Pseud

Jesus Geek
Sep 15, 2003
US
Visit site
✟16,195.00
Faith
Christian
A few years back I was a victim of assault. I was living with a girl at the time. I believed but wasn't a christian. Our room-mate and his friend burst into our room drunk and on drugs, at 1am and yelled alot, then proceeded to give me a very severe beating. I wont give details, but it all lasted about 20 minutes. All throughout it I considered hitting back, maybe grabbing something and using it as a weapon (strangely, i had crystal clear thinking whilst this was going on), each time I saw something that I could use, I reasoned that short of killing them, anything I did wasn't going to stop them, and would just make things worse. So i took it without fighting back. I honestly think that God was with me that day and honestly, if I'd done anything different, I doubt I would have got out alive. They were already threatening to kill us.

So my point is, we're guided not to fight back, and to turn the other cheek when it comes to something like this, because I feel it's the best thing to do. And I think the example I give is just one of many examples where not fighting back would be the best option.

Matthew 5:39 NIV

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
Sometimes you have to fight back. Self-defense is offense, after all.

As far as 'being in a very violent environment', I assume you would be constantly aware of your surroundings. I am really hesitant to say this--but fight so far as you have to.

As a general idea though. Don't.

:prayer:

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
bound2him said:
Hey all, just wondering how you feel about fighting back when someone smacks you around. I work in a very violent environment, and I am wondering about self defense especially.
Greetings B2H,

Pseud gave a wonderful reply, but you state that you work in a violent environment. I don't understand that, but if you were a cop, I would recommend following procedure. If you were in Iraq, shoot first and ask questions later.

Now if you do not work for the state or government, why put yourself in such an environment? We are to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves. We are not to associate with the corrupt of this world, or put ourselves in such a position that we might regret later.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
This is a tough question. This is where our Christianity meets the road. We are not to fight back, but I know it is hard. We must however do what Christ told us to do. The only way of course is let him help us take a beating. Not an easy or a natural thing to do, but we have a supernatural component that makes all things endurable and do-able in Christ.

Upvote 0

HoT-MetaL

Yahweh Warrior
Nov 29, 2003
Kent
Visit site
✟18,614.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Conservative
Heartman is right... this is extremly tough. So often I think to myself "What If..." In Run Baby Run [Nicky Cruz], Nicky beats up evangelist David Wilkerson. All David does is say "Jesus loves you Nicky, and I love you like a brother." If you dont know about Nicky Cruz, he was the most feared man in Brooklyn at one time, and headed up a feared gang - The Mau Mau's... Now he is on fire for God with an awesome ministry, ministering to those who led his lifestyle of murder, violence, sex and drugs.

To sit back and take a beating is a difficult thing to do, but I believe it is what Jesus would do. I dont think you should be totally passive about things either, if youre gonna get hit in the face, move or block it. Being a physically intimidating guy I guess I have to wonder whether I could do the same thing. A few years back a guy kept digging at me, digging at me, digging at me, until one day he went to far, and I just beat him to the ground with my fists... Afterwards I felt like an animal, I was so convicted, and so I had to repent.

Its a difficult one, but like I said, I think you should only block punches and kicks, and defend yourself without harming the other... however hard it may be.

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
hotmetal said:
Heartman is right... this is extremly tough. So often I think to myself "What If..." In Run Baby Run [Nicky Cruz], Nicky beats up evangelist David Wilkerson. All David does is say "Jesus loves you Nicky, and I love you like a brother." If you dont know about Nicky Cruz, he was the most feared man in Brooklyn at one time, and headed up a feared gang - The Mau Mau's... Now he is on fire for God with an awesome ministry, ministering to those who led his lifestyle of murder, violence, sex and drugs.

To sit back and take a beating is a difficult thing to do, but I believe it is what Jesus would do. I dont think you should be totally passive about things either, if youre gonna get hit in the face, move or block it. Being a physically intimidating guy I guess I have to wonder whether I could do the same thing. A few years back a guy kept digging at me, digging at me, digging at me, until one day he went to far, and I just beat him to the ground with my fists... Afterwards I felt like an animal, I was so convicted, and so I had to repent.

Its a difficult one, but like I said, I think you should only block punches and kicks, and defend yourself without harming the other... however hard it may be.

Hotmetal,

You are right, I can see Jesus ducking, but I can not imagine Him punching back!

Heartman

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't think we have a clear picture of what Jesus would or wouldn't do. I think he had it in him to volatile. Just look at his behavior cleansing the temple. The passage many quote is Matt. 5:38-39 about being struck and turning the other cheek. And then there's "pray for those who persecute you" from 5:44, but these aren't talking about the same thing we're talking about. The 1st instance is talking about being insulted (slap on the face is a huge insult to honor, manhood, etc.) and not striking back. The 2nd is talking about persecution, presumably from an authority like Rome did to the Jews. He's not talking about not defending yourself. If someone attacked my wife and me I would beat his butt without worrying about not being a good Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bound2him

Gott Segnen Sie
Jan 15, 2004
at my place
✟332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
yeah i guess i should have clarified... i work in a homeless shelter, i feel very strong that this is what i am called to do... i love helping to feed the hungry and all that... however for every person that genuinly needs the place there are 3 that are strung out and ready to lash out... its a lot safer then the one i worked in before, but sometimes i just wonder if i should be taking self defense or something

Upvote 0

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I agree with many of you here.

As far as I'm concerned - if someone comes at me swinging - I will defend myself & my family. I will DEFEND myself - not destroy the other person. I had a guy try to attack me & my wife while we were out one evening. He took a swing at me - I ducked - punched him in the stomach, and chin - took him to the ground & put my knee in his back until the police arrived. What if I had just "taken the beating"? What would've happened to my wife?

I think there are times when you must defend yourself. Why does being a Christian = being weak & meak? You honestly think God wants you to "take a beating"? I don't. I don't think God wants you to deliver a beating either. I would never beat someone up. Only use enough force to defuse the situation.

That's my .02

:cool:

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So my point is, we're guided not to fight back, and to turn the other cheek when it comes to something like this, because I feel it's the best thing to do. And I think the example I give is just one of many examples where not fighting back would be the best option.

Matthew 5:39 NIV

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Actually, this verse is telling us not to seek revenge. It has nothing to do with self defense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey all, just wondering how you feel about fighting back when someone smacks you around. I work in a very violent environment, and I am wondering about self defense especially.

Thanks! :)

There is nothing in scripture to suggest that we shouldn't defend ourselves.

In fact, when Jesus sent His disciples out on their missionary journeys, one of the very first things He did was tell them to go out and buy swords to protect themselves with.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually, this verse is telling us not to seek revenge. It has nothing to do with self defense.

Actually it has to do with something else totally...

Matt 5:39
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

It has to do with righteousness. In other words, if someone strikes your righteousness, show him your unrighteousness and let him strike that as well.

Actually strike wouldn't be a good word, but I can't think of another one...

To hit someone on the right cheek would imply using your left hand. Only a very small percentage is left handed, even smaller back then. Jesus would know this. If He was talking about an actual smack on the cheek, He probably would have said left cheek..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.