Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Synergism. That God still continues to work in our life and draw us. God also gives us a new heart with new desires in the new birth. God can chastise us. But if we really want to go and leave God eventually in favor of our sin, God is not going to stand in our way if we keep pushing for that later on after accepting Him. We still have free will choice and we do not become mindless robots to God and nor does God put up ways to stop us from sinning (Which brings death). If a Christian persists in sin and or they teach a sin and still be saved type belief, they have not truly repented or sought after forgiveness with God. They are still holding onto their sin on some level with the thinking they can be in God's favor. The greasy grace gospel of today allows for them to do just that. To hold onto the idea that they will forever be slaves to their sin in some way in this life and God's okay with that. But wouldn't God have to agree with a plan of salvation that makes for an allowance for sin? Can God agree with sin? Surely not. That is why the belief alone type salvation gospel is false. For when you say it is by belief alone, people are going to instantly think.... I can sin and still be saved.

Do you believe that we are justified, in part, by our works?

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Reformers actually did not teach that salvation is by faith alone. You'll see this even if you take a closer look at your quote from Calvin. The Reformers taught that we are justified by faith alone. To be sure, justification is a very central part of our salvation. But the two concepts are not identical. Salvation is a larger concept which includes justification.

To say we are justified by faith alone means that our good works do not contribute to our being counted righteous before God. God counts us righteous apart from our works.

If that is so then why was the unprofitable servant cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth? (See Matthew 25:30).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If that is so then why was the unprofitable servant cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth? (See Matthew 25:30).

If we have no good works we demonstrate that we had no true faith. This does not mean that our good works contribute to our justification.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that we are justified, in part, by our works?

I only believe it because James says so.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

Jesus says if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17).
If you will read the end of the chapter, the point is not how we cannot keep God's commands so just believe on Jesus, the point was to actually forsake things in our life that is a part of everlasting life. For Zacchaeus had given away half of his goods and Jesus said salvation has come to his house (See Luke 19:1-10).

Paul says if any man loves not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed (1 Corinthians 16:22).
Jesus defines loving him by the fact that He says, if you love me, keep my commandments (See John 14:15 and then John 15:10).

Revelation 22 says,
14 "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟844,283.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The key is understanding how Sanctification also plays a part in the salvation process is understanding that it is God or Christ doing the good work in you and it is not you alone doing that good work. So all glory, praise, and thanks goes to Jesus for any good done in our lives and it is not ourselves.

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, "(1 Timothy 6:3-4).

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Romans 6:1-2).

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (1 Corinthians 16:22).

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38).

”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

"...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62).

“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8).

"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).

“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12).

“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).

”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).

”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

”Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation [i.e. as the people of Israel did when they rebelled against him in the desert.”] (Hebrews 3:12-15) (Note: The explanation on verse 15 in brackets is taken from the Living Bible Translation (TLB)).

”Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)” (Hebrews 3:10-11).

”Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (Hebrews 4:11).

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

“He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

Verses on the Error of Christians saying they cannot walk uprightly:

Jesus says,

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).

Jesus also says,

"You give glory to my Father when you produce a lot of fruit and therefore show that you are my disciples." (John 15:8 GW).

And Peter says,

"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12 NLT).

Paul says,

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" (Philippians 2:15).

A Short Break-down of Faith and Works in Regards to Salvation:

Ephesians 2:8-9 and Titus 3:5 are basically saying we are not saved by "Works Alone Salvationism." James 2:24 is saying we are not saved by "Belief Alone Salvationism" (or Faith Alone as the Bible says).

Both Ephesians 2 and Titus 3 can be read as talking about "Initial Salvation" and or "Ultimate Salvation"; And not Sanctification (as its primary focus). James 2 can be read as talking about Sanctification as its primary focus; And not "Initial Salvation or Ultimate Salvation.

I believe a person re-reading these chapters honestly in prayer with God will understand this fact.

As for Romans 3, Romans 4, and Galatians 2, Galatians 3:

Well, I believe these are all talking about how we are not to go back to the Old Testament Law of Moses as a whole or "Law Alone Salvationism." Granted, we are to keep the Moral Law (like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet) because these are basics in loving or doing good and they are laws that have been repeated in the New Covenant. For this is why Paul condemned "Circumcision Salvationism." (See Galatians 5:2, cf. Romans 3:1). In fact, in the Jerusalem council in Acts 15, we discover that they addressed the problem of trying to be justified in being circumcised to be saved and or going back to the Law of Moses for salvation (See Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24; Also see Galatians 2:3).

Some people like to think that when Paul uses the word "Law" in a negative way (in regards to salvation), they erroneously think that he is also talking about the Moral Law or in loving your neighbor, too. But Paul says that if a person does certain sins (like the breaking of the Moral Law) in Galatians 5:19-21, and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, they will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

So yes. You actually have to be good as a part of being in God's Kingdom. For if we did not have to live holy as a part of salvation (After being saved by God's grace), then we can be axe murdering rapists who believe on Jesus. But surely that cannot be. For God is good; And His people are good, too.
Preach it brother!!! :)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I only believe it because James says so.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

Jesus says if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17).
If you will read the end of the chapter, the point is not how we cannot keep God's commands so just believe on Jesus, the point was to actually forsake things in our life that is a part of everlasting life. For Zacchaeus had given away half of his goods and Jesus said salvation has come to his house (See Luke 19:1-10).

Paul says if any man loves not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed (1 Corinthians 16:22).
Jesus defines loving him by the fact that He says, if you love me, keep my commandments (See John 14:15 and then John 15:10).

Revelation 22 says,
14 "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

What makes you think that your good works are acceptable to God? Do you believe you've ever produced a good work which is free from the stain of sin?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟844,283.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If we have no good works we demonstrate that we had no true faith. This does not mean that our good works contribute to our justification.
That is John Calvin's position. A life developing in sanctification is a sign of true conversion. His point is that if a person continues habitually in the works of the flesh and does not show a development of the fruit of the Spirit it might very well show that the person has come over the wall instead of through the narrow gate of true conversion.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No offense. I used to believe that we are not saved by works and yet works will be a part of showing a true faith, too. But I realized that I was believing in a contradiction. On the one hand you are saying works are necessary for salvation and yet on the other hand you are saying they are not necessary. Works (and or holiness) are necessary part of the salvation equation or they are not. To truly say we are saved by Belief with no works (and no holiness) is to say that we can live like the devil and still be saved. Seeing that you do not believe that, you believe works are necessary by using a clever indirect explanation that does not really work.

• Informative
Reactions: Frankyy
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟844,283.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think that your good works are acceptable to God? Do you believe you've ever produced a good work which is free from the stain of sin?
The Scripture points out that when we have done everything we can to work for God, we end up as unprofitable servants. This is because we have done only what is required of us, and anything good that has resulted from our labours in Christ is due to the Holy Spirit working through us and equipping us for the work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

One, Faith in God's Word. Two, God's Spirit can convict us of sin.

But if a person believes they can sin and still be saved on some level by saying that a believer is saved on the basis of a belief alone, then that makes them insensitive to sin (and they can be in danger with God without even realizing it).

I also realize that Christ's death (God's grace) was for the purpose of making me holy, blameless (Ephesians 5:25-27) and to be zealous of good works (Titus 2:14). What I believe is in line with Scripture that many Christians today deny. I have asked folks to explain these verses, and their explanations deny the very verses that they quote (Without them even realizing it).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No offense. I used to believe that we are not saved by works and yet works will be a part of showing a true faith, too. But I realized that I was believing in a contradiction. On the one hand you are saying works are necessary for salvation and yet on the other hand you are saying they are not necessary. Works (and or holiness) are necessary part of the salvation equation or they are not. To truly say we are saved by Belief with no works (and no holiness) is to say that we can live like the devil and still be saved. Seeing that you do not believe that, you believe works are necessary by using a clever indirect explanation that does not really work.

Good works are a necessary part of our salvation. I don't believe that anyone denies this. But the Bible allows us to get much more specific and intelligent than this.

The real question is - "Do good works contribute to our justification?" That is, when God accepts us as righteous in his sight, is he doing so on the grounds of our obedience? In other words, does God think that our obedience has measured up to the perfect standard of his Law?

The Biblical answer is no. Even our obedience is imperfect. Our righteousness is like filthy rags to God. God declares us righteous on the grounds of the righteousness of Christ alone. Good works do come from a genuine faith, but these good works are still imperfect, stained by sin, and unacceptable to a holy God. Therefore, they cannot contribute to our justification in any way.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because I realize that Christ's death (God's grace) was for the purpose of making me holy, blameless (Ephesians 5:25-27) and to be zealous of good works (Titus 2:14). What I believe is in line with Scripture that many Christians today deny. I have asked folks to explain these verses, and their explanations deny the very verses that they quote (Without them even realizing it).

So you do believe that God thinks that your works are righteous, measuring up to the perfect standard of his Law?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟844,283.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What James is saying is that if we say we have faith, we need to demonstrate our faith by doing the things that show we have it. Faith is a doing word, it is not a passive state. James gives an indication of how a person demonstrates faith: he says that true religion is to assist widows in their suffering, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. The works mentioned are not doing great things for God, it is conducting oneself according to the fruit of the Spirit and keeping ones body in subjection so that one does not submit to the deeds of the flesh. That is faith in action.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's synergistic. We cooperate with God.
OK, but do the good deeds that a believer performs count towards the prospect of him being saved? You know, bigger acts of charity count for more with God than trivial ones; and if you don't do enough of them, you may not make the grade even as a believer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you do believe that God thinks that your works are righteous, measuring up to the perfect standard of his Law?

Okay first. When Paul talks about the Law he is not talking about the commands given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers. Paul is talking about the Law of Moses as a whole or package deal and Paul is talking about "Law Alone Salvationism" (that did not include God's grace).

When Paul is speaking against the Law in regards to salvation, Paul is fightimg against "Circumcision Salvationism" (Which is in essence saying that you are saved by Law Alone and not grace):

"What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?" (Romans 3:1).

3 "But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:" (Galatians 2:3-4).

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).

In fact, at the Jerusalem counsel they addressed the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism" and in going back to the Law of Moses to be saved.

"And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved." (Acts of the Apostles 15:1).

"But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses." (Acts of the Apostles 15:5).

"Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:" (Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

Paul was not talking about how we are exempt from the "Moral Law" (like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet) in relation to being right with God. For Paul says if any man does those things (like murder, etc.) they will not inherit the Kingdom of God (See Galatians 5:19-21, and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

Second, the good works done in my life are not my works alone, but they are the works of the Lord being done through me. I surrender to Christ and He does the good work. For Jesus says we can do nothing without Him (John 15:5). The works are proof that Jesus lives in us. No Jesus and we have no life (1 John 5:12).

Last edited:
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you say that salvation is by faith plus works, what do you mean?

If salvation means that sins are forgiven, I think there is no requirement. Sins are forgiven by words Jesus told. But Jesus also said, eternal life is for righteous. So, after sins are forgiven, person should become righteous, to get eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

… That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

…Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.

1 John 3:7-10

When person is righteous, it is seen also in the actions. Person who is righteous, is faithful to God, because understands it is good and right.

"The righteous will live by faith."
Galatians 3:11

And, if person is faithful/loyal to God, he works accordingly.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good works are a necessary part of our salvation. I don't believe that anyone denies this. But the Bible allows us to get much more specific and intelligent than this.

The real question is - "Do good works contribute to our justification?" That is, when God accepts us as righteous in his sight, is he doing so on the grounds of our obedience? In other words, does God think that our obedience has measured up to the perfect standard of his Law?

Works are a part of our faith.
For faith without works is dead (James 2:17).

In fact, if we walk in the light as he is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (See 1 John 1:7). Walking in the light is abiding in God and obeying His commands (Compare 1 John 1:5-7 with 1 John 2:3-6).

You said:
The Biblical answer is no. Even our obedience is imperfect.

No sir. That is not the Biblical answer. That is your answer. Jesus tells us to be ye perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect.

You said:
Our righteousness is like filthy rags to God.

Isaiah 64:6 is in context of disobeying God's commands.
For if they obeyed God's commands in being righteous, they would be righteous. For 1 John 3:7 he that does righteousness is righteous refutes this kind of thinking. So the context is clearly they have their own version of righteousness that went outside the view of God's actual commands. This makes sense because we see the Pharisees have their own version of righteousness (like man made traditions, etc.).

You said:
God declares us righteous on the grounds of the righteousness of Christ alone.

The Pharisees believed they were saved on the grounds that they were sons of Abraham. But Jesus rebuked them of their sins. Jesus said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy (See Luke 11:42, and Matthew 23:23). In fact, Jesus said to the Pharisees that the person who is of God hears (obeys) God's word and yet they did not hear (obey) God so they were not of God (John 8:47). John says the same thing. He says in 1 John 3:10 that he that does not righteousness and does not love his brother is not of God. In fact, John says he that does not love his brother is like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them (See 1 John 3:15).

You said:
Good works do come from a genuine faith, but these good works are still imperfect, stained by sin, and unacceptable to a holy God. Therefore, they cannot contribute to our justification in any way.

Not true. You cannot glorify God by sinful works.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16).

Jesus says if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17). Jesus was not actually lying. He actually meant that. Jesus was also not saying this as a way for you to see how you cannot keep His laws, either. The end of Matthew 19 proves the point in how we are to forsake the things within in our life as a part of eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What James is saying is that if we say we have faith, we need to demonstrate our faith by doing the things that show we have it. Faith is a doing word, it is not a passive state. James gives an indication of how a person demonstrates faith: he says that true religion is to assist widows in their suffering, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. The works mentioned are not doing great things for God, it is conducting oneself according to the fruit of the Spirit and keeping ones body in subjection so that one does not submit to the deeds of the flesh. That is faith in action.

Yes, these are a part of the "work of faith" (1 Thessalonians 1:3) (2 Thessalonians 1:11) because faith without works is dead (James 2:17). A dead faith cannot save. For without faith, it is impossible to please God (See Hebrews 11:6). So one needs works as a part of salvation.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,205,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It matters a great deal.

If our good works merit salvation for us then it is no longer by grace. It's something we've partially earned and we have grounds for boasting.

Not if one believes it is Jesus doing the good work within them as Scripture teaches. So all boasting and or praise is given to Jesus. In fact, Paul says that he labored more abundantly, but it was not himself that was doing the laboring alone, but it was the grace of God within him (See 1 Corinthians 15:10).

You said:
But if even our good works are a gracious gift from God, then all glory goes to God and salvation is entirely of God's free grace.

While God does give us the power to become the sons of God and such a thing is a gift, that does not mean we do not have free will and that we can fight against the good works that God desires to do within our life. Sin can still cause separation between God and the believer if such sin is not repented of (i.e. if they do not seek forgiveness of that sin with God). For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (See 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).

You said:
Either God saves us out of free grace or he saves us because we, in part, deserve to be saved.

God does not force anything upon us. We willingly cooperate with the drawing of God when we came to the faith and we cooperate with the drawing of God in the continuation of our faith. It's synergistic. It's a relationship. We are not mindless robots doing God's bidding; Nor do we have a safety net to continue with a mindset that we can sin and still be saved, either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0