Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, “clericalism” is a disease, but so is anti-clericalism–especially when it comes from a pope.

“There you go again!”

Remember that winning line from presidential candidate Ronald Reagan to President Jimmy Carter in October 1980? It was a riposte to Carter’s constant rehashing of pet topics.

That retort came to mind as Pope Francis, once again, landed on young priests and their sartorial preferences. This time around, however, it was sallied at the conclusion of his final address to the participants in his “Synod on Synodality” and, on that score alone, inappropriate and offensive. It was a reprise of his favorite “hobby horse” of “clericalism”:

Clericalism is a thorn. It is a scourge. It is a form of worldliness that defiles and damages the face of the Lord’s bride. It enslaves the holy, faithful people of God.
And the best example of this “scourge”? “It is enough to go into the ecclesiastical tailor shops in Rome to see the scandal of young priests trying on cassocks and hats, or albs and lace robes.” “Scandal”?

Even more: “The faithful holy People of God patiently and humbly enduring the scorn, mistreatment, and marginalization of institutionalized clericalism.”

Ironically, he lobbed this at them—the only group he singled out for castigation—in the context of calling for charity in the Church and criticizing those exhibiting “dictatorial attitudes.”

With everything going on in the Church and the world, why the focus on lace albs? In the interests of transparency: I don’t wear lace surplices or albs, largely because I don’t think their use reflects the 1500-year tradition before their arrival on the scene. That said, I don’t think it should be cause for a major ecclesiastical kerfuffle.

Continued below.