Explanation for the Biblical flood and acceptance of the Bible doctrine on origins

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is pretty normal to find that people who accept God's account for that history in the Bible never come up with "bible objections".

Objections to things like
1. The virgin birth
2. the literal resurrection of Christ
3. The miracles of Christ
4. The flood account
5. The creation account in Gen 1-2 and also in Ex 20:11

never come from the Bible. They are always something external to the Bible with a very different world view trying to "adjust" the Bible account - very often "by a lot".

Those who embrace the historic account we find in scripture will love that video -- others probably won't watch ... each one has free will and can choose as they wish.
Great post. The seven day creation week is literal and historically accurate. When examined by true science, that is evidence based, we see no evidence for evolution but plenty of evidence for a flood. That is ignored by modern scientists because they would lose their funding and academic rank of they spoke out.
It is up to philosophers and theologians to show them their error. The idea of Sabbath rest is beautiful. God stopped His work of creation and saw that it was very good. He stopped His work of creation, and began His work of providence, as Jesus said the Father works and I work.
The Sabbath will never be forgotten, changed or degraded or ignored. Jesus said that not one drop or one tittle of the law is stricken until all is fulfilled
On the cross, Jesus said it is finished. The work of redemption is complete and the Old Covenant is past and we have the New Covenant
In the book of acts, we learn that gentiles are not commanded to live as Jews, yet they share in eternal life through Christ Our Lord

I have a video for you to watch, it is called Foundations Restored. I would like you to watch and show me where it is in error. I would even buy the access for you to view it. Like you said, you have free will and most will not watch, but if you cared about my soul and the souls of others you would watch to correct the error

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There are flood stories in many civilizations, and we see it in the language. The Chinese character for boat combines three elements of vessel, eight and mouth. There were eight souls on the ark, Noah and his wife, Seth, Ham, and Japheth and their wives. Interesting that Chinese, a civilization unrelated to Judaism would have a similar flood account unless it really happened.
We can also look at the science of sedimentary rock, fossils and plate tectonics to see the data more consistent with a world wide flood as told in Genesis rather than the millions of years proposed by naturalists

I really liked I the video where he described the concept of genetic entropy. I don’t think he named it, but the concept is the same.
Our genetics and intelligence are degrading over time, not improving as evolution would have it.
Proof? I am a reasonably intelligent man with a degree, big deal. Do I know how to live off the land like my ancestors did just a couple hundred years ago? I would probably starve
Modern technology has caused us to grow soft and turn our minds to fantasy rather than the real world around us. Kids prefer the fantasy world of video games, to the real world. We can see the spiritual and physical damage this causes

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bryan Sykes extracted DNA from the tooth of Chedder man who lived 9,000 years ago.

View attachment 328322
To you I ask the question that Job got. Were you there? Is Cheddar man really 9000 years old or is it more like a hundred or so? There are plenty of problems with radioactive dating

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are flood stories in many civilizations, and we see it in the language. The Chinese character for boat combines three elements of vessel, eight and mouth.
I know a little Chinese.

Characters belonging to these series are generally phono-semantic compounds, where the character is composed of a semantic element (or radical) and a sound-based element, encoding information about the meaning and the pronunciation respectively.[2]

For example, the character is composed of the semantic component 'water' and the sound component (believed to have been pronounced something like *ba). Thus, 波 represents a word which has to do with water and was pronounced something like *ba. In fact, the word which 波 represents means 'wave' and was pronounced like *pa in Middle Chinese.

By grouping together characters with the same sound component into a xiesheng series, one is able to compare words that were perceived to be quite similar in pronunciation at the time that the characters for these words were invented.

Another "just-so" story, but it won't fly.

We can also look at the science of sedimentary rock, fossils and plate tectonics to see the data more consistent with a world wide flood as told in Genesis rather than the millions of years proposed by naturalists
Genesis does not mention a global flood. I'd be interested in what you think the best evidence for a global flood is. What do you have?

We can also look at the science of sedimentary rock, fossils and plate tectonics to see the data more consistent
The problem is energy. You see, the energy to accelerate crustal plates to move thousands of miles in a few years, and then to accelerate them back to the observed rate would have to be removed as heat. The Ark would have been steam-cooked. Would you like to see some numbers?

To you I ask the question that Job got. Were you there?
The notion that we can't know anything we weren't there to see is so absurd, I'm surprised that anyone still tries that as an argument. BTW, there are other ways to get an approximate date for Cheddar man. Should we discuss those?

Our genetics and intelligence are degrading over time, not improving as evolution would have it.
Flynn effect...
As Flynn discussed in his Ted Talk in 2013, human civilization has seen a big increase in IQ over time, as every generation gets more and more questions right on IQ tests (Flynn, 2013). He explains that “if you score the people a century ago against modern norms, they would have an average IQ of 70. If you score us against their norms, we would have an average IQ of 130” (Flynn, 2013).

BTW evolutionary theory does not predict that every population will get smarter. It can happen. But the opposite can happen. There's an interesting study, which concluded that dogs are less intelligent than wolves, because wolves, when presented with a task to get to some food, tend to rely on themselves, while dogs will attempt to recruit a human to help them. Seems to me that the dog is actually smarter; "Hey you with the thumbs! Need you to open this box, please." Humans are kind a of Swiss Army knife for dogs.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You need to see the movie Nefarious, you are playing right into his hands, and what you say has nothing to do with Christianity

You were not there, and what is written down, you do not believe. The “you were not there”argument is used by God Himself. Are you calling Him absurd? If so, then why are you in a Christian forum? You do know that the Earth is 25,000 miles around, right ? When Mt St Helen’s blew up in 1980, some were steam cooked, but I was alive then, and I did not die, hmmm. You would think that the God of the universe who decided to destroy the Earth with water could protect one little boat thousands of miles away, but you claim to know better.
A volcano erupts it blots out the sun. When Krakatoa blew up in 1883 we had a volcanic winter. Heat is dissipated by water and lack of sunlight. You can even see the shock wave of the plates crashing, the Himalayas are the tallest mountains where the greatest impact occurred, as we move east we get the Rockies and the Appalachians each with diminished height as the energy of impact decreased and there is the line of the crack in the Atlantic Ocean where it started
We don’t have maps of the Antediluvian Earth, but the one we have now lines up with a major event
We can believe God, who shows forth Himself by rising from the dead and validating His scripture, or we can listen to the musings of some that disbelieve God and think it is science when it is not

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You were not there, and what is written down, you do not believe.
I just accept it as it is.
You do know that the Earth is 25,000 miles around, right ? When Mt St Helen’s blew up in 1980,
Were you there? The “you were not there”argument is used by God Himself. Are you calling Him absurd?
some were steam cooked, but I was alive then, and I did not die, hmmm. You would think that the God of the universe who decided to destroy the Earth with water could protect one little boat thousands of miles away,
You don't get the scale of the the Earth. We're talking about a huge amount of energy required to accelerate entire continents to tens of miles per day and then slow them again to centimeters per year. All of that would have to be released as heat. It wouldn't be just a few square miles. The entire Earth's surface would be boiling hot.

Heat is dissipated by water and lack of sunlight.

Water has a huge specific heat. But it wouldn't matter. Continents are about 40 miles deep. The oceans average less than a mile deep. Specific heat of granite (continents are mostly granite) is about 0.8. Water is a bit over 4.1. So a bit over 5 times the capacity of granite, with 15 times as much rock as water (I can get the precise ratio for you, if you like). No matter how you cut it, it won't work.
You can even see the shock wave of the plates crashing, the Himalayas are the tallest mountains where the greatest impact occurred, as we move east we get the Rockies and the Appalachians each with diminished height as the energy of impact decreased and there is the line of the crack in the Atlantic Ocean where it started

No, that's wrong. It's just that the collision of India into Asia is continuing. The Himalayas are still rising a few centimeters a year. The Appalachians were once that high. And there have been higher mountains...

Scientists find lost 'supermountains' four times longer than Himalayas

Stretching up to 8,000 kilometers across, they were nearly four times the length of the present-day Himalayan ranges and formed twice in Earth's history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok let’s establish some facts. Number one, no one alive today was alive when the Earth was formed and saw exactly how that was accomplished.
Evolution is a speculative idea, but modern academics are loath to admit that. They have to portray their line as established fact and allow no uncertainty. To accomplish this they take some data but don’t present the data for critique, they have some compliant news organization state that two large ancient mountain ranges are found, but what they really say is that zircon and lutetium content were analyzed leading them to believe that they found ancient mountains.
If they were honest, the data would be presented for all to see, but we don’t get that. This leads me to think that there is a secondary motive other than science. Why the sensational headlines? Looks like they want people convinced and all dissent crushed. That is not science.
The other thing that I read in “science” papers is that “evolution is the foundation of all biology”
That is a demonstrably false statement is you accept the meaning if “foundation”, as something upon which a structure rests and if it were not present, the structure would completely fall.
That is not true. I can understand biology, work in the science field, understand genetics and natural selection without ever accepting the claims of evolutionists. Evolution is just one interpretation of existing data, nothing more. I believe that there is an alternate reason for the observed data. If you think that I am wrong, then other people are idiots, because they are paying me a lot of money to do it. Other than you agreeing with me, and having you feel that I have succumbed to science, what benefit do I have in accepting evolution? Does it help me do my job? No. Would it help me to do my job better? No, there are no evolutionary principles that would enable me to understand human physiology more than I do now; oh I could always use more education but that would be from observed data, not evolutionary speculation.
You say that I don’t appreciate how God made the Earth. That is ignorant and untrue. I appreciate God’s handiwork everyday, but I don’t need evolution to do it.
I suppose that if I were an academic professor seeking grant money, it may be easier to secure R01 grant money if I spewed the evolutionary line, but that is not the case. That only makes evolution an echo chamber and alleged scientists sell outs, because no one wants to stop the flow of money. Sorry, not interested.

What do we have? Most of us accept that we are mortal and have only a few short years on this Earth. 100 years is pretty much nothing. There is the testimony of the Resurrection and He established a Church that still exists today, and when He spoke of the scriptures, He did not present them as story or allegory but fact. His divinity and power over life and death does give Him a little more credibility than today’s so called scientists. There is much more profit for eternity in studying the virtues and how to obtain them, than spending one second thinking about evolution. It just not worth it.
Theistic evolution is a losing game also. They don’t realize it but it tends to render God impotent and creation as all mighty. Kind of like money, the love of which is called the root of all evil is referred to as the almighty dollar, so evolution likes to refer to itself as almighty. It’s natural selection, man; we sprung from nature, no god needed, it just is. No thanks, I’ll look somewhere else for answers to my existence.

What are the fruits of evolution? First we had social Darwinism and the dog eat dog world mentality, then we had the destruction of all sexual morality, as rather than a gift of God for the procession of children, it had been reduced to animal lust looking for satisfaction. Since we allegedly came from animals, the dignity of the animal is often placed above the human. Society has degenerated to Marxist mentality which results in the destruction of the human spirit for the collective and eventually the elimination of religion as fairy story. Does not sound like a position that I want to take.

Does not look like I will convince you, but that is not my created function. That is between you and the Holy Spirt, but remember when God said, my Spirit will not always strive with man. There are those that believe, and those that won’t listen no matter how much is said and by whom

We are in God’s sabbath, there is no new creation in nature and no new churches. We have one Lord, one Faith, one baptism, one forgiveness of sins. May God bless you and call you to Himself.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok let’s establish some facts. Number one, no one alive today was alive when the Earth was formed and saw exactly how that was accomplished.
Fortunately, physical events leave evidence that can tell us about them.
Evolution is a speculative idea
It's an observed phenomenon. I think you've confused the phenomenon with the theory that explains it, or some agency of evolution, like natural selection, or some consequence of evolution like common descent. But evolution is an observed fact. Do you remember what the scientific definition of biological evolution is?

If they were honest, the data would be presented for all to see, but we don’t get that.
YE creationist Kurt Wise, for example showed us a great deal of the evidence.

Would you like to see some in more detail?

The other thing that I read in “science” papers is that “evolution is the foundation of all biology”
Hmm... In the sense, I suppose that thermal energy is the foundation for all meteorology. But I never read that in a peer-reviewed paper. Do you have a link?

I believe that there is an alternate reason for the observed data. If you think that I am wrong
Almost all biologists think you are wrong, but it's not dishonest to prefer your religious beliefs to the evidence.
You say that I don’t appreciate how God made the Earth.
That has nothing whatever to do with evolution. If God had instead chosen to just poof the world into existence, evolution would work exactly the way we see it working now.
I suppose that if I were an academic professor seeking grant money, it may be easier to secure R01 grant money if I spewed the evolutionary line
I notice that anti-Darwinians like Michael Denton, Todd Wood, and others have no difficulty with getting grants. I took my first graduate course in immunology from a tenured professor who was a YE creationist.

He established a Church that still exists today, and when He spoke of the scriptures, He did not present them as story or allegory but fact.
Actually Jesus never said whether any particular part of scripture was allegory or fact. He never told us that He was telling parables. Do you see why?
There is much more profit for eternity in studying the virtues and how to obtain them, than spending one second thinking about evolution.
The discoverer of penicillin warned that natural selection would cause the evolution of resistant bacteria. He was correct. Antibiotic protocols are based on evolutionary theory, designed to minimize natural selection on pathogens.

Theistic evolution is a losing game also.
That is a religious belief that accepts God's creation as it is.

They don’t realize it but it tends to render God impotent and creation as all mighty.
Seems to me that a God who creates a few simple rules and thereby causes the universe to develop according to His will is far more powerful and wise than some little Middle Eastern godling who prances around, making a tree here, and a rabbit there. We have some evidence that this is a better way. Engineers have started copying evolutionary processes to solve problems too complicated to be solved by design. Genetic algorithms which mimic Darwinian evolution actually work better and more efficiently than design. Turns out, God knew best, after all.

What are the fruits of evolution?
The diversity of life we see around us.
First we had social Darwinism and the dog eat dog world mentality
Darwin, in The Descent of Man denounced such thinking, declaring that to even let the weakest among us perish would be an "overwhelming evil." Scientists will tell you that nature is a very bad place to look for ethics and morality.

then we had the destruction of all sexual morality
I'm thinking that sexual immorality was widespread well before evolution was discovered. In fact, in many places it was worse than it is now.

Society has degenerated to Marxist mentality
Actually, Marxists in the Soviet Union banned Darwin's theory. Soviet biology is still recovering from that debacle. It's an interesting story, complete with agricultural disasters. Would you like to hear about it?

Does not look like I will convince you, but that is not my created function.
Neither of us will change the other. But there are lots of people here who have not decided, and these talks give them some evidence and reasoning to consider. So it's been a fruitful discussion.

That is between you and the Holy Spirt, but remember when God said, my Spirit will not always strive with man.
This is why the Church, while acknowledging the evidence for evolution and the origin of mankind, does not require one to believe any particular theory, so long as God is acknowledged as the Creator. We only slip into error when we insist that one or another of those positions is Christian orthodoxy.

We have one Lord, one Faith, one baptism, one forgiveness of sins. May God bless you and call you to Himself.
We can agree on that. And may God also bless you.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are the one that brought up Jer 4 -- as if it referred to a judgment in the past. I simply point out that with the ruined cities etc - it points to the future not the past.

Jeremiah used Genesis 1:2 to relate back to the past disaster as an example. A prophesy about a future event that was to be a near-repeat of what happened the first time. Total disaster.

I will take my time with you from now on.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Noah's literal flood was local or the Bible uses the word: "Adamah" which means Eden. The plants and animals that Noah saved were domesticated. All the plants and animals in Eden.

Adamah means "earth." Its from where we derived the name Adam, who's body was made from the elements of the earth.

Adam and Eve were kicked out of, and blocked reentry, to the area designated the "Garden of Eden."

There was plenty of vegetation outside of the Garden. The whole earth was filled with trees and plants.

Why you want to think Noah was in the Garden of Eden confuses me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are things that science can not prove. Science can not disprove them also. For example the idea that people lived to be 1000 years before Noah's flood. It is possible that aging is a disease and it is possible that people did live longer back then. We have never found the remains of a person who has aged past the age of 30. So the evidence does indicate that the Bible is true in this regard.

I have known scientists. They do not think like you in regards to Scripture. You are not free to speculate like you have been if you know certain truths that should steer your thinking to avoid human viewpoint and miss what can be discovered.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have known scientists.
What does that have to do with anything. I am talking about a method. In fact your skeptics all of a sudden throw the scientific method out the window when they try to argue against the Bible. Because logic and reason show us the Bible is true. Even though some of the word of God, we accept on faith, a lot of the Bible can be proven and there is NOTHING in the Bible that anyone can falsify. I have seen LOTS of people try, but they always fail in their attempt to disprove the Bible.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What does that have to do with anything. I am talking about a method. In fact your skeptics all of a sudden throw the scientific method out the window when they try to argue against the Bible. Because logic and reason show us the Bible is true. Even though some of the word of God, we accept on faith, a lot of the Bible can be proven and there is NOTHING in the Bible that anyone can falsify. I have seen LOTS of people try, but they always fail in their attempt to disprove the Bible.
Not really... The moldy boulder science throws in the middle of the road can indicate that the understanding of the Scriptures of too many Christians is not accurate.

A perfect example of that is how the young earth creationist's mindset fails to see the riches in the Bible that shows the Bible indicated a prehistoric creation long before scientists began gathering data to see there was one. What a lost opportunity!

Its why we have been losing out more and more on God's blessings as secularism takes over with its dogmatic speculations concerning evolution, etc. For the Holy Spirit will not back up believers with power to change things unless its sound doctrine being brought into the light.

Upvote 0