Visit site
✟17,800.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just wanted to know what medium you all like to paint with most. I'm in a painting class in my high school, and right now I am working on an oil painting. We have worked with watercolor, tempera, acrylic, and have started oils. So far, I enjoy oils and acrylic. It is easier to blend with oil, but it is so messy.:mad:

Chartreuse

Digging in the Art Mine
Aug 4, 2004
The attic
✟7,920.00
Faith
Christian
Well, my favorite medium is alcohol markers, but I dunno if that counts as painting. :D I do like to try out a lot of different media, though.

Not very fond of acrylics; they dry too fast, and since I like to layer, end up too thick. Oils are great once you get the hang of them. You can get a lot of different effects over the course of their drying, from smooth blending to cool pallete knife tricks, and depending on the carrier you can keep reworking for a up to week or two. The downside is that all my paintings end up with cat hair stuck to them.. ;p

One interesting thing to try is a combo of wet media and dry media. For instance, laying down an impression with watercolors and then adding detail with colored pencils.

Upvote 0

Saruman

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2004
USA-Kentucky
Visit site
✟17,800.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Chartreuse said:
One interesting thing to try is a combo of wet media and dry media. For instance, laying down an impression with watercolors and then adding detail with colored pencils.
I'll have to try that. It sounds very cool.

Upvote 0

XxGenesiSxX

Nov 12, 2004
Southampton, England
Visit site
✟15,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use acrylics, I've not yet tried oils...but I will soon. I like the fact that acrylic dries fast although I made a mistake the other day by putting a dark colour where there should be a light. Trying to cover the darker colour up is difficult.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
I like oils, but they are slow to dry and have to be careful of cracking (pack the top layers on thicker than the dry bottom layers or the picture will have cracks all over and look old real quick). Oil looks really good though, acrylics have their good points too, but I really like oil. Also the oil takes a long time to dry, from days to weeks to even months for complete dryness, but I'm not in a hurry, so it works out.

Upvote 0

jackyl565

Dec 5, 2004
Arkansas
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
my dad and I really like to do airbrushing, we find its an easy way to do really good paintings and its a good healthy way to use our imaginations and to spend lots of time together. He has an airbursh system we use and I would definitely recommend trying it if anyone gets the chance.

Upvote 0

Stefania777

Lifting Shadows off a Dream
Oct 28, 2004
New Mexico
✟14,913.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
Chartreuse said:
ya, I'm working on a piece like that right now....well, kinda, its with graphite pencil, and rendered in watercolor

Upvote 0

XxGenesiSxX

Nov 12, 2004
Southampton, England
Visit site
✟15,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've just been looking at coloured pencils. I found some amazing ones which I was going to buy..till I realised the set I was after costs £135!!!! Ouch. Mind you, I think they are the ones the top artists use.
Oh, I figured out that white acrylic covers any dark colour...so I've sorted my painting!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums