch was near enough, it felt like all strength just faded. It was a short and soft fall into the old pillows, but it felt like tumbling off a cliff.
"Thor, what happened? Are you hurt?"
Voices danced in the air, faint but crystal clear, like tiny creatures, screaming loud enough for the human ear to just barely notice.
"Thor, sweetie, speak to me!"
"Marissa?"
"Yes," she answered, her voice quivering nervously.
"Marissa, what is a sparrow?"
A few moments of silence swept through the room. In the kitchen, the various noises of food or drink being made could be heard. The door to the outside world had shut itself. All there was now was home.
"A sparrow?"
"Yes. What is a sparrow?"
"Why?"
Her question was a simple on to ask, but a hard one to answer. The event, the frail man and his odd words, still hung in the air as something without any links to reality. Random sounds, which for some reason formed random words.
"I heard someone say it, but I don't remember what it is."
"A bird, of some sort," she answered after giving it a moment of thought.
"Do we have them here?"
It was clear from her straine dbreath that she was holding back tears, no doubt terrified at the sudden strangeness, the odd questions and unexplained situation.
"I don't know. I think they went extinct long ago."
"Then why did he mention them?"
"Who, Thor? Who mentioned them?"

Light. Brilliant, but cold. Intense whiteness. A numb sensation accompanied it, like being sedated while still awake.
"He is in shock," said a voice somewhere.
"I think he is waking up," said another.
The light slid away like a scuttling bug. Behind it, or more precisely above it, a man was kneeling. The insignia on his chest was medical.
"Do you know your name?" the man asked.
"Yes. Thor Eccleston."
"Do you know where you are?"
Looking around was painful. Even the dim lights burned the retinas of the eyes. But with some squinting, it came into focus.
"Home. I'm at home. Where is my wife?"
All but pushing the medic out of the way, Marissa rushed in, kneeling down by the couch. She had cried, her eyes showed that. Perhaps not a lot, but she had cried.
"Sweetie, you passed out. You were limp and cold. Did something happen to you?"
There was no feeling of coldness in any limb. Fingers wiggled, arms and legs flexed slowly. Everything seemed to work.
"I feel fine."
The man, the medic, was standing behind her. His eyes had a strong hint of concern in them, not taking the story at face value. In his hand, he held a small light, still on. No doubt that had been the light shining so brightly, moments ago. Frowning ever so slightly, he turned the light off.
"You are exhausted. Your body needs rest. You need at least a day of complete rest," he said, sounding like a father demanding his child stay in bed.
Marissa got up and exchanged a few words with the man, and with another who had apparently arrived with him. She had the body language of someone trying to appear calm, hands trying not to wring or scratch, legs trying not to move impatiently, shifting balance around. She did a marvelous job. It took knowing her for years to notice that she was fighting to not break down crying.
"Am I sick?"
Shaking her head as she closed the door behind the two medics, Marissa came over to the couch. She still wore her casual robe, a dark blue one that had all the signs of advanced age in its knitted fabric. Her hair had been tied up, but it had become a bit unruly with whatever activity she had forced upon it during the ordeal. Avoiding eye contact, she sat down at the opposite end of the couch, taking a few seconds to gather thoughts before speaking.
"I talked to Conrad. When you passed out and became cold, I called him, and he called the medics."
Her voice sounded different, serious without anger, worried but without real fear. It lacked its natural, carefree flow. That one lack seemed almost like an omen, like she was holding back something frightening.
"He said you collapsed and hit your head. So I think that I should be asking you, are you sick?"
It was night. No light came in through windows, and the lights in the apartment were all on. It was not as bright as sunlight, not nearly as bright as the wastelands by day, but it was lit enough to chase sleep away. Whatever had happened, it had lasted at least an hour.
"I feel like someone else."
Marissa's brows frowned. This was not what she had expected to hear.

Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"I feel like I have the wrong body and the wrong memories. I feel like I am not your husband, even though I know I am."
At the last sentence, a tear came to her eye. A different kind of worry seemed to take over, a concern for something other than diseases.
"Did I do something wrong? Am I not a good wife?" she asked, voice waning.
"I love you, I know that."
The words had been the right ones. Of all that could have been said, this was what she needed most to hear. But the air was thick with thoughts and questions, some strange mist that had seemed to come from nothing, and yet now hung over everything like a heavy blanket.
"Then what is it that feels wrong?"
Sitting up on the small couch was more of a challenge than it should be, and only Marissa's supporting hand made it even possible. She whispered half sentences meant to calm and soothe, but she was too worried to be forceful with them. They sounded distant, like words spoken across a chasm.
"Out in the wasteland. I saw something, felt something, something that I still have problems comprehending. I felt like I left my body, briefly, and was put back in, just a tiny bit different."
Her eyes were now nothing but questions, the frown turning from concern to confusion. Her hands were still gentle, caring, every touch a relaxing gesture.
"A man was outside earlier, on my path back home, did I tell you that?"
She shook her head, her focus intense as she waited to hear.
"He was... he looked worn, he looked sick. I called for an ambulance, and they came and took him. But he said things, strange things. He talked about sheep and birds."
"Your sparrow," she said, quickly putting it together.
"Sparrow. Yes, a sparrow. Or... no sparrow. Not a sparrow, those were his exact words."
"What was not a sparrow?" she asked, her emotions finally taking a back seat to logic and reason. The nebulous ailment had become a riddle, instead, and riddles could be solved.
"He never said. But he clearly wanted me to know it."
A faint sound came from the kitchen. Something to drink had been warmed. How she had the time and attention to set that in motion was impossible to tell, she simply had a knack for making sure things happened when they needed to. Without a sign of surprise, she simply stood and walked to get it. Seconds later, she brought in a cup of hot tea, the aroma of it filling the room in an instant. Closer it became clear that she had put honey in it. Two small cups, one for each.
"Was he ill, the man? Did he seem, perhaps, delirious?"
The tea made every last bit of cold that could have remained evaporate. The sweetness of the honey made every muscle relax. Everything felt better, at least for a moment.
"I am fairly sure he was. But there was this... sincerity to him. Whatever it was, he wanted me to listen. He wanted me to understand."
"You listened. That is all you can choose on your own. Understanding requires more than what you control."
"Perhaps. It could be just ramblings, the words of a feeble mind screaming for attention as reason slips away. I see that, sometimes, in the ones we try to save."
For seven years, Marissa had been married to a medic, a recue worker, and she had never shown disdain for the job. She had listened to horrid stories of the injuried, the sick, and the dying, and she had never complained about it. Her work was in a calmer environment, looking for little ways to improve the logistics of things moving through the city, helping people make their respective work a little easier. She saw numbers and the names of places all day, moving the numbers between the names of people and places and trying to find ways to move more by doing less. Efficiency, order, systems. All things that either worked or did not work. They did not decay. They did not get sick, they felt no pain, no fear, they never cried or screamed in fits of anger. People did. People caught on bad days, in bad situations. That was a different job. She knew it, and she respected that. But she was protective, protective of her home and her family. And on this evening, that job had threatened to cross the line, threatened to not be a job, threatened to drag someone she loved into the darkness. It was painted like broad strokes on a canvas in every fold in her face, with every shift of her eyes. She was not just listening to stories, not this time. She was looking for monsters, for anything that could leap from the experiences of rescue work and force her to become the rescuer.
"You should sleep," she said, covering all the tension and fear up behind kind eyes. "they were right, you need rest. You have experienced too much, too quickly."
Wise words from a good heart. She was right. Everything had been too much. The tea was nearly gone, only a small puddle left on the bottom of the cup. She took the cups and brought them back into the small kitchen, letting little machines do the rest. It was time to sleep, time to let body and mind shed the burdens placed on them by the day.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You have a talent with prose. This part is a good example, "Even while walking in, it felt like being dragged, as if she carried all the weight of two on her thin shoulders. Shoes came off with a scraping sound that seemed unusually loud, and everything else stayed on. Once the couch was near enough, it felt like all strength just faded. It was a short and soft fall into the old pillows, but it felt like tumbling off a cliff."

Maybe it should be "felt like all his strength just faded" but otherwise that is great, very evocative and easy to picture.

Reactions: Harry Larry
Upvote 0

Harry Larry

And not one sparrow...
Feb 10, 2024
Copenhagen
✟2,344.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have a talent with prose.
Thank you. I tried doing it in a more Biblical language, but it felt very... opulent. Self-aggrandizing, even. So I tried to read some older stories I found online and mix the ways together. And a good friend does creative writing courses, that may have "helped" a little. :innocent:

I hope to have more up soon!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you. I tried doing it in a more Biblical language, but it felt very... opulent. Self-aggrandizing, even. So I tried to read some older stories I found online and mix the ways together. And a good friend does creative writing courses, that may have "helped" a little. :innocent:

I hope to have more up soon!

Very good. You inspire me to share some of my work.

Upvote 0