Fear and Salvation

Maria Desiree

Jul 26, 2011
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was around seven or eight, I got "saved" and baptized. I don't believe I really knew what it meant, or that I was necessarily ready. To ask God into your life is to be a slave to him. As I grew up, I stopped praying, stopped doing pretty much everything. There was always a tug at my heart though.

Now... I rededicated my life on the 26th, or asked God to come back in my life. Started over, so to speak. I've done this a couple times over the years, but this time was different. I actually cried afterwards, with this overwhelming feeling when I thought about Jesus. It was just so... I can't even explain it. I felt both ashamed and happy and saddened and refreshed.

I still feel so weak in my faith. I've had desires to read my bible, and pray many times and I try to do so. But, I was reading my bible last night and was terrified. I see things like having to become like a child to see heaven, and that if you accept God, and then continue to sin purposefully there is no sacrifice anymore, and even, if you deny Jesus, he will deny you in front of the father. Don't even get me started about the unforgivable sin.

I think I've done all of those things in the past (I'm not sure about the unforgivable sin, but I'm so fearful that I have). Does this mean that I will not go to heaven no matter how hard I try, or believe?

I've prayed but still feel helpless. What if he's turned away from me? I also have questions about fearing God, but I'll try not to get into that stuff now. Please help.

-Desi

P.s: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean by scary verses in the bible, when I came back to the Lord two years ago they scared me too, actually they were what made me truly dedicate my life to Christ.

What you have to realize Maria is that once you truly commit your life to Christ (which sounds like what you have done) and repent (which means to turn from sin in your heart) you are saved.

We are saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ, if we see our sin and trust that Jesus is the ONLY Way to be forgiven and the ONLY Way to bring us to the Father, we are saved.

You must rest your faith on the Word of God and not your feelings. Sometimes you may not feel saved but guilt feelings are not necessarily based on what is true. Feeling are above all: unrealiable when it comes to the Christian walk, the sooner you understand this the better. You may feel something but in reality it is the opposite. Believe the Word, God has promised that He will save ALL who come to Him through Jesus:

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:17,18)

"All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out." (John 6:37)

Jesus promises in these verses that those who come to Him are NOT condemned and He will NOT turn them away (cast out).

Those verses of condemnation are not meant for you sister, those who may have committed the unpardonable sin do not even know that they have, they don't care!

When Jesus told some of the Pharisees that they were in danger of committing that sin, they could care less. Their hearts were so hard they could not see Jesus for who He was and is (the Saviour of the world), but if the Holy Spirit has revealed to you this truth (which He has) you are safe in the hands of Christ.

Do not let the devil condemn you when you have placed your trust in Jesus Christ. Jesus is your mighty Defender now and when He sees you He says "MINE". God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The unforgivable sin is blaspheming against the holy spirit and God and - I take it to mean to keep doing it and not repent. In other words never be saved by always blaspheming against the Holy spirit, damning yourself.

I would not worry so much as becoming a new Christian is a marvelous thing that you need to keep looking forward to. You will grow much in years to come and become more secure in belief and see more in yourself change over time. It is not an instant process, it wasn't meant to be - instant processes never carry as much weight or power.

I still feel so weak in my faith. I've had desires to read my bible, and pray many times and I try to do so. But, I was reading my bible last night and was terrified. I see things like having to become like a child to see heaven, and that if you accept God, and then continue to sin purposefully there is no sacrifice anymore, and even, if you deny Jesus, he will deny you in front of the father. Don't even get me started about the unforgivable sin.

The verses about being a child to enter Heaven is childlike faith and acceptance but you of course can never become a child again. I don't know what you mean by, and then if you accept God, and then continue to sin purposely there is no sacrifice anymore,. The verse you are referring to with Jesus is more for those who are 'false Christians', who pretend to know God for ulterior reasons or out of habit but do not. Those who go to church but have no faith and do not pray, or those that preach emptily and deceive for greedy or ulterior motives but have no interest in God.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what you mean by, and then if you accept God, and then continue to sin purposely there is no sacrifice anymore,.
She is speaking of this verse:

"For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins," (Hebrews 10:26)

Maria,
I do not think the verse is speaking of apostasy, I believe that it is saying exactly what it sounds like: "there remains no more sacrifice for sins" because Jesus is the ONLY sacrifice for sins...so if we reject that sacrifice there is no hope because we have rejected our only hope for salvation. The author of Hebrews was speaking to a group of Jewish believers in this book, the temptation at the time was for the Jews to return to the Old Testament covanental animal sacrifices and this would have been an insult to the grace of God. This would have been an affront to God's mercy and to the blood of His Son. The point: Jesus provided the ONLY sacrifice by which man can be saved and this is what HAS to be believed.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think I've done all of those things in the past (I'm not sure about the unforgivable sin, but I'm so fearful that I have). Does this mean that I will not go to heaven no matter how hard I try, or believe?

I've prayed but still feel helpless. What if he's turned away from me? I also have questions about fearing God, but I'll try not to get into that stuff now. Please help.

Maria, God is not going to desert you now that you've placed your trust in Him. He doesn't work that way. He didn't do it to man when Adam sinned, and He well could have. But He is very committed to us, and all the more so now that Jesus has paid the price of our salvation.

Those very grave warnings in Hebrews are just that - warnings. The writer does not want us to go there. But he's not talking about garden-variety sin. He's talking about the unpardonable sin. You can see this in chapter 6, where he goes on to say that God will not forget their good works. If we take this chapter literally, we end up with a works salvation, whereby our good deeds hopefully outweigh our bad. It's impossible that the writer of Hebrews would mean this, because his whole book is oriented around the finished work of Christ on the cross. He would be insulting the spirit of grace - the very thing he warns against.

And you haven't committed the unpardonable sin if you are concerned about it. Those who have have ultra-hardened hearts toward the Lord.

Many of us come to God in fear, even terror. But every time the Lord appears to someone beloved in the Bible, He tells him not to fear. So it is with us. We begin in fear, but as we grow in our relationship, His perfect love casts out fear. We grow in reverence and awe the more we behold Him, but as our faith grows we see that because of Christ - this has NOTHING to do with our own righteousness - judgment has indeed passed over us, and with it the terror of being judged.

Trust in the Lord, and keep feeding on His goodness. As you approach Him in faith He will give you the peace that passes understanding. I suggest you dwell richly in Romans 8, which tells us that we have a love that will not separate itself from us. Also see 2tim 1.7. Be diligent and patient, and your faith and assurance will grow.

God bless,
p.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was around seven or eight, I got "saved" and baptized. I don't believe I really knew what it meant, or that I was necessarily ready. To ask God into your life is to be a slave to him. As I grew up, I stopped praying, stopped doing pretty much everything. There was always a tug at my heart though.

Now... I rededicated my life on the 26th, or asked God to come back in my life. Started over, so to speak. I've done this a couple times over the years, but this time was different. I actually cried afterwards, with this overwhelming feeling when I thought about Jesus. It was just so... I can't even explain it. I felt both ashamed and happy and saddened and refreshed.

You sound ... very much like a good example of the roller coaster of feelings from an honest, new believer.

God doesn't reject people who have turned to Him. It's people who leave Christ, and only regret their privileged position, that annoy Him the most -- um, hypocrites. Honestly relying on God is a shoo-in. Scripture is utterly consistent - relying on Jesus to save you, agreeing with God about your own situation, turning from that as morally bankrupt ... it's just simply the definition of "Christian".

The term "grace", it means something when defined in English. It means "unmerited favor".

There are no people who haven't sinned before. We are all relying on God's unmerited favor for salvation. If you felt great about meriting God's salvation, I'd be worried. But you're worried. So I'm not.

I know that sounds strange. But is it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through some difficult times. Remember that God is a loving father who is patient and wants us to come back even if we stray. Jesus taught the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) in order to show how God responds when someone comes back to Him, even after unspeakable evils far worse than those causing your anxiety.

Also remember that the apostle Paul was an enemy of Christians, persecuted them, and was there for (and approved of) the killing of the first Christian martyr Steven. God not only forgave him, but chose him to become one of the most important teachers in history, and author to a lot of the new testament. I'm sure Paul had moments of intense regret and remorse for his past sins, but he did not doubt his salvation. He knew that Jesus came to save sinners like him, like you, and like me.

The walk with Christ will have adversity, but it should also have peace, hope, and joy. Take a deep breath and take one step at a time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums