Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook Photo Of Plymouth Woman At Tomb Of The Unknowns Sparks Outrage

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rion, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Rion

Rion Love the puppy; obey the puppy

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Facebook Photo Of Plymouth Woman At Tomb Of The Unknowns Sparks Outrage « CBS Boston

Natural selection at work? :p

2. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Humanist
    It doesn't matter. Keep paying her and tell everyone to get over it. Maybe it is disrespectful, but it shouldn't be a big issue.

3. As disrespectful as it is, her workplace shouldn't care what she does in her own time. As long as she isn't in her work uniform or doing anything to identify herself as an employee of the company, they have no right to force an unpaid leave over something she did that was entirely unrelated to the company.

4. Rion

Rion Love the puppy; obey the puppy

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Depends, actually. If I say anything that identifies me as an employee of my company online, I can be terminated.

5. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Unscrewer of the Inscrutable

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    For the trillionth time, the internet is public people!

6. Skaloop

Skaloop Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-NDP
    Faith:
    Atheist
  7. Skaloop

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-NDP
    Faith:
    Atheist
    The post you quoted said exactly that.

Did she identify herself as an employee of any specific company?

8. explodingboy

explodingboy Guest

Unfortunately social media and other exciting new forms of comunication means you doesn't have to identify herself by her employee before someone makes the connection for her.

9. keith99

keith99 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Uh, this is worse than having somethgin that allows their employeer to be identified. They basically did this at work!

10. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    It's the negative publicity that this brings to her company that got her fired.

11. chilipepper

chilipepper Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I think the employer is totally within their right to fire her. People need to learn that everything you post online is public and a reflection of you. It's the same as when people were posting racist things after Obama won, and then got fired. If a company doesn't want such a disrespectful woman working for them, they absolutely should fire her.

12. katautumn

katautumn Wandering, not lost.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Well, it was definitely a stupid, thoughtless and disrespectful thing to do; however, I think it was more of a sarcastic response to the sign rather than intentional disrespect toward the fallen soldiers. I do agree that her behavior should have consequences. After all, she was doing this while on a business trip representing the company she works for.

What I find more disturbing are all of the comments about how she should be raped, gang beaten, that people hopes she gets a cancer that will render her sterile so she can't have any children. I mean, since when did being a dumb wise acre warrant being raped or beaten to death?

13. I see what you're saying. I had missed the part about them being on a trip with work. I think it really is fair.

14. Skaloop

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-NDP
    Faith:
    Atheist
    OK, if she was there as part of a work outing, that's different.

And (this is not directed at you specifically Keith) people keep saying how Facebook and other social media is public. So is the street. If someone is walking down the street and does something disrespectful/obscene/unprofessional in front of the general sidewalk-walking public, is that grounds for dismissal?

15. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Unscrewer of the Inscrutable

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Since internet comments came into existence. Posting "I love puppies" can garner threats of death by gang rape these days.

16. keith99

keith99 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Depends a lot on just how disrespectful, the job involved and how direct the tie to your employer is and for that matter the impact on hte employer.

In this case it is working with the disabled, I assume that includes those with mental deficiencies. That raises issues regarding the suitability for the position in this instance.

I've been involved with activities that are not looked on well by many. In htat setting teachers, lawyers and many other professionals that i know of were very very careful.

Honsstly I'd even look at things very differently if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy if something involves a position where judgement is expected. Posting somethgin on the internet shows poor judgement. Having the same thing get out because someone with a 2000 telephoto lens got a picture is a bit different.

17. katautumn

katautumn Wandering, not lost.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Well, I've always said the internet can be used for great things, and it can be used for really awful things. The fact that people will hide behind the anonymity of a computer monitor and say the most vile things is so disheartening. I don't always comes across the way I should online, especially when irritated, but I cannot fathom ever saying things online that I wouldn't say to someone's face when confronted with the same situation or discussion.

18. chilipepper

chilipepper Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    The Internet is different because every comment you make and every picture you post is preserved forever. Nothing ever dies. There will always be a record of your drunken photos or racist comments. It is hardcore proof. If someone comes to the employer and says they heard any employee say something, it would be hard to fire them without proof. If that same person brings a printout, it's easier to be sure of what happened.

19. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 It's amazing what we take for granted Staff Member Supervisor Supporter Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Wow, really,they were put on unpaid leave because of this? Talk about overkill?

20. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 It's amazing what we take for granted Staff Member Supervisor Supporter Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    While this is true, what you do outside of work like on vacation really shouldn't affect whether the company keeps you or not. What you do ON the job is what you should be judged on.