Evidence that homosexuality is a choice

M

MrPirate

Evidence that homosexuality is a choice
Well is there any?
The suggestion for this topic came up in another thread. Though the person claiming evidence that homosexuality is a choice exists he was, for some reason, unwilling to actually share that evidence.
So, for all those who like to claim homosexuality is a choice…put your cards on the table. Prove it.
And jus to keep this thread from spiraling too far off course, some basic definitions:

Sexual orientation - individual's sexuality, romantic interests, fantasies, attachments and longings usually conceived of as classifiable according to the gender of the persons that the individual finds sexually and romantically attractive. The most commonly categories of sexual orientation:
heterosexuality (being sexually attracted to members of the opposite sex),
homosexuality (being sexually attracted to members of the same sex)
bisexuality (being sexually attracted to members of either sex)

please not that sexual orientionis different from sexual behavior.

Evidence - for this thread evidence would consist of studies published in peer reviewed journals will suffice. Unsupported claims of various websites and organizations are not evidence. Claims published in Blogs are not evidence of anything except somebody has at lot of free time.

Choice – An active conscious decision made by an individual.

One last thing. Attacking other theories about the origin of homosexuality is not evidence that homosexuality is a choice.
We here just to discuss “choice” and the evidence that supports it.

So…lets see that evidence that homosexuality is a choice.

TheFathersDaughter

The Revolution has Started
Mar 3, 2007
✟9,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
It is a choice.

So is heterosexuality.

So is any sexuality as a matter of fact.

Because ATTRACTION is the poster child for lust. And sin, while we may be born INTO it, we can overcome it. Otherwise God wouldn't be so harsh on sinners. (It would be like sending people to hell because they're born with blue eyes).

No UNION, monogamous union is fine.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

It is a choice.

So is heterosexuality.

So is any sexuality as a matter of fact.

Because ATTRACTION is the poster child for lust. And sin, while we may be born INTO it, we can overcome it. Otherwise God wouldn't be so harsh on sinners. (It would be like sending people to hell because they're born with blue eyes).

No UNION, monogamous union is fine.
The difference being that action is not orientation.

What is the evidence that sexual oriention, specifically homosexuality, is a choice?

Upvote 0

TheFathersDaughter

Mar 3, 2007
✟9,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

Attraction is perfectly normal and healthy. If it weren't for attraction our race wouldn't even exist.

The choice is whether to be sexually active or not - regardless of what you are attracted to.
As stated in the OP…action is not the same as orientation.

Gentleman A is a heterosexual whether he is mowing the lawn or romancing his wife. He was a heterosexual before he ever had sex

The question remains. Where is the evidence that homosexuals chose to be homosexual?

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The fact that WorldNetDaily is hardly an accurate news source aside.

I can name FAR more straights that became gay.

The only reason gays to straight is more publicized is people decided homosexuality is something to make fun of.
yes, and your point is agreeing with mine. Except for the part about homosexuality being made fun of. I don't see how that has anything to do with it.

Also, the article I posted is quoted from the guys own words. The story is also in other sources.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheFathersDaughter

Mar 3, 2007
✟9,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
The difference being that action is not orientation.

What is the evidence that sexual oriention, specifically homosexuality, is a choice?

How do you define orientation then? Because I thought orientation was specific attraction to a certain gender.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

How do you define orientation then? Because I thought orientation was specific attraction to a certain gender.
Orientation IS a attraction to a specific gender….but attraction is not an action.

And the answer to your question is in the OP…

Sexual orientation -
individual's sexuality, romantic interests, fantasies, attachments and longings usually conceived of as classifiable according to the gender of the persons that the individual finds sexually and romantically attractive. The most commonly categories of sexual orientation:
heterosexuality (being sexually attracted to members of the opposite sex),
homosexuality (being sexually attracted to members of the same sex)
bisexuality (being sexually attracted to members of either sex)
please not that sexual orientation is different from sexual behavior.

Upvote 0

lostinWA

Jun 11, 2007
Mabton, WA
✟15,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am shocked and confused that we are here on a board to debate a serious issue and yet no one is actually debating instead we are quibbling over what the meaning of words are.

I appeal to the Bible as to an answer of whether or not homosexuality is a choice.
Romans 1:26-27

Here is says that both men and women have abandoned natural relations for unnatural ones. The word natural directly indicates that there was an intended way for humans to have relations/relationships.

This tells me that homosexuality is a choice. A choice to directly turn (abandon) from what the Creator has intended.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I am shocked and confused that we are here on a board to debate a serious issue and yet no one is actually debating instead we are quibbling over what the meaning of words are.

I appeal to the Bible as to an answer of whether or not homosexuality is a choice.

Here is says that both men and women have abandoned natural relations for unnatural ones. The word natural directly indicates that there was an intended way for humans to have relations/relationships.

This tells me that homosexuality is a choice. A choice to directly turn (abandon) from what the Creator has intended.
The problem is that gay supporters pervert the scriptures and say that the bible doesn't talk about homosexuality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lostinWA

Jun 11, 2007
Mabton, WA
✟15,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that gay supporters pervert the scriptures and say that the bible doesn't talk about homosexuality.
I agree that scriptures can be ripped from their context and misused. Yet we should always have an answer. It is not our responsibilty to tell people what a specific word means but what the context and the rest of scripture tells us.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I agree that scriptures can be ripped from their context and misused. Yet we should always have an answer. It is not our responsibilty to tell people what a specific word means but what the context and the rest of scripture tells us.
We need to tell them what the word means so they get it in context.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

We are here to discuss evidence. Not your personal interpretation of the bible

If you have no evidence to show that homosexuality is a choice then simply say so.

As for the verse you cite. I am not surprised you have taken it out of context. I have yet to see anyone use that verse in context when trying to justify their own petty personal prejudices.

The lusts spoken of are the result of godlessness and the refusal of the gospel of God. The godless ones are described as being given over to their passions. This loss of control is key and important to the Greeks and Romans Paul is writing to, and was considered a very bad thing.

The relationships are referred to as being unnatural. the Greek words physin and paraphysin have been translated to mean natural and unnatural respectively. Contrary to popular belief, the word paraphysin does not mean "to go against the laws of nature", but rather engage in action(s) which is uncharacteristic for that person. An example of the word paraphysin is used in Romans 11:24, where God acts in an uncharacteristic (paraphysin) way to accept the Gentiles. Thus the passages correctly reads that it would be unnatural for heterosexuals to live as homosexuals, and for homosexuals to live as heterosexuals.

Now…back to providing evidence that homosexuality is a choice

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You win hands down Mr. Pirate.

Homosexuality is not a choice for those too undisciplined to be able to master themselves, too weak in their faiths to be influenced by the Lord, too confused and in a fog to understand that by nature and divine plan that you are supposed to be attracted to the opposite sex.

So, I agree with you.

You win.

Upvote 0