Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
The illusion of design is so successful that to this day most Americans (including, significantly, many influential and rich Americans) stubbornly refuse to believe it is an illusion. To such people, if a heart (or an eye or a bacterial flagellum) looks designed, that’s proof enough that it is designed. Richard Dawkins. http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/05-11-23/
Dawkins has said this in his books as well. I can get you more from him if you like.
He was trying to explain to people who did not understand just how badly informed some Americans are, he was saying they would believe in incredible things if it made them feel good, saying that they did not need evidence they just told themselves it was true and they were somehow able to believe it.

He was talking to people who did not believe these things were possible, stone age beliefs alive and well in the 21st century outside of the Amazon basin in a 1st world civilised democracy, he was talking about people like you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Materialists say that.
Just because biologists see design and label it an illusion and others believe them is their problem not mine.
The elements that have the appearance of design.

Where is the evidence that they were actually designed?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The illusion of design is so successful that to this day most Americans (including, significantly, many influential and rich Americans) stubbornly refuse to believe it is an illusion. To such people, if a heart (or an eye or a bacterial flagellum) looks designed, that’s proof enough that it is designed. Richard Dawkins. http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/05-11-23/
Dawkins has said this in his books as well. I can get you more from him if you like.

The illusion of shapes in the starry night sky was so believable that people thought they were bright gems put into a hard firmament by the gods. The very reason we have the scientific method is to get past these human biases that see intent and design where there is none.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,448.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
He was trying to explain to people who did not understand just how badly informed some Americans are, he was saying they would believe in incredible things if it made them feel good, saying that they did not need evidence they just told themselves it was true and they were somehow able to believe it.

He was talking to people who did not believe these things were possible, stone age beliefs alive and well in the 21st century outside of the Amazon basin in a 1st world civilised democracy, he was talking about people like you.

I think this is a fitting quote:

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have got that wrong, show me some evidence that a God exists and I will believe in him/her,
show me some evidence that fairies exist and I will believe in them, and so on..
You wouldn't interpret the evidence in any other way than what your materialistic worldview will allow. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,448.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, Dawkins telling the truth amongst the deceit spread by creationists is a revolutionary act.

I like this phrase a bit better as it is less easily misinterpreted by those who see themselves as intellectually superior:

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is ridiculed.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He is an atheist that wants to indoctrinate others by his position to believe that natural selection can do magic. We know the molecular machines we find in the simplest life forms are so incredible that even as technologically advanced we are we can not come close to producing anything like them.

The truth is that the American people are not aware of the complexity and purposeful function involved in living forms and they are being led to believe that NS is able to produce it without any evidence of that at all.

He was talking to people who did not believe these things were possible, stone age beliefs alive and well in the 21st century outside of the Amazon basin in a 1st world civilised democracy, he was talking about people like you.[/QUOTE

No, actually he was talking to people like you who have a materialistic worldview who want to believe that they have no authority above them. You all fall for it, hook line and sinker.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like this phrase a bit better as it is less easily misinterpreted by those who see themselves as intellectually superior:

Comforting lies, or inconvenient truths, tells it better.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They worship the created rather than the Creator.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The illusion of shapes in the starry night sky was so believable that people thought they were bright gems put into a hard firmament by the gods. The very reason we have the scientific method is to get past these human biases that see intent and design where there is none.
Can you see me rolling my eyes?

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

carl-sagan-scientist-quote-but-the-fact-that-some-geniuses-were.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.