Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Community college student bodies have a higher average age - more adult students. Seasoned college students know what that means - there goes the grading curve! Adult students tend to get excellent grades and really devote themselves to their studies and raise the level of in class discussion.

No kidding. I recall two guy in particular (both were in their late 30s or so)-
One, in a US History course, would take the study guide the instructor handed out -just a list of 40 or so topics from which the test material would be taken- go home and search through his notes, the book and the internet on each topic. He'd come in on the test day, having typed out paragraph of info on every topic from the study guide, which he used to study from. I think his lowest test grade was a 103.

The other guy was in a calculus class. He would go through each section first and do the assigned problems, then go back through it and work out every other problem in the section.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was involved in ROTC at The Citadel for 4 years. I did not want to comission out of the program, because I was trying to get into med school. If I didn't make it in that year, then I'd have less say on my job. So, I waited until I was denied 4 times, then went into the military. :)

Upvote 0

Reborn_in_Christ

Lover of Christ!!
Feb 7, 2004
Marquette MI
✟8,370.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you guys forgot about Mich Tech. I'm a student there and can atest to their programs. Tough courses but very well respected. We're a public school but there is a very large Christian student base here through numorous campus organizations.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reborn_in_Christ said:
I think you guys forgot about Mich Tech. I'm a student there and can atest to their programs. Tough courses but very well respected. We're a public school but there is a very large Christian student base here through numorous campus organizations.
Wish I could go to MTU. ^_^ lol

Upvote 0

Wroth

Superman
Feb 3, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
✟16,584.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Greens
There might also be a slight population ratio that you need to factor in... China and India both have over 1 billion (1.3 and 1.0 respectively) to the US' 0.3 billion. You guys are still "behind" if you factor that in, but it's not as bad as it looks in shear numbers:

0.023% of the population of the US graduated as engineers.
0.035% of India's population graduated as engineers.
0.046% of China's popluation graduated as engineers.

I'm wondering what Canada's rate is.

Upvote 0

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There might also be a slight population ratio that you need to factor in... China and India both have over 1 billion (1.3 and 1.0 respectively) to the US' 0.3 billion. You guys are still "behind" if you factor that in, but it's not as bad as it looks in shear numbers:

0.023% of the population of the US graduated as engineers.
0.035% of India's population graduated as engineers.
0.046% of China's popluation graduated as engineers.

Of course, that still puts India graduating 50% more than the US, and China twice as many. The main problem is not so much the plain numbers at the moment, but that fewer and fewer people are entering engineering, while in a few years a great many of the current engineers will be hitting retirement (the "boomers").

Upvote 0

IronFire

Feb 24, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟7,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The top christian engineering schools are: Cedarville, LeTourneau, and John Brown (where I'm going in 6 months:cool: ).
I am totally with you on attending a christian school over a secular school. If you go to a christian school it's like your still in training, wheras a secular school puts you on the front lines.
Obviously, being on the front lines isn't always bad, but without preparation you'll be crushed (something like 80% of proffesing christians reject the faith in the first year of college). Look at Moses: he prepared for 80 years and did ministry for 40. Thats twice as much preperation as ministry.
Just something to think about...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, being on the front lines isn't always bad, but without preparation you'll be crushed (something like 80% of proffesing christians reject the faith in the first year of college).

That's got less to do with "being crushed" and more to do with being lazy or not being committed to begin with. Just like in the rest of society, the vast majority of teens you talk to will say that they're christian.. but when they're turned out on their own (whether they're at a big bad secular university or not), their true feelings show. Without mom and dad to force them to go to church, or with being away from the group that they were established with and having to start from scratch with new people, many just don't bother to go.

My home church is a perfect example. The group that was there when I was in high school (say, people within +/- 2 years of my age) had about 12 people in it. Of those, 1 moved away and 3 (including myself) are attending a school which is not in the area. Of the remaining 8, only 3 that I know of still attend church, and they don't do so regularly.

Upvote 0

IronFire

Feb 24, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟7,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Grunt said:
That's got less to do with "being crushed" and more to do with being lazy or not being committed to begin with. Just like in the rest of society, the vast majority of teens you talk to will say that they're christian.. but when they're turned out on their own (whether they're at a big bad secular university or not), their true feelings show. Without mom and dad to force them to go to church, or with being away from the group that they were established with and having to start from scratch with new people, many just don't bother to go.

My home church is a perfect example. The group that was there when I was in high school (say, people within +/- 2 years of my age) had about 12 people in it. Of those, 1 moved away and 3 (including myself) are attending a school which is not in the area. Of the remaining 8, only 3 that I know of still attend church, and they don't do so regularly.

Right, I totally agree with you! Thats why I said proffesing christians.

But the point is, its hard to hold your ground in a secular university. I attended a community college for 2 years and I can look back and see that I was affected by the campus. I lowered my standards and did things I normally wouldn't do. I know christians schools aren't perfect, but they certainly have higher standards than secular schools.

Upvote 0

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

My point was that many people profess to be christian - but not so many actually are.

I know christians schools aren't perfect, but they certainly have higher standards than secular schools.

As others have said, that's generally a fallacy. Ever person I've talked who's attended or is attending a christian school talks about the exact same things (sex, drugs, drinking, etc) that you'll find at any secular school.

Upvote 0

rocketboy

Oct 11, 2005
✟5,967.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
IronFire said:

But the point is, its hard to hold your ground in a secular university. I attended a community college for 2 years and I can look back and see that I was affected by the campus. I lowered my standards and did things I normally wouldn't do. I know christians schools aren't perfect, but they certainly have higher standards than secular schools.

Thats what my parents dont want to happen to me. being affected spiritually and all. Im really starting to consider notre dame, but man is it expensive:eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rocketboy said:
Thats what my parents dont want to happen to me. being affected spiritually and all. Im really starting to consider notre dame, but man is it expensive:eek:

Notre Dame is very expensive and I guarantee you will find the same things there that you would at a secular college, I know a few people that go there.

I've noticed what others have mentioned, many of those that profess to be a Christian but they show no growth, those are the ones that are affected spiritually. The college pastor at my church here has said several times that many students go to church every week at home but once they get to school they think they can have a 4 year break from the church.

If you get involved in a church where ever you go you will be very less likely to be affected spiritually negatively. I know for myself I have grown so much since coming to Purdue. The church I go to has so many activities from Bible Studies throughout the week, small groups, Thursday night activities, trips and many outreach activities. What I like the best about my group is that it is part of a church in the community, it is really awesome to be involved with adults not just college students. After my first year I joined the Leadership
Team and am now even more involved.

I tried a campus church but I didn't like it at all, it just wasn't personal and a few other things I didn't like.
There is another girl on here, Alenci, that goes to Purdue and she is also involved in a church in the community, not the same one I go to, but I'm sure she would tell you about the same thing.
There are also a lot of other Christian organizations on campus, and I have met several other Christians in my classes, and even had a teacher that hinted in his lectures about his beliefs which I thought was awesome.

Growing spiritually or not growing is your choice, if you do go to a secular college you just have to get involved, hold yourself accountable to not just slack off, it's amazing how much you can grow.

IronFire said:
I disagree a little, if you surround yourself with the right kind of people they should hold you accountable and they should help you make the right decisions
I know people at Christian colleges that struggle more than a lot of Christians I know at secular colleges. Many Christian colleges force students to go to church, which is good, but it also drives many of them away, I've seen it with people I know too.

Upvote 0

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many Christian colleges force students to go to church, which is good, but it also drives many of them away, I've seen it with people I know too.

I'm surprised it doesn't drive more away. Having visited Bob Jones University (which is a bit more extreme than average, I'll grant) and being forced to sit through an hour long rant about how the democrats had won an election or two the day before, and how the whole world was going to burn in hell.... I would go insane. Of course, maybe southern baptists are more used to such material, but I generally expect a church sermon to be more about, you know, God.

Upvote 0

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grunt said:
I'm surprised it doesn't drive more away. Having visited Bob Jones University (which is a bit more extreme than average, I'll grant) and being forced to sit through an hour long rant about how the democrats had won an election or two the day before, and how the whole world was going to burn in hell.... I would go insane. Of course, maybe southern baptists are more used to such material, but I generally expect a church sermon to be more about, you know, God.

I did a college visit to a Christian college and noticed that about their sermons too, they seem to be more speeches, nothing about how you can develop/grow more in your relationship with God.
I have a bunch of friends from my church back home that go to Grace College in Indiana (its another expensive one) and they sometimes have a 3+ hour chapel or something special like that, I read a lot of my friends xanga's that they skipped chapel that day. I think they mainly skip because they don't get anything out of them and that just drives them further away.

Upvote 0