Feminism is not compatible with Christianity?

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My question would be - what is the definition of feminism used in the thread? "Feminism" has a wide range of definitions today. The compatibility with Christianity depends on which version you are referencing. :)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I made this post in the thread the OP was quoted from, but I'm removing it from there and putting it here.

"How many of you men out there enjoy seeing your wife in a nice pair if jeans or slacks? How many of you have wives with a cute short haircut? How many of you have wives who work outside the home? How many of you have wives who vote and support her right to vote? How many of you have wives who drive their own car? How many of your wives pay the family bills? How many of you enjoy taking your wife to a ball game or some other traditionally "male" activity?

Do you really and honestly want a wife who is dainty, wears a dress, bakes and cooks from scratch, does nothing but cook and clean and raise babies, never participates in your hobbies, can't drive a car or own her own property or have the right to vote or express her opinion? Do you really want a wife who will just always give in to your command at all times?

I don't know of any men like that. Not even one. The men I know like a woman who participates in his life with him, looks good in jeans, can shout "Go, Lions!" at a game just as loud as he does, is intelligent enough to carry on a meaningful conversation about politics and religion, work on the farm just as hard as he does, drive her own car and be independent enough to think for herself. That's feminism."

I might add: How many of you husbands out there want a wife who is more than a housekeeper, arm candy and sex slave? And is this what you want for your daughters?

I might also add that there is nothing about [feminist] equality that is contrary to scripture.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Feminism covers a wide range of beliefs...from the "she-woman man haters" club to those who believe women should have an education, the ability to support themselves (and their children) and other positions that are just as moderate. So, what kind of feminism are we discussing?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This has been mentioned quite a bit recently and I'd love to discuss.

Thoughts?

The version of feminism that promotes abortion and homosexuality is not compatible with Christianity.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The version of feminism that promotes abortion and homosexuality is not compatible with Christianity.
This type of feminism allows for non-Christians to make choices according to their own values. There is nothing unChristian about that. What makes it unChristian is when a Christian woman makes those choices. And even then, they are not the unforgivable sins.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This type of feminism allows for non-Christians to make choices according to their own values. There is nothing unChristian about that. What makes it unChristian is when a Christian woman makes those choices. And even then, they are not the unforgivable sins.

Should Christians allow non Christians to molest children?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, but that is a secular value and against the law. There is still the law of the land, which is what we are supposed to obey - even non-Christians.

So, we shouldn't allow others to molest children but we should allow them to decapitate unborn babies in the womb?

I don't think that is logical.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, but that is a secular value and against the law. There is still the law of the land, which is what we are supposed to obey - even non-Christians.
We are supposed to obey the law of the land unless it is against the commands of God (an example: see Acts 5)

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is why I said it is unChristian for a Christian to do those things; it is NOT sin for those who are living according to the law of the land, who choose to make those choices. That is something they will come to terms with IF they become a believer. It is not up to us to force our beliefs and values onto a secular world. It is up to us to share the love of Christ and let the Spirit work on their hearts.

Again, abortion and homosexuality is unChristian only if practiced by someone who is a Christian. For those who are unChristian, these actions are legal and in line with their unChristian lifestyle/law.

Besides, that's not all feminism is about. We have the right to wear pants, cut our hair short, have jobs outside the home, drive a car, attend university, speak to men and live and work alongside them, own property, manage finances, and do all those things that were traditionally the "man's" job. Women are even allowed to mow lawns now, fix cars, become plumbers. Oh, my - we can even wear those hipster jeans that show off not only the top of the thong, but also our butt crack when we bend over to do that plumbing! How far we've come!

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Again, abortion and homosexuality is unChristian only if practiced by someone who is a Christian. For those who are unChristian, these actions are legal and in line with their unChristian lifestyle/law.

Abortion is murder. If you are helping someone to murder or abort innocent children then you share the blame.

If you support pro abortion candidates then you are helping kill more babies.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am not pro-abortion. I simply believe they are living according to their own values and laws. By me telling someone they are not allowed to do it because it's against God, it's the same as a Muslim telling me that I'm not allowed to be seen in public without a hijab. I do not want them telling me that, so I am not going to force my own Christian values onto those who do not choose a Christian lifestyle.

I believe in harm reduction because it has been shown by research to be effective. Harm reduction says that women are going to get abortions whether it's legal or not. I would rather see them do it in a sterile environment than the back alley with a rusty bent hanger.

That has nothing to do with how I vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The reason I support pro-life candidates is due to the fact that abortion is harming those who can't protect themselves. The example of a hijab is not the same, in that it is not causing harm to the helpless.

I agree that I don't want religious beliefs forced on me, and I don't force my Christian beliefs on everyone (such as prohibiting premarital sex) but the line for me is drawn when it is affecting those who cannot protect themselves.

Consider the responsibility in the early church towards the widows and the elderly. This would follow the same concept of helping and protecting those who can't help / protect themselves

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abortion is murder. If you are helping someone to murder or abort innocent children then you share the blame.

If you support pro abortion candidates then you are helping kill more babies.

Okay. There are many feminist that feel the same way you do.

There are too many flavors to the word, and it means different things to different people. Although you would never know that by the way some respond to it.

(shrugs) It's just one of those terms that people love to use when they are mad about something, or need to flung blame or evil in a certain direction.

Organizations like CBMW love to bring out the book, "The Feminist Mystique" as their playbook against it. It's a 50 year old book, and modern young feminist's probably have never heard of it. Many wouldn't relate to many aspects of it, and yet people still use it for their playbook. That's why I don't take their opinion - that they claim is Gospel - to seriously.

I mean being a Chauvinist is not compatible with Christianity either, and yet you don't have to go to far to see how many men still embrace that mindset.

People are custom made, and each one is different. lol you would never know it with the label game though. The bible tells you we are custom made, and yet using the labels to box someone in is still all the rave. It's so hypocritical. Labels aren't compatible with Christianity, but HEY let's use them anyway!

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am not pro-abortion. I simply believe they are living according to their own values and laws. By me telling someone they are not allowed to do it because it's against God, it's the same as a Muslim telling me that I'm not allowed to be seen in public without a hijab. I do not want them telling me that, so I am not going to force my own Christian values onto those who do not choose a Christian lifestyle.

I believe in harm reduction because it has been shown by research to be effective. Harm reduction says that women are going to get abortions whether it's legal or not. I would rather see them do it in a sterile environment than the back alley with a rusty bent hanger.

That has nothing to do with how I vote.

You don't have to believe in God to believe that abortion is wrong. There are many atheists who are against abortion.

As a Christian, though, we have a responsibility to protect the weak.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Unfortunately, I don't believe we can really discuss that. I believe I may be within the rules to say this, though: no one "promotes abortion"....and no one *wants* abortions, it's more like an animal chewing their leg off that's caught in a trap (they don't *want* to chew their limb off).

So, what kind of feminism are we discussing?

I think it's safe to say that when most people on this board identify as "feminist" they are mainly stating they agree with equal treatment of the genders (and equal opportunities) instead of opportunities being gender-based.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay. There are many feminist that feel the same way you do.

There are too many flavors to the word, and it means different things to different people. Although you would never know that by the way some respond to it.

I agree. That's why I qualified my response with those points.

Upvote 0