✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
“
Someone called family services about the photo,” said Evan Nappen, an attorney representing Shawn Moore. “It led to an incredible, heavy-handed raid on his house. They wanted to see his gun safe, his guns and search his house. They even threatened to take his kids.”

The department has a child abuse hotline for the state of New Jersey and anybody can make a call to that hotline,” spokesperson Kristen Brown said. “We are required to follow up on every single allegation that comes into the central registry.”
Family’s Home Raided over Facebook Photo of Child’s Rifle | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

The boy has been instructed on safe handling of a firearm, he has a hunting license, which kind of means the state says its ok for him to "hold" a firearm. So no laws were broken in the picture.

The Dept of child abuse should investigate every allegation, that doesn't mean forcing their way into a home, checking weapons, or anything other then talking with the parents, talking with the child(or children), and talking with people that know the children.

Until they find a reason to investigate further, they don't need to assault the home.

BTW Camo and guns does not automatically mean extreme militia types.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He did precisely what I would have done. "Do you have a warrant? No? Then you can turn around and beat it."

This story does, however, vindicate me (again!) as to why I don't have Facebook or Twitter. Anything you say or do can be picked up by Big Sister and blown totally out of proportion.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
He did precisely what I would have done. "Do you have a warrant? No? Then you can turn around and beat it."

This story does, however, vindicate me (again!) as to why I don't have Facebook or Twitter. Anything you say or do can be picked up by Big Sister and blown totally out of proportion.

The historically correct term is little sister.

Just saying a Science Fiction writer came up with that term for the (worse than Big Brother) kind of busybody who wants to do things to you for your own good over a decade ago. .

Upvote 0

FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The historically correct term is little sister.

Just saying a Science Fiction writer came up with that term for the (worse than Big Brother) kind of busybody who wants to do things to you for your own good over a decade ago. .
images

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In my mind, they could have sorted this out over a 10 minute phone call to the parents. To come in with cops seems TOOOOOOOOtally unnecessary; even for our nanny state up in Canada, I VERY much doubt that would happen.

I'm curious if other pictures of youth with guns have lead to family services involvment (specifically, instances that had IMMEDIATE police intervention). Wasn't there a thread about that a couple months ago? Or perhaps those kids posted those pictures and killed someone later.

I do hope this guy IS aware that his gun collection is probably anything but private; it's only the government doesn't know about it. I'm sure most corporations have a disturbingly precise account of his weapons purchases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In my mind, they could have sorted this out over a 10 minute phone call to the parents. To come in with cops seems TOOOOOOOOtally unnecessary; even for our nanny state up in Canada, I VERY much doubt that would happen.

I'm curious if other pictures of youth with guns have lead to family services involvment (specifically, instances that had IMMEDIATE police intervention). Wasn't there a thread about that a couple months ago? Or perhaps those kids posted those pictures and killed someone later.

I do hope this guy IS aware that his gun collection is probably anything but private; it's only the government doesn't know about it. I'm sure most corporations have a disturbingly precise account of his weapons purchases.
They might have an idea, but they probably don't know exact weapons.
Alot of people buy from other gun owners(thats why they want manditory background checks so they have an idea. Suspect had a background check for firearms on_______. I bet some places attempt to get firearm information also. Which is not needed.)
They buy ammo for the weapon(if not on back order), gun cleaning kit, and a holster that fits the firearm. So secondary purchases will show size and caliber but not type and brand of the firearm.

Illegal search and seizure, anyone?
POlice can go door to door asking for permission to search a residence, so unless they force their way in, its not an illegal search. Anyone can sue for anything, but illegal search this was not. They did push it, and the lawyer heard the discussion, so they might have crossed the line.

Unless there is reason to believe a crime is happening at that moment or that someone is in danger, where obtaining a search warrant might allow the criminal to get away or cause harm to an individual during the time it takes to obtain a search warrant, they cannot enter.

"I can get a search warrant." is not a threat, although it does intimidate or make the person feel like its a done deal.
Let them get a warrant. You are not acting suspiciously by making them do their job. If they have reasonable evidence a crime has been or is being commited they will be able to get a a warrant, if not they are fishing.

Upvote 0

samarinka

Dec 6, 2012
SW London
✟15,199.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Too right to avoid Facebook.
One day the people who entrusted the intimate details of their lives to an evil corporation, a billion FB users and Big Brother might live to regret it!

Plus - it's not even a reliable source of information.

I'll never understand the lure of Facebook on people. When will they wake up and smell the coffee?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too right to avoid Facebook.
One day the people who entrusted the intimate details of their lives to an evil corporation, a billion FB users and Big Brother might live to regret it!

Plus - it's not even a reliable source of information.

I'll never understand the lure of Facebook on people. When will they wake up and smell the coffee?

They won't. They're too busy telling everyone in the world how good their coffee smells, what kind they have, where they bought it, what time of day they brewed it, etc., on Facebook.

Why on earth would I care about any of that junk? I have my own life to live, and unless I'm married to the person in question, I'm really not all that interested in the mundane, hour-by-hour details of their daily lives.

Of course, with the under-30 crowd (also known as the Borg), it's understandable, because they're all connected to each other by an electronic umbilical cord. (Not all of them, but the vast majority of them, I'd say) If you send more than two text messages per hour, you have officially been absorbed into the Collective.

I don't understand that, either. These kids get in car accidents, they get run over by trucks, they walk into buildings or off embankments, because they're "texting".

Hello? It's a telephone, for pete's sake! Pick it up and talk! Telephones were invented so you didn't have to sit there and tap on a telegraph key! All you had to do was dial and talk!

I have lived too long. I will never understand the mindset and attitudes, let alone the social habits, of these strange creatures.

Upvote 0

samarinka

Dec 6, 2012
SW London
✟15,199.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
yup I too am in the club of those who remember life before mobiles with sweet nostalgia. Remember when you stood somewhere and waited for someone and they were late but you had no way of getting in touch with them. Gosh, I MISS that.

Or when you called a friend as a child and had to talk to one of their parents first, instead of directly to them. Sensible vetting really.

I have no children but I feel very sceptical about raising a little one to become a slave to the electronic... Borg like you said, LOL. If I had kids I'd be well tempted to go and join one of those remote Christian colonies in New Zealand or something, and just let them grown up in tune with nature, playing outside and doing chores or listening to God's word..... Instead of texting, Facebooking and playing computer games.
Reality is healthier than virtual life.

It's funny how people talk about the old security services how they used to keep tabs of people and how evil that was. Well the Stasi would have salivated at 10% of the stuff people today voluntarily divulge on Facebook. And it's not like security systems don't trawl these networks and pick up the profiles of people with deviating profiles.
There is no doubt whatever that they keep tabs on all sorts of groups, not just the North Korean Friendship association and Islamic study groups.

Heck, if Antikrist turns up and got started with his evil plans, he'd just need to harvest all the Christian groups off Facebook and similar and he'd no straight away who to confront about their face. Yes I am joking but seriously - this BORG symptom is disturbing.

It is 15 years since I got my first mobile. Now I am a slave to it. Leaving it at home for any duration is simply not an option.

In 15 years, will I be forced to wear those Google glasses or whatever it's called, that's apparently taking Seattle with storm...?

And 15 years from then..... a chip on my forehead.....................6 6 6................!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My friend was outraged about this and I saw the picture circulating on facebook before stumbling upon the news article and subsequent follow-up.

The police did seem to react harshly. To be fair, there has been a trend of abuse being posted on facebook by parents in which the police have had to act swiftly (such as the parent posting the baby holding a gun or the kid with a gun in the mouth.) With this mindset, they have overreacted in this case.

With the circumstances revealed, I see nothing wrong with the picture.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the guy is planning to sue the cops over this too, which he has every right to.

If he has the right to sue the cops that is wrong. the cops were there by request of different govt department. if anybody gets sued it should be child safety. they were the oned demanding access not the cops. because these situations can be volatile it is generally standard practice to bring the police along. according to most articles (not fox tho) it was child safety demanding access and refusing to show id.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If he has the right to sue the cops that is wrong. the cops were there by request of different govt department. if anybody gets sued it should be child safety. they were the oned demanding access not the cops. because these situations can be volatile it is generally standard practice to bring the police along. according to most articles (not fox tho) it was child safety demanding access and refusing to show id.

Would be great but in most states the laws give DCFS an immunity clause, wherein they are allowed to violate laws and ethics if they believe a child is in imminent danger. It is a pretty big club to wield and a lot of nefarious ego-complex driven social workers use it wrongly to bash any parent that doesn't bow and scrape enough, fawningly when they show up. It is a problem in our system & it needs to change. If the parent doesn't beg and plead and offer sexual services to the little guy with the short-man complex, he says he believes there is a child in imminent danger and calls SWAT . . . they tear up the house and kill the family pet, degrade the parents and the social worker feels all vindicated for some completely unrelated wedgie they got in middle school. Happens with alarming frequency.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Glas your assesment of social workers is disturbing. if it is anything like here the problem is burnout. that means experienced workers quickly move on and those frontline jobs are given to inexpeirienced workers straight out of uni with no idea of how the real world works. reasons for burnout are generally massive media scrutiny that leads to political leaders reading a riot act to department heads and it filters down to frontline workers who despite having mostly got it right in the past are now too scared that they make over the top decisions like happened here. end of the day if they were allowed to make mistakes that would help. of course if they make a mistake kids can die hence the mefia frenzy.
i don't know what the healthy balance is because i do believe in a free media but so often the media maked a bad situation worse.

Upvote 0