Favorite OT "Book" and Favorite NT "Book"?

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
How can one choose?

Among the OT, probably Genesis. I just like the stories. But for the same reason I also like Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings (not so much Chronicles).

In the NT, the Gospel of John, hands down. But when I was a younger Christian it was Acts that used to get me so excited, and as a seminarian it was Romans.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
How can one choose?

Among the OT, probably Genesis. I just like the stories. But for the same reason I also like Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings (not so much Chronicles).

In the NT, the Gospel of John, hands down. But when I was a younger Christian it was Acts that used to get me so excited, and as a seminarian it was Romans.

I almost put down Acts.

Basically, it would be easier to write down which book I didn't like.

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How can one choose?

Yes, I almost wrote down Galatians for the NT, but John is such a cornerstone of salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It changes weekly if not monthly at best.

OT-Psalms: The Lord is my Shepard......If I read it in the right mood, I still tear up

NT-I just refuse to choose, I can't Ephesians for grace talk and James for when I need direction. Ok ok ok Ephesians that's it Ephesians or is it Hebrews? Oh leave me alone never mind, I pass!

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When I am studying about the community of believers I too like Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus.

When I need to get back to "ground zero" of my salvation, I go to John and Galatians.

When I want to get "deeper" into my faith, I go to Romans.

So, I understand your hesitation at being pinned down to just one or two.

Be blessed,
Lee52

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
OT - Difficult to say. My favorite passage is probably Isiah 53. Otherwise I'll say Ruth.

NT - No question John is foundational, but Philippians is my sentimental favorite. Otherwise Romans.

Oh yeah, I love Ruth and Esther.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I nearly put Esther. :)

When I was a kid, our church had Sunday evening services and they weren't too kid friendly. So, instead of having children's church I had regular church. I would get bored and want to read but my parents wouldn't let me bring secular books into church. So, I would read from the bible instead. I read it voraciously. I really loved to read Ruth and Esther.

Upvote 0