Feelings/Gut instinct vs God's leading

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SportsJunkie25

How can you differentiate between feelings (which they say to ignore b/c they are fickle) or your gut instinct vs God's leading?

I've been in a couple of situations where I've felt like something was going to work out (if I were a gambler, I could have put some serious money on it; that's how sure I was! :p) but it didn't. I thought gut instincts were there for a reason? And if that's the case, how can I follow God's leading...it kind of feels like a feeling/gut instinct.

I'm kind of confused on differentiating between the two. Hhhmmm. :confused:

Last edited:

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe the 11 hours delay was just because many of us were sleeping. :crosses fingers:

I can't say that I am always right about separating the two, even after decades of discerning. Last night I woke up at 3AM, certain that I needed to pray for someone and email them. I haven't heard back yet; no harm done.

The "no harm done" concept can help be a guide. Taking risks is one thing, but if the results could lead you into an unscriptural set of actions or results, then it's only fair to hash it out with God. Don't be afraid to ask.

Yesterday I was pulling into a store parking lot space, and heard that I should park closer. I assumed that was a feeling, and ignored it. I heard it again, so I said "fine, I'll go a little closer." It seemed that only a selfish motive would cause me to park closer -- no benefit seen in that.

There was a particular spot I felt I should pull in, but a person was standing there, so I didn't. When I got out of the car and walked past them, I realized they needed help with their car.

That was the opposite instance, God instead of feeling... but I've realized by now that God is more patient with my headstrong responses than I deserve. It is my fear of doing things imperfectly that is a bigger obstacle.

God can turn all things for good. If we mess up, He knows how to rewrite the path of possibilities. Just keep asking Him for His guidance, and rely on Him, and ask Him to keep you from stumbling. Then let go, and allow yourself to make well-intentioned mistakes once in a while.

Upvote 0

Dixiecup

May 2, 2009
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can you differentiate between feelings (which they say to ignore b/c they are fickle) or your gut instinct vs God's leading?

I've been in a couple of situations where I've felt like something was going to work out (if I were a gambler, I could have put some serious money on it; that's how sure I was! :p) but it didn't. I thought gut instincts were there for a reason? And if that's the case, how can I follow God's leading...it kind of feels like a feeling/gut instinct.

I'm kind of confused on differentiating between the two. Hhhmmm. :confused:

Always follow your gut, always. If your wrong, your wrong, so what. Your gut feelings may save your life one day and we humans have them for reason. Not everything is going to turnout they way you thought it would, but many things will.

Have you read the book, "Blink", by Malcolm Gladwell? I suggest you do.

We women have a strong sixth sense, we have to. Many men will try and dismiss you, and many women who don't know their own gender very well will do the same. Be smart and stand your ground, even if it's in your own thoughts. Don't try and get others to confirm things for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LauraLu

Aug 5, 2007
North Carolina
✟8,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, there is a difference between following an instinct that you believe is from God, and actually knowing what the result of following that instinct will be. God often gives us a gut feeling of peace when we have prayed about following his path, but that doesn't necessarily mean that things will "work out" (as you say in your post) the way you think they will. It means that no matter how they turned out, that was the way God intended.

Does that make any sense? Following God's path or going with a gut feeling that you are certain is from God doesn't always mean that you know where it will lead.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just my two cents:

I constantly worry whether I am doing the will of God. Because I don't really know when I am and when I am not. All I do is do what feels like the right thing to do, and follow the desires of my heart (as long as they feel like the right thing to do).

And He heard me and told me this: you are doing the right thing even if you don't know it. And also: you are very good at doing what I want

There is a verse in the Bible which says Phil 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

The point is: I can't tell. But if your heart is right with God and you walk daily with the Lord, this verse in Phil will become true: He will act in you, and will give you the desires which are in accordance with His will.

And I would say that you can't know for sure (just by your feelings), although I heard before that people were sure and were right (God gave them the feeling).

But again, I think most of our walk is blindly relying on God to know what He is doing. And He IS the one who is guiding us, teaching us, holding us by His hand. (even if we don't know it)

PRO 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?

PSA 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

PSA 37:23 If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm;
24 though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.