Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Shaving your beard.... that's just good hygiene.
A beard is less hygenic then a public toilet seat.
Not actually true.

The report about beard filth was based on some pretty shoddy reasoning. Bacteria who naturally live on and in humans are found in fecal matter... and shockingly also found in our beards.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't shaving go against evolutionary thinking?

If we came from hairy creatures that hung around caves and hit women over the head with clubs and drug them home to be their wives, aren't we going against nature when we shave?
I assume you're talking about Neanderthals. These misconceptions about them are outdated.

Also, we didn't come just from them, and Africans aren't descended from them at all. They interbred with modern humans who were migrating out of Africa, and then they died out. Europeans and Asians have 2-4% Neanderthal DNA.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I assume you're talking about Neanderthals.
Troglodytes.
Cearbhall said:
These misconceptions about them are outdated.
I wasn't aware Neanderthals had the same reputation as Troglodytes.
Cearbhall said:
Also, we didn't come just from them, and Africans aren't descended from them at all. They interbred with modern humans who were migrating out of Africa, and then they died out. Europeans and Asians have 2-4% Neanderthal DNA.
The Neanderthals, in my opinion, were human beings that God placed one of His "wonderful plagues" upon.[VERSE=Deuteronomy 28:59,KJV]Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.[/VERSE]These bone-altering plagues would deface a human and make him look grotesque.

David may have died of one -- (Psalm 38) -- and if his bones were dug up today, he would be mistaken for either a Neanderthal or Cro-magnon.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
You are creating the appearance of being young even though you are not young. It's deceiving.
Isn't that par for the course in religion? the deception of the believer is the cornerstone of all religions, what all religious people believe is limited only by the imagination of other believers.

Creationists are not taught "about" evolution they are only taught that it is the enemy of their religion, they are then told to go to creationist websites and repeat what they read as told to them by other people who were also not taught "about" evolution,
it's not so much the blind leading the blind it's more like the deceived/decievers leading the deceived.

If you intend to fight the devil would it not be a good idea to learn as much as you can about the devil before hand?

For creationists it's like taking a knife to a gunfight, only an idiot would knowingly do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you intend to fight the devil would it not be a good idea to learn as much as you can about the devil before hand?
No.[VERSE=Jude 1:9,KJV]Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.[/VERSE]

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How about "misleading" or "deceiving"?

Not in the slightest.
What should a 35-year old do if he simply has no facial hair? Wear a sign around his neck saying "I'm not really 28, but 35"?
What about a 50-year old who runs marathons and has the body of an athlete? Is that also "deceiving"? Middle-aged people can't do sports either then?

And why does age even matter anyway?
What possible harm could come from people mistakingly thinking that I am a few years older or younger then I am?
If they wish to know my age, they can always ask me.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
If we came from hairy creatures.
There is no "If" about it we did come from hairy creatures, goose bumps are conclusive evidence of that, they made the hair on our bodies stand on end so we could keep ourselves warm, we do not control goose bumps they are a simple reflex action triggered because of how we once were, the hair may be gone but our reaction to the cold remains the same.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no "If" about it we did come from hairy creatures, goose bumps are conclusive evidence of that, they made the hair on our bodies stand on end so we could keep ourselves warm, we do not control goose bumps they are a simple reflex action triggered because of how we once were, the hair may be gone but our reaction to the cold remains the same.
If goose bumps say we came from hairy creatures, what do hiccups say we came from? kangaroos?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
If goose bumps say we came from hairy creatures, what do hiccups say we came from? kangaroos?
There is no evidence of that but the evidence of why we have goose bumps is overwhelming, but of course that means nothing to you because you are blind to everything other than what you want to believe.

For all of your bravado I find it strange that you are not sufficiently sure of your faith to be able to watch something like this:

I can watch anything and be sure I will not be affected because there is nothing out there that contradicts what I know to be true, you unfortunately can not say that.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I guess I'm lucky but if I had to deliberately stop myself from watching or listening to an opposing view I might begin to wonder if what I believed was as true as I was lead to believe.

I once talked to someone who said they were not afraid of the dark because they kept their eyes shut all night so they would not see how dark it really was.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When a human wishes to show submission, he shaves.

People with facial hair are considered less trustworthy.
If you goal is to be considered more trustworthy and
respected, then you shave.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no evidence of that but the evidence of why we have goose bumps is overwhelming,

Each hair follicle has a muscle attached that pumps to transfer
oil to the surface of the skin. It works hard when you get cold
to help oil the surface and reduce evaporation.

folliculus_pili.jpg
http://img.tfd.com/dorland/thumbs/folliculus_pili.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People with facial hair are considered less trustworthy.
If you goal is to be considered more trustworthy and respected, then you shave.
My goal would not be to be considered more trustworthy it would be to be more trustworthy. And it would not be my goal to be respected by others as much as to have self-respect.
And I have little respect for those who form judgments on the basis of appearances.

:wave:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My goal would not be to be considered more trustworthy it would be to be more trustworthy. And it would not be my goal to be respected by others as much as to have self-respect.
And I have little respect for those who form judgments on the basis of appearances.

You mean girls. Yuk!

duck-dynasty.jpg

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are a person, I see, who makes unwarranted assumptions about what I mean.

100% of my day. As does everyone.
"Unwarranted" assumptions are typically
swept up in the tidal wave of "warranted"
assumptions people use all day long to
survive in society.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gracchus said:
Shaving became popular when Alexander "the Great" wanted to look younger
Anyone who shaves to look younger is lying.
I am proof that statement is erroneous.......

2Sa 10:4
Therefore Hanun took David's servants, shaved off half of their beards, cut off their garments in the middle, at their buttocks, and sent them away.

images

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.