Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Actually it has to do with something else totally...

Matt 5:39
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

It has to do with righteousness. In other words, if someone strikes your righteousness, show him your unrighteousness and let him strike that as well.

Actually strike wouldn't be a good word, but I can't think of another one...

To hit someone on the right cheek would imply using your left hand. Only a very small percentage is left handed, even smaller back then. Jesus would know this. If He was talking about an actual smack on the cheek, He probably would have said left cheek..

I don't see how you came to that conclusion, but it isn't something I'm going to spend time arguing about.

The bottom line is that those who abuse this verse to condemn self-defense don't know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey all, just wondering how you feel about fighting back when someone smacks you around. I work in a very violent environment, and I am wondering about self defense especially.

Thanks! :)
Some Ideas

Get out of boxing, a fella could get hurt.

Evaluate what those who dont get pushed arround do. Make an official statement..... Change your habbits.
Pray and look for for God to change you.

We cant change bullys but when we Christians are at the end of our ropes, we turn to God, and listen desperately for directions.

Peace, God bless

CRIB

Upvote 0

127Rockledge

Greetings B2H,

Pseud gave a wonderful reply, but you state that you work in a violent environment. I don't understand that, but if you were a cop, I would recommend following procedure. If you were in Iraq, shoot first and ask questions later.

Now if you do not work for the state or government, why put yourself in such an environment? We are to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves. We are not to associate with the corrupt of this world, or put ourselves in such a position that we might regret later.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

I'm sure I'll be posting many times in this thread, but here's the first.

I am a contracted force protection professional, I have worked for the govt. in the past, which allows me to pursue this profession now. I DO NOT WORK FOR THE GOVT. ANY LONGER. -

To answer the question in bold - I put myself in very dangerous enviroments because it's what God has led me to do. I am good at my job. I have never been a computer expert or had any interest in medicine, but funny enough, I love to fight and shoot (notice I did not say kill - to which I am honestly impartial though I have great respect for all combatives), and I'm good at both. Is this wrong of me? Am I pursuing some unholy goal? I don't think so and there is nothing biblically which leads me to believe otherwise. God used combatives before, I believe he uses me now.

Also, turning the cheek is not applied correctly, if it has not been detailed already I will post a proper description.

Upvote 0

127Rockledge

Turning the other cheek put into context -

A post eariler described "turning the cheek" fairly well.

Put into periodical context: To strike someone with the back of your hand implied somebody is of a lesser value than yourself. With the palm it implied the person was of equal or greater value than yourself. It was also considered socially unacceptable for a man to use his left hand in public.

So, if I were facing you, and you facing me, and I struck you with the back of my right hand, I would strike you on your right cheek. Implying with the strike that I am of a higher social value than you.

If I were to strike you again, but you turned your head to the right, and only presented your left cheek, I would be forced to strike you with my palm (as it is not acceptable to use my left hand) - implying that you are now of equal social value to myself - which would not be done.

So I would end up chasing you around like a fool to strike you again, or give up.

This message of turning the other cheek is about gaining a tactical advantage, forcing your "opponent" to withdraw without use of force. It absolutely does not however imply that one must endure abuse.

Upvote 0

127Rockledge

Also I have to ask, do you believe combative sports such as boxing, wrestling, fencing, etc. are unGodly?

The current welterweight champion of the UFC is Matt Hughes - a proclaimed devout Christian. His site: http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog.html

Notice the scriptures all over his site.

I would argue that soldiers/LEO's and other govt. combatives do kill, and thus by saying God granting them the ability to do so without sin makes him a social progressive, but I believe they are covered by Matt. 5:9 " Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see how you came to that conclusion, but it isn't something I'm going to spend time arguing about.

The bottom line is that those who abuse this verse to condemn self-defense don't know what they're talking about.

Elder Cleopa of Romania, I believe..:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

127Rockledge

Boxing - the only "sport" whose goal is to cause brain damage.

Wrong.

The goal of boxing is to defeat the opponent by either knockout (A ruling where the referee stops the bout and declares a boxer the winner if his opponent has been down for the count of 10 ), technical knockout (a knockout declared by the referee who judges one boxer unable to continue ), or by points assessed for effective attack/counters, and overall control of the fight.

Boxing is strategy, planning, and coordination of efforts.

Should you go in guns blazing hoping for a knockout, and use energy you might need in later rounds? Should you dance and counter and attack only with "safe strikes" and try to wear your opponent down keeping energy high? Are you properly conditioned? Can you deliver effective strikes? Can you take strikes?

Boxing is much more than just two guys in a ring beating eachother.

I say this as a mma fighter who trains very hard.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Boxing and self defense are 2 different things. Boxing is a sport, real life isn't. Usually after a boxing match, the 2 contenders shake hands. Where as in the real world, this doen't happen. Unless of course it's 2 friends fighting over something stupid.

In the real world nowadays, you'll be lucky to leave with your life, much less a hand shake..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
Hey all, just wondering how you feel about fighting back when someone smacks you around. I work in a very violent environment, and I am wondering about self defense especially.

Thanks! :)

Thats hard to say, there have been wars in the bible to protect the nature of Christianity or the belief in God.

Look at David, he defended a belief in God through war all the time, I'm sure under his leadership thousands of people died.

Look how Jesus got upset over the Church being defiled.

Personal defense could be viewed the same way, if your faith is in question because of the violence around you or what is happening to you then you might have the right to fight back.
I wouldn't put my faith on the line just so I could fight back either.

You need to examine what is going on, lowered self esteem could make your stance as a Christian falter.
Many factors like self esteem can play a role in how you grow as a Christian and that is an important issue to God.
Will fighting back make you a better Christian and bring you closer to God?

I haven't read the whole thread yet but I would guess you have heard it more then once, I'll say it anyway.

Pray on it. Ask Jesus for it to stop or a way to help you make it stop. I am sure one way or the other Jesus will give you the answer.

I hope I didn't ramble on to much and I hope you find the answer you need to get you through this hardship.

I'll pray for you.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.