Fire away.

May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bring it on. I will answer any question on any topic as honestly as I can. And I mean anything.
why do atheist hang out in Christian forum websites, I myself find this a very strange phenominon, think about it.....If I had absolutely no belief there was a God, that He was at best a fictional character made up, why on earth would I waste my time on a website trying to convince people something I don't believe in doesn't even exist.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
why do atheist hang out in Christian forum websites, I myself find this a very strange phenominon, think about it.....If I had absolutely no belief there was a God, that He was at best a fictional character made up, why on earth would I waste my time on a website trying to convince people something I don't believe in doesn't even exist.

I originally came here for discussions on Creation v. evolution (a favourite topic of mine). That was the initial impetus. It was also partly at the behest of my wife, who suggested that if I was going to be an atheist and speak out against religious beliefs, I should get some experience with those beliefs. Since Christianity is the primary religion here in North America, I chose this forum. I've stuck around because I find many interesting discussions and debates, and I like the moderation (in general) that keeps this place from spiraling into chaos.

I've learned a great deal, from both my fellow atheists and from Christians.

And to be clear, I am not at all here to waste my time trying to convince people of anything. That would indeed be a waste of my time. I may try to persuade people to see things differently, to explore different ideas, but I am not trying to convert anyone to atheism or anything. That would be futile in most cases. I'm more here to learn than to teach.

Basically, I find it invigorating to have my positions challenged. I could very well hang out on evolution or atheist forums (which I do, albeit infrequently), but there's no challenge in that, no opposition. I find it useful to have to defend my views, as it does make me rethink them and it keeps me from getting stuck in a rut. It's intellectually stimulating.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
what does your username mean?

Well, there's a story (sort of) behind it. I've been using it for over ten years now as a username at pretty much any forum I go to.

It's composed of two parts. The 'ska' part is for the type of music (if you're not familiar, see here: Ska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) When I went away to university in the big city of Montreal, I was introduced to it and I got into the local scene. It was a big part of my development in my late teens/early 20s. So that's that part.

The 'loop' part comes from around the same time. I've never been big into drugs, but back then I did experiment with them a little bit. One time, I tried magic mushrooms and during the entire experience I felt a sense of deja vu, like I was re-living the same thing over and over again. Like I was in a loop. It was one of only a few drug situations I've been in, and at the time it was a new and interesting state of mind. It made an impression on me.

So I stuck the 'ska' and the 'loop' together, and now here I am, li'l ol' Skaloop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
What is your best and Worst Moral Quality?

Have you ever been inside a Jail or Prison?

Have you ever done a religious Fast

Worst moral quality is probably that I'm fairly secretive, which leads to lies of omission.

Best moral quality is that I am dependable and reliable.

I don't recall ever being inside an active jail or prison. I've been inside old ones as part of tours, like Alcatraz Island and that sort of thing.

I have never done any sort of fast.

Upvote 0