Feminism is not compatible with Christianity?

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not so sure. If you are able to share your more tender and vulnerable side with your wife, you're okay. I was referring to manipulative crying more than anything. I can't stand a bunch of whiny women (IME, more women than men) who tantrum just to get their own way.

I'm also wondering about how emotional intelligence played out when women were seen as less than human, the dainty fainter or crazed hormonal ogre history books paint them as. Why were women perceived as dainty, unable to defend themselves, unable to have strong and intelligent discussions with men about politics and business? Why do we see pictures of them in long dresses drinking tea under lacy umbrellas in their flowery gardens? Why did they become so oppressed to begin with? How did that happen? Were they really so emotionally unintelligent that they were perceived as blubbering babies by mainstream society (even themselves)?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People do cry to be manipulative. Under certain circumstances I pause a little to make sure it is genuine.

When you brought up from cradle to grave being taught that you can't take care of yourself? That you must rely on the protection of a male within your family circle? It happens.

I think the same thing when I view the 'honor' concept you read about in the middle east. How can they even think that is logical? Yet, they have been teaching people to believe this forever. They don't know any different.

If you move on to cults? Same principal. Those people get brainwashed into thinking things.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

blessedwife318

Sep 30, 2015
✟15,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Feminism is not compatible with Christianity at all. Why?

1.Men are not the problem
2. Masculine men are not the problem
3. Effeminization of men will not make the world a better place
4. The real problem is sin
5. Killing unborn children is not good
6. Virginity being sacred is not "imprisoning" women
7. Traditional Marriage does not "shackle" women
8. Sexual promiscuity is wrong
9. Men and women are in fact different
10. God did set different roles for men and women
11. Feminism promotes androgyny
12. Feminism glorifies the self,promotes narcissism, and "seeking the goddess within" self-idolatry

by the way for those of you saying there are many different types of definitions of feminism--Wrong.
there are many feminists getting their card revoked for not supporting convenience abortion or transgenderism for example.

Mainstream Feminist activists have made it clear--there are real and fake feminists. and if you do not agree with the basic tenants of the movement, then you are not a feminist.

And feminism since the beginning, has clashed deliberately with Christian values.

You folks seriously need to research on this demonic movement.
Good post. I agree 100%

Reactions: AntoineL
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah.....I see that as a man with integrity :) (you just described my dear dad). But see? That also is a woman with integrity....correct? And doesn't the Bible have the same characteristics for men and women alike to strive for? That's basically what J. Ehrman said in that video....that at the end of our lives (men and women) are 'measured' by the same standard.

Yes, but one is fueled by estrogen and the other, testosterone.

Maybe our hormones play a part in our desire to have opposite gender relationships....but I'm of the belief that it's our heart and mind and our commitment to loving well that plays a part in the rest.

I may be feminist, but I do believe in the differences between men and women as a result of hormones and other physical development.

I wanted to address this.

VG had given a list of character traits that I believe describe a person of relational integrity. This (IMO) is a HUGE part of why I'll take on the label of "feminist". I'm referring specifically to integrity (I didn't go back to get the specific traits referred to---but basically they were being a great friend/spouse). I don't believe that's hormones that drive that---that's character.

Physical development is something all together different and not what I'm referring to at all.

The Bible gives us a similar list as well (and it doesn't have separate descriptions for men and women):

Bible said:
Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. For the Scriptures say,

“If you want to enjoy life

and see many happy days,

keep your tongue from speaking evil

and your lips from telling lies

Turn away from evil and do good.

Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right,

and his ears are open to their prayers.

But the Lord turns his face

against those who do evil.
~1st Peter 3:8-13

That's what I'm referring to: integrity of our character. That comes from *practicing* and "feeding" what's right and having a disdain for what's wrong.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The definition of 'feminism' being used in this thread is "equal treatment of the genders (and equal opportunities) instead of opportunities being gender-based". Where do you see "men are the problem" there?
Ditto
Since we need a frame of reference for discussions here, maybe you could define what you mean by "effeminization of men". You mean like running the vacuum?
Sin in what context? You're losing me.
It's been discussed in this thread that feminism and abortion are separate issues. The abortion question is not being discussed here. You can start a separate thread if you care to. Besides, one does not have to be 'feminist' to be pro-choice. (*disclaimer: I am pro-life, but merely giving a sociology lesson)
Of course not. Mary didn't seem to be "imprisoned". And one could make the point that she seemed rather 'feminist' herself.
"Traditional" needs context. There are many threads here that address it, or start one of your own. It's off-topic to this one.
Find me where it says all feminists believe it's right. Besides, you will find many Christians who believe sex before marriage is fine. Does that make them feminists? No.
Define "different". Again - context. We need to know what you're talking about, and how it relates to feminism.
See above.
Why would a feminist want to lose her identity and become androgynous? Isn't that the antithesis of what the movement has worked for?
12. Feminism glorifies the self,promotes narcissism, and "seeking the goddess within" self-idolatry
You said it was about sin. SIN glorifies the self, promotes narcissism, and "seeking the god within" self-idolatry. If you have passed the test, good for you; but you may want to check Galatians 5:19-21 just to be sure, then let me know.

by the way for those of you saying there are many different types of definitions of feminism--Wrong.
Types? Perhaps not, but movements within feminism? That would be closer to the point. Btw, have you even read the thread, or are you just piping in now? ALL of this has been addressed.

there are many feminists getting their card revoked for not supporting convenience abortion or transgenderism for example.
There's a "card"? You make me laugh. ^_^

Mainstream Feminist activists have made it clear--there are real and fake feminists. and if you do not agree with the basic tenants of the movement, then you are not a feminist.
"Mainstream Feminist activists"? You've spoken to them? You seem to have direct knowledge. Sooooooo, enlighten us. (And the word is 'tenets')

And feminism since the beginning, has clashed deliberately with Christian values.

Yes, yes, mhmm. Smattering of applause...

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

There are a LOT of misconceptions here.

1. "Men" aren't being blamed---an imbalanced system (patriarchy) is being blamed where one group is given more privilege than another. I see *that* as incompatible with Christ's teaching.

2. See number one. That's not a problem, unless by "masculine" you mean *only* men that fit a specific stereotype are worthy of being called "men".

3. Not sure what you mean by "effeminized men". If you mean stripping away their entitlement and pride in order for there to be a more even ground? I don't see how that's a problem. I read Scripture through that lens of equality. However......if you're speaking of allowing some men to be themselves and not feel put down and ridiculed for not being interested in sports, and maybe even pursue a career like (gasp) clothing design or hair/makeup styling? How is that "wrong" or "demonic"? Does the flip-side of that work in your mind? Is it equally as "demonic" for females like my daughter and RPD to enjoy tearing apart cars and getting their hands greasy? What we *do* or what we're interested in doesn't make us a certain gender. Look at all the variety in God's creation. Do you really believe He only had two human prototypes in mind?

4. Kinda vague...but I won't disagree that *all* issues go back to "sin"---we just may have a different opinion as to what defines that word.

6. That's fine---as long as the same goes for males as well. No one should feel shamed about something they cannot change (condemnation is from our enemy).

7. Depending on what you're calling "traditional marriage".....it can, indeed, "shackle" women (when women don't have a voice or any agency in a marriage---they are being held back--so is the husband. Remember, "it's not good for man to be alone. A man would be alone in that situation). That's also a topic that's against forum rules, so that's about all I can comment on that.

8. Agree.

9. Of course.

10. Where are these "roles" mentioned in the Bible. In Genesis 1 there are no separate roles there ("God blesses THEM and said to THEM....."). After that....all we have is a world mixed with sin.

11. How so? Feminism allows people to break free from external pressures to be something they aren't. A lot of churches these days are more like clubs (where men dress and behave a specific way---and women likewise. There are two versions--male and female). When I read that (feminism promotes androgyny) I imagine a world where everyone looks the same. That's exactly the opposite of what feminism does---it allows everyone to be their own unique self (which is going to manifest in variety---not androgyny). We need to look at people as more than just their exterior (isn't that what we read in the Bible? That God looks at the heart---not just the external?).

12. I have no idea where you get that from. Patriarchy can be accused of the same--as men are often placed on pedestals and glorified (idolatry) as inerrant.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since we need a frame of reference for discussions here, maybe you could define what you mean by "effeminization of men". You mean like running the vacuum?

I just have to say, this caught me off guard and I actually laughed out loud (and surprised my dog out of his peaceful nap).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
there are many feminists getting their card revoked ...

Daesh (the terrorist group) also makes the claim that Muslims that don't have their distorted and twisted belief system aren't "true Muslims". Like I said before.....there are always counterfeits (and often those counterfeits act with control and manipulation). The variety of "feminism" we've framed this conversation with is *without* a power imbalance--so fear and guilt and manipulation have NO place (you know.....kind of like the "perfect love" the Bible text refers to).

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks for proving further more why im not a feminist. Feel free to cling to a world conforming demonic ideology.

Feminism offers a counterfeit solution. By the way, patriarchy is not the problem
Get married, then tell me something :doh:

Upvote 0

AntoineL

Sep 7, 2015
✟16,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The definition of 'feminism' being used in this thread is "equal treatment of the genders (and equal opportunities) instead of opportunities being gender-based". Where do you see "men are the problem" there?

Ditto

Sin in what context? You're losing me.

It's been discussed in this thread that feminism and abortion are separate issues. The abortion question is not being discussed here. You can start a separate thread if you care to. Besides, one does not have to be 'feminist' to be pro-choice. (*disclaimer: I am pro-life, but merely giving a sociology lesson)

Of course not. Mary didn't seem to be "imprisoned". And one could make the point that she seemed rather 'feminist' herself.

"Traditional" needs context. There are many threads here that address it, or start one of your own. It's off-topic to this one.

Find me where it says all feminists believe it's right. Besides, you will find many Christians who believe sex before marriage is fine. Does that make them feminists? No.

Define "different". Again - context. We need to know what you're talking about, and how it relates to feminism.

See above.

Why would a feminist want to lose her identity and become androgynous? Isn't that the antithesis of what the movement has worked for?

You said it was about sin. SIN glorifies the self, promotes narcissism, and "seeking the god within" self-idolatry. If you have passed the test, good for you; but you may want to check Galatians 5:19-21 just to be sure, then let me know.

Types? Perhaps not, but movements within feminism? That would be closer to the point. Btw, have you even read the thread, or are you just piping in now? ALL of this has been addressed.

There's a "card"? You make me laugh. ^_^

"Mainstream Feminist activists"? You've spoken to them? You seem to have direct knowledge. Sooooooo, enlighten us. (And the word is 'tenets')

Yes, yes, mhmm. Smattering of applause...

Thanks for also proving my point of why im not a feminist. YES MEN AND WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT.

Feel free to think there aren't any basic tenants of feminism--There is .

and many many many conservative women are kicked out of the club of feminism

Carry on with the deception that feminism is giving women.

I'm a woman of God, not feminism and I don't cling to narcissistic man hating filth

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for proving further more why im not a feminist. Feel free to cling to a world conforming demonic ideology.

Feminism offers a counterfeit solution. By the way, patriarchy is not the problem

Riiiiiiiight.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks for also proving my point of why im not a feminist. YES MEN AND WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT.

Feel free to think there aren't any basic tenants of feminism--There is .

and many many many conservative women are kicked out of the club of feminism

Carry on with the deception that feminism is giving women.

I'm a woman of God, not feminism and I don't cling to narcissistic man hating filth
Maybe you didn't hear me the first time. I'll shout so you can.
THE WORD IS "TENETS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Well said.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Feminists becoming masculine? Are you off your meds?

That would be a great trick for me...something about "huge tracts of land" in front of me...

Reactions: ImaginaryDay
Upvote 0