Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Acapella:
"Holy, Holy, Holy", "Leave It There", "Blest Be the Tie", "Because He Lives", "As the Deer", "There is a God, He is Alive".

In general, I love hymns that don't have the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus (repeat) structure.

This is probably my favorite recording of a hymn ever, though:

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I came on here to say that although I don't really much like hymns, there are a few that I do like, especially when they are somehow modernized. I see that people have very different ideas here about what hymns are.
Defining the term....
When I hear the word "hymn" I think of the thick hardbound books in the backs of the pews in Methodist and Baptist and some other churches with eighteenth and nineteenth century songs of at least three verses each. That's what I don't really much like. I do like this one:
Biblically speaking the word that is translated "hymn" - what is it? I like what this author says:
http://www.firstluv.org/tod/Chapter Four.htm
in which case I like this one:

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To me any song that uses the words of the bible as inspiration for the words in the songs are hymns;
That brings up an interesting point. How do you define "hymn?"

To me the song I posted "I want to walk" is a hymn, but other songs from the same source (Catholic Charismatic Renewal) are NOT hymns even though their scriptural content may be more. "I am the Bread of Life" I would NOT categorize as a hymn even though it quotes John 6 massively.

To me it is a musical style.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That brings up an interesting point. How do you define "hymn?"

To me the song I posted "I want to walk" is a hymn, but other songs from the same source (Catholic Charismatic Renewal) are NOT hymns even though their scriptural content may be more. "I am the Bread of Life" I would NOT categorize as a hymn even though it quotes John 6 massively.

To me it is a musical style.

Well; Webster's defines it as "a religious song : a song that praises God." Which I think is about right; a hymn should praise God; a lot of new Christian songs are all about how bad the author is and how bad they need God; not praising Him.

Here is a little test; would this song be considered a hymn? I have wondered when I wanted to post it in a Christmas song thread I had made. It's called "Rivers of Babylon" by Boney M from 1978;The words are all from the Bible:

Upvote 0