✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Records are set, ferry gets stuck in sea ice off Nova Scotia

"While the all-time snowfall record in Boston may have received most of the media attention in the U.S., Canada has had its fair share of unusually severe winter weather this season as well.
Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland have been slammed by back-to-back-to-back-to-back (you get the point) severe winter storms, producing a broad area of sea ice cover and mountainous snowbanks along the streets of cities such as Charlottetown and Saint John."

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stuff getting stuck because of the cold in Canada isn't really news. Must be a slow news day.

A review is in order:

"Canada has had its fair share of unusually severe winter weather this season as well.

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland have been slammed by back-to-back-to-back-to-back (you get the point) severe winter storms.."

That's news

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
A review is in order:

"Canada has had its fair share of unusually severe winter weather this season as well.

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland have been slammed by back-to-back-to-back-to-back (you get the point) severe winter storms.."

That's news

Once again. not really news. It would be news if Canada was having a tropical rainy season in winter. Canada always has severe winters. One year that is worse than others isn't news.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once again. not really news. It would be news if Canada was having a tropical rainy season in winter. Canada always has severe winters. One year that is worse than others isn't news.
Interesting. Journalists appear to believe it is news.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

On the west coast, we had maybe three snowfalls this year. None that actually led to any real accumulation. The local ski hills were barely able to accommodate skiers. So no, Canada does not always have severe winters. We also had more rain than usual out here.

Also, my in-laws live in Nova Scotia. It has been a more severe winter for them than usual. On the other hand, relatives in the prairies say that overall it hasn't been as cold as usual.

Funny (kinda) story, the other week my wife and I went for a run (in BC). It was a lovely day, we just went out in shorts and t-shirts. Afterwards, we talked to her mum (in Nova Scotia) and told her that we had been for a run. She mentioned that they had just been out snowshoeing. So we were out in summer clothes while they were still in snow deep enough to need snowshoes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
On the west coast, we had maybe three snowfalls this year. None that actually led to any real accumulation. The local ski hills were barely able to accommodate skiers. So no, Canada does not always have severe winters. We also had more rain than usual out here.

Also, my in-laws live in Nova Scotia. It has been a more severe winter for them than usual. On the other hand, relatives in the prairies say that overall it hasn't been as cold as usual.

Funny (kinda) story, the other week my wife and I went for a run (in BC). It was a lovely day, we just went out in shorts and t-shirts. Afterwards, we talked to her mum (in Nova Scotia) and told her that we had been for a run. She mentioned that they had just been out snowshoeing. So we were out in summer clothes while they were still in snow deep enough to need snowshoes.

All of the farmers in eastern Washington are worried about the lack of snow pack. Expect fruit prices to go up a lot this summer.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
All of the farmers in eastern Washington are worried about the lack of snow pack. Expect fruit prices to go up a lot this summer.

I work in a business that, to not be too specific, relies heavily on snow pack and things are not looking all that great this year.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nothing to fear, just the sun is sleeping.

BBC News - Has the Sun gone to sleep?

Scientists are saying that the Sun is in a phase of "solar lull" - meaning that it has fallen asleep - and it is baffling them.
History suggests that periods of unusual "solar lull" coincide with bitterly cold winters.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
So what exactly was your intent in starting this thread about a ferry getting stuck in sea ice? I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the fact that a ferry got stuck in sea ice.

Also, and this is just for information and because I think it is awesome, but in your link it has a picture that mentions the Louis St. Laurent icebreaker. Yeah, my father-in-law designed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very well. So what exactly was your intent in starting this thread about a ferry getting stuck in sea ice? I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the fact that a ferry got stuck in sea ice.

Also, and this is just for information and because I think it is awesome, but in your link it has a picture that mentions the Louis St. Laurent icebreaker. Yeah, my father-in-law designed that.
It's a news story, a current event

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
It's a news story, a current event

Yeah, it is, but it's not some major news story. So why did you really make a thread about it?

And again, seriously, my father-in-law designed that whole dang icebreaker! How cool is that? Like, the shape and structure of the hull in order to break through the ice, that was all him!

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it is, but it's not some major news story. So why did you really make a thread about it?

And again, seriously, my father-in-law designed that whole dang icebreaker! How cool is that? Like, the shape and structure of the hull in order to break through the ice, that was all him!
This forum is titled News & Current Events, not Major News Stories

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I will get the link when I have more energy..

But right now I am going to take a little nap.. *lies down and gently puts his head on his pillow then yawns.. then lets out a little comforted smile..*

zzz..

zz..

Upvote 0