Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

US District Judge Jay Moody found the Arkansas law to be unconstitutional. This is the latest of similar cases, showing a solid trend in court decisions. The US Supreme Court has yet to weigh in on the issue, so the situation could still change, but things are looking grim for laws against gender-affirming care for kids.

I could be mistaken, but I think an argument can still be made for laws against gender reassignment surgery for children. However, health experts have been able to convince the courts that at least some treatments, such as puberty blockers and hormone treatments, are necessary in certain cases to prevent extreme depression and suicide.

I previously wasn't against outlawing puberty blockers for trans cases, since the FDA hasn't approved them for use in trans cases. But I now feel there's insufficient justification to prevent their use for trans cases, considering their consistent safe use in other situations, and also considering the results of the court cases.

Hopefully we'll get to see a decision by the US Supreme Court on laws like this before too long.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gender Affirming care is where you surgically mutilate a person so his physical body matches his gender dysphoria.
Therefore Identity Affirming care is where you surgically divide up the head of a schizophrenic into how many ever personalities he seems to have.
Makes as much sense.

Reactions: Mr E
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Gender Affirming care is where you surgically mutilate a person so his physical body matches his gender dysphoria.
Therefore Identity Affirming care is where you surgically divide up the head of a schizophrenic into how many ever personalities he seems to have.
Makes as much sense.
Neither of those things are accurate. Especially as you seem to think schizophrenia means multiple personalities.

Good grief.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Makes as much sense.
Can we (at present) “fix the mind”, to the degree that the person is no longer suffering?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Guy thinks he is a horse = "Lycanthropy."
A trans-species thing going on here.
Solution?
Lots of surgery!!!!
Are you trying a slippery slope approach here? I don't think it's working out for you.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Solution?
Lots of surgery!!!!
That's specifically for wolves. If you have to make things up at least know what you are making things up about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's specifically for wolves. If you have to make things up at least know what you are making things up about.
Common misunderstanding-

lycanthropy, (from Greek lykos, “wolf ”; anthropos, “man”), mental disorder in which the patient believes that he is a wolf or some other nonhuman animal.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

US District Judge Jay Moody found the Arkansas law to be unconstitutional. This is the latest of similar cases, showing a solid trend in court decisions. The US Supreme Court has yet to weigh in on the issue, so the situation could still change, but things are looking grim for laws against gender-affirming care for kids.

I could be mistaken, but I think an argument can still be made for laws against gender reassignment surgery for children. However, health experts have been able to convince the courts that at least some treatments, such as puberty blockers and hormone treatments, are necessary in certain cases to prevent extreme depression and suicide.

I previously wasn't against outlawing puberty blockers for trans cases, since the FDA hasn't approved them for use in trans cases. But I now feel there's insufficient justification to prevent their use for trans cases, considering their consistent safe use in other situations, and also considering the results of the court cases.

Hopefully we'll get to see a decision by the US Supreme Court on laws like this before too long.

From the court's perspective, I get why they're erroring on the side of caution and opting to shutdown bans instead of upholding them. "Error on the side of freedom" is always the least risky move from a PR standpoint.

For instance, there are times where that type of treatment/intervention is helpful, and the judge who signs off on a flatout ban is going to forever have egg on their face the first time there's an instance of a person being denied a certain type of care (when it's applicable) that's being banned.

My main concern is how some of these pediatric gender care clinics operate and seemingly have the "everything is a nail to a person who only has hammers" mentality.

I've cited before the case of the one in Cincinnati (the 4th largest of its kind in the country), where the judge ruled against the parent who was trying to sue to block their child from getting the treatments based strictly on the specific details of that particular case, but took the opportunity to still express concerns about the fact that "this clinic has found that 100% of people presenting for care are suitable candidates for what they have to offer"

A good analogy would be when there was still debates going on about states offering medicinal marijuana.

No judge would want to be seen as the one responsible for denying a cancer patient something that would give them relief...at the same time, one would have to be a fool to think that outlier scenario (with regards to the people who were getting their medical cards) represented the lion's share of people who were partaking in the program.

The reality is, certain treatments are over-prescribed (people can see it with regards to painkillers, but on this topic, that skepticism seems to go out the window in favor of political correctness), If I were a judge, and someone was looking to ban certain narcotic painkillers, I would shoot down the ban, as I've seen what kind of suffering people go through with certain conditions and it's wrong to deny them that option, as the same time, I wouldn't want to see those things prescribed willy nilly to just any old person showing up saying "my back hurts"

In a nutshell, are there certain cases of gender dysphoria so intense that the the most humane thing to do is affirm (via social and medical intervention), yes...I feel there are.

Do I think everyone (especially young people who are impressionable and subject to regularly changing their positions and impulsiveness) who claims they're trans should be fast-tracked through the process? Absolutely not. But the polar extremes on this topic seem to be dominating the public discourse.

On one side, you have people who want to completely ban any and all affirming measures for people of any age...on the other side, you have people who suggest that if a 11 year old boy says "I feel like girl", we should immediately reach for the penis saw and estrogen supplements after a 20 minute questionnaire and 45 minute visit at a gender care clinic (that has a profit motive for performing as many affirming services as possible)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure how solid the trend is. The article you link to mentions how a similar Tennessee law got upheld (at least provisionally)--though, admittedly, that was added to the article after you started this topic.

My issue is that these sorts of considerations you are talking about are legislative, not judicial. That is, it they refer to whether such laws are good ideas or not. Even if such laws are bad ideas, that does not mean they are unconstitutional, and the claim that laws like this are unconstitutional seems rather strained to me.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
On one side, you have people who want to completely ban any and all affirming measures for people of any age...on the other side, you have people who suggest that if a 11 year old boy says "I feel like girl", we should immediately reach for the penis saw and estrogen supplements after a 20 minute questionnaire and 45 minute visit at a gender care clinic (that has a profit motive for performing as many affirming services as possible)
That's a problem, all right. I would think that it's possible for legislatures to come up with reasonable limitations for when the surgery is performed without banning it altogether. How one would get the legislatures to agree with that is the tricky part.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
My issue is that these sorts of considerations you are talking about are legislative, not judicial. That is, it they refer to whether such laws are good ideas or not. Even if such laws are bad ideas, that does not mean they are unconstitutional, and the claim that laws like this are unconstitutional seems rather strained to me.
I'm really looking forward to the Supreme Court weighing in on this. It could be bouncing back and forth in very inconsistent ways until they get around to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Common misunderstanding-

lycanthropy, (from Greek lykos, “wolf ”; anthropos, “man”), mental disorder in which the patient believes that he is a wolf or some other nonhuman animal.

Werewolves I can accept but I draw the line at werebears!

• Optimistic
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Solution?
Lots of surgery!!!!

That's an argument from ridicule, not a a real argument that shows much compassion or understanding for people that struggle with gender dysphoria.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How one would get the legislatures to agree with that is the tricky part.
For starters, I would think both sides would have to approach this differently than how the abortion debate has been approached and avoid some of the types of the rhetoric and semantic overload that go with along with that particular conversation.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Good grief, come dear Jesus!
Slavery wasn’t bad enough to initiate the Parouisa, nor the Holocaust, but this?, this is the thing that’ll do it?

Upvote 0