Faith and Mental Flexibility (A Metaphorical Way that Faith can Move a “Mountain”)

Sep 25, 2023
Columbus, Ohio
✟3,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following multimedia poem shows how (at least an aspect of) faith involves the mental skill of matching a positive faith-building experience to new life situations, via appreciation of, and use of, meaningful metaphors (in this case, the faith-building experience of climbing a mountain).

Reactions: linux.poet

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I like the poem, though I think that the meter could stand some revision near the end, and the audio was a bit slow at the beginning. Is that footage from Mt. Russell? I actually summited that mountain recently, it was a grueling 29 hour experience that really tested my climbing abilities.

Judging by that experience, I think my faith needs improvement lol. I was anxious and suffering from terrified physical shock the whole way, afraid that I wouldn't be able to make the climb and would be abandoned to die because I was too slow, or I would end up falling to my death. Neither happened, thankfully. I think he's trying to make an analogy between climbing a mountain and the Christian walk through illness - hold on to the handholds in Christ and advance when you can.

Though scripturally faith is more about moving mountains than climbing them.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Columbus, Ohio
✟3,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the poem, though I think that the meter could stand some revision near the end, and the audio was a bit slow at the beginning. Is that footage from Mt. Russell? I actually summited that mountain recently, it was a grueling 29 hour experience that really tested my climbing abilities.

Judging by that experience, I think my faith needs improvement lol. I was anxious and suffering from terrified physical shock the whole way, afraid that I wouldn't be able to make the climb and would be abandoned to die because I was too slow, or I would end up falling to my death. Neither happened, thankfully. I think he's trying to make an analogy between climbing a mountain and the Christian walk through illness - hold on to the handholds in Christ and advance when you can.

Though scripturally faith is more about moving mountains than climbing them.
Hi linex poet,
Not Mt Russell, Capital Peak, Co.
Where is Mt Russell? Sounds like you and I had similar challenges/experiences. Yes older age slowed me down. Plus I had a chronic acid reflux situation that somehow seemed to interfere with breathing. Better now, but sure didn’t need any additional handicaps at thee we time?
I’m interested in learning about Mt Russel. So happy to combine religious and recreational interests that I can share with others. Not to mention POETRY (and I write a few songs too.)

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Columbus, Ohio
✟3,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Linex, poet. This is a preliminary, pieced together, version (ran out of voice before getting a good take) of my most recent song. Possibly the best song I’ve ever written. Seemed Holy Spirit assisted.

Tend the Fire

Too long is the road

to find yourself

if you lose yourself

in the frantic steps you take,

even though you ache

for something real to feel

that you would hold onto.

It may not occur to you

what’s really worth holding onto,

but there’s a path that’s hidden

deep inside.

They say a temple door is guarded

using flames. And most are thwarted,

but the hungry-hearted

sometimes feel so cold

they stumble toward its warmth.

It may not occur to you

How a thing that burns

might turn into something that’s

so wonderful to hold.

Don’t go outside to outrun your fear.

Just tend the fire of the heart hearth here.

(Repeat)

Don’t tighten up

and push the River.

Rest on the banks

of a gracious Giver.

If you push, you’ll just head down

the stream to a murky dream

that bears no fruit you want.

Only whirlpools there

that will confuse you,

will abuse you.

So just stay put,

and sink into the

soft and fertile soil.

The temple has an inner sanctum.

If you enter, thank them.

They will show the way

to the home that you’ve been missing,

merely wishing,

wishing you were there.

It may not occur to you

how love’s been waiting to embrace you

with the arms and fingers

of its fire.

(Repeat)

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Columbus, Ohio
✟3,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lyrics to Tend the Fire:

Tend the Fire

Too long is the road

to find yourself

if you lose yourself

in the frantic steps you take,

even though you ache

for something real to feel

that you would hold onto.

It may not occur to you

what’s really worth holding onto,

but there’s a path that’s hidden

deep inside.

They say a temple door is guarded

using flames. And most are thwarted,

but the hungry-hearted

sometimes feel so cold

they stumble toward its warmth.

It may not occur to you

How a thing that burns

might turn into something that’s

so wonderful to hold.

(Repeat)

Don’t tighten up

and push the River.

Rest on the banks

of a gracious Giver.

If you push, you’ll just head down

the stream to a murky dream

that bears no fruit you want.

Only whirlpools there

that will confuse you,

will abuse you.

So just stay put,

and sink into the

soft and fertile soil.

The temple has an inner sanctum.

If you enter, thank them.

They will show the way

to the home that you’ve been missing,

merely wishing,

wishing you were there.

It may not occur to you

how love’s been waiting to embrace you

with the arms and fingers

of its fire.

(Repeat)

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Where is Mt Russell? Sounds like you and I had similar challenges/experiences. Yes older age slowed me down. Plus I had a chronic acid reflux situation that somehow seemed to interfere with breathing. Better now, but sure didn’t need any additional handicaps at thee we time?
I’m interested in learning about Mt Russel.
Mount Russell is in California, in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

IMG_0060.JPEG

IMG_0064.JPEG

One of the features of the climb up is a scramble across a ridge, called the East Ridge. The second picture is not the actual route, instead the opposite direction, but it should be helpful to understand the why I mistook your footage for footage of Russell.

I'm young (ish) at 29, but I still got scraped up. Genetically our family has bad knees, and my brother got some altitude sickness on our way out. It wasn't fun, but I'm glad that I made it up. Having a tough physical accomplishment done helped me feel more confident in body and mind.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Columbus, Ohio
✟3,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing. Yes, confidence is a big part of faith, although a confidence that is aided by a deeper Source (God) than personal ego. And mountain climbing reminds us that we have those hidden, unknown, potentials that can become actualized with a little faith. That really is what my multi media poem was about—our ability to tap into the Unknown (God), and how, when we do, it builds faith even more. In this panenthiestic, Supranatural, God-through, manner our faith is developed. It doesn’t necessarily take actual mountains, but metaphorical “mountains” (challenges) in life to build real faith. Trust yes, but not also without confidence that God helps build in us. I want a Christianity that is empowering, not just dependency on Authority. The authoritarian model of Christianity is hurting our brand, big time. And is aiding and abetting an anti democracy movement politically. Sin theology was wrong if it means we are defined by sin, that we ARE sinners. Certainly, we do sin, fall short often, but we are naturally connected to the divine, unless we artificially disconnect ourselves by dependency on an authoritarian god (a false god).

Upvote 0