Ohio
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, you either have a cell phone or a computer. Couldn’t the money be spent on poor kids?
My cell phone is compared to millions of dollars? I don't own a car or a house but a phone, something the government gives away free. But yes I bought my phone. You justify the rich but criticize the poor here.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Abraham lived in a tent and smelled like livestock. He was a rancher. His wealth fed people. He didn't use it for mansions and fine clothing or possessions
What about Solomon? God blessed him with great wealth.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My cell phone is compared to millions of dollars? I don't own a car or a house but a phone, something the government gives away free. But yes I bought my phone. You justify the rich but criticize the poor here.
How many meals could you have bought for poor kids with what you spend on your phone every year?

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many meals could you have bought for poor kids with what you spend on your phone every year?
You would seem to criticize Paul not me. He said not to be rich or to desire it. He owed parchment and ink to write letters though. My cell phone is my communication.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If I'm criticized here imagine the rich. You sure don't speak well of them here.
I’m not criticizing, actually. I’m just saying that how you make and spend your money is your business, just like how they make and spend their money is their business.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You would seem to criticize Paul not me. He said not to be rich or to desire it. He owed parchment and ink to write letters though. My cell phone is my communication.
Where did he say not to be rich?

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not criticizing, actually. I’m just saying that how you make and spend your money is your business, just like how they make and spend their money is their business.
It's God's business. Should I post scripture showing why wealth is wrong?

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where did he say not to be rich?
He told Timothy that those who desire wealth err from the faith. He said to be content with food and clothes. He was poor himself. See 1 Corinthians chapter 4, 1 Timothy chapter 6, Luke chapter 6, and Matthew chapter 6.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He told Timothy that those who desire wealth err from the faith. He said to be content with food and clothes. He was poor himself. See 1 Corinthians chapter 4, 1 Timothy chapter 6, Luke chapter 6, and Matthew chapter 6.
Can you be more specific? None of that says wealth is wrong.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My cell phone is compared to millions of dollars?

""""And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.'""

"Establish His Covenant".. .with "wealth that God gives you".

How about that one...

NT Paraphrase : It Costs to reach the Lost.

NT Paraphrase : Give to the poor.

Its interesting to note that King Solomon had more literal WEALTH then Elon Musk. (God gave it to Him).

Final answer?

God has no issue with money, and God has no issue with you having plenty.

The issue is.. "dont chase it obsessively ... dont make it first in your life"...

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
""""And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.'""

"Establish His Covenant".. .with "wealth that God gives you".

How about that one...

NT Paraphrase : It Costs to reach the Lost.

NT Paraphrase : Give to the poor.

Its interesting to note that King Solomon had more literal WEALTH then Elon Musk. (God gave it to Him).

Final answer?

God has no issue with money, and God has no issue with you having plenty.

The issue is.. "dont chase it obsessively ... dont make it first in your life"...
Solomon was an idolater too. I follow Paul s
and the apostles not Solomon

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry. Things are not perfect here, are they? My mother had six children. I'm the only one who became a Christian. I was in a cult for several years. Not all my children are Christians. If I were wealthy I could do a lot of good things with the money. But life is what it is.

Let us pray for God's will to be done.

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,741,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Casting crowns sings about going into the unknown where Jesus is. But Jesus was poor while that guy has 3 million dollars. I don't understand that at all. It makes me sad. I liked his music.

If a Christian shoemaker makes a lot of money making shoes, is that wrong? Would you refuse to wear shoes made by them?

I think a distinction needs to be made between making money by one's vocation (whether that person is a shoemaker or a musician) and profiting off the Gospel--treating the Gospel itself as a commodity.

It is perfectly legitimate for a Christian to make a living through their vocation; whether they are explicit in their faith through their vocation or not shouldn't matter. Earning a living is a valid means of existence.

At a certain point it can be legitimate to ask are we hoarding wealth rather than using our income in a way befitting that of a disciple of Jesus--but the mere acquiring of monetary value is not itself a problem.

I'm not entirely in disagreement with you--I think there are valid concerns to be raised about the Christian music industry, and indeed all forms of "Christian" industry--industry which produces material for a specifically Christian market--should be held under a pretty strong magnifying glass and open to criticism.

But I'm not sure your argument, as it is presented, is a good one. Musicians aren't evangelists, they're musicians.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Solomon was an idolater too. I follow Paul s
and the apostles not Solomon

Who told you to follow Solomon?
I didnt.. I just showed you that God gave this Jew, more money, riches, than anyone who will ever live.

Upvote 0