Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's explore embedded age. What is it? Does it deal in the young/old earth issues? Would it mean that fossils were implanted and not represent real creatures that actually lived, for some people? Would it mean that rocks appear old to many because they have something embedded?

I used to think that Eden was an example of apparent age...Adam looked old, trees looked old, etc. No longer. Trees probably were planted and grew fast. Rocks at the time of Eden would likely not look old to an informed observer. So...does the embedded age thing have any merit, or explanatory power?

loktai

Jun 26, 2012
✟423.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Embedded age is an attempt to reconcile the Bible with the scientific evidence, and a bad one at that.

If I go into a field, and I see a cow, hear a cow, put my foot in it's poop, touch it - I am inclined to come to the logical conclusion that it is a cow.

I do not look at all that evidence and say, ahh actually it's a lizard.

So why when there is so much evidence to say that the earth is around 4 billion years old, from the fossil records, from radiometric dating, from the age of the universe measured by the redshift and much more. Why would you believe that is it 6000 years old and invent ways to keep on believing that in spite of the evidence.

But people will believe that they want. Some people believe the motions of the planets actually effect their daily lives. Some people believe they can contact the dead through mediums. It just makes no sense to me at all., as a rational thinker.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So...does the embedded age thing have any merit, or explanatory power?

Absolutely no merit. Embedded age has absolutely no physical evidence or scientific support. Making things up doesn't make them true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So...does the embedded age thing have any merit, or explanatory power?
Yes.

Embedded age explains why the earth is as old as scientists say it is, while at the same time explains why time has only been in existence for some 6015 years.

Embedded age explains why Adam & Eve weren't so naive, when people bring up the argument that you don't put a loaded gun on a table in front of a little child and say, "Don't touch."

Embedded age explains how two people, neither of whom existed the day before, got married the next day.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where is "embedded age" mentioned in the Bible?
2 Peter 3:5a For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old,

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No "embedded age" mentioned here.
Are you looking for the words or the concept?

If you're looking for the words, look for "rapture" and "trinity" as well.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Neither words nor concept were to be found in the passage you quoted.
Sorry, then ... I can't help you.

It looks like you'll have to put 2 + 2 together and realize things like Adam coming on the scene as a fully-mature adult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, then ... I can't help you.

It looks like you'll have to put 2 + 2 together and realize things like Adam coming on the scene as a fully-mature adult.

So "embedded age" is a man-made concept, not biblical.

(Do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that God created Adam with tooth cavities and scars on his body [just to use two examples] in order to "embed" a certain age in Adam? Unbelievable, and not supported by scripture.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought I quoted a verse that supports it?
Do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that God created Adam with tooth cavities and scars on his body [just to use two examples] in order to "embed" a certain age in Adam?
No ... that is called Omphalism.
Unbelievable, and not supported by scripture.
You ask me a question, then comment on it before I answer?

Are you honestly wanting to learn this, or are you here just to let us know you think all this is 'unbelievable'?

If so, just say so and let's skip all this needless dialog.

Upvote 0

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought I quoted a verse that supports it?
2 Peter 3:5
New International Version (NIV)
5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water.

No support for "embedded age" here.
Or, if you don't like the NIV, even in Martin Luther's translation there is no support for "embedded age" in the verse you quoted:

2 Petrus 3:5
Luther Bibel 1545 (LUTH1545)
5 Aber aus Mutwillen wollen sie nicht wissen, daß der Himmel vorzeiten auch war, dazu die Erde aus Wasser, und im Wasser bestanden durch Gottes Wort;

"embedded age" is a man-made concept. Three cheers for "Sola Scriptura"...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Peter 3:5
New International Version (NIV)
5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water.

No support for "embedded age" here.
Or, if you don't like the NIV, even in Martin Luther's translation there is no support for "embedded age" in the verse you quoted:

2 Petrus 3:5
Luther Bibel 1545 (LUTH1545)
5 Aber aus Mutwillen wollen sie nicht wissen, daß der Himmel vorzeiten auch war, dazu die Erde aus Wasser, und im Wasser bestanden durch Gottes Wort;

"embedded age" is a man-made concept. Three cheers for "Sola Scriptura"...
Note to others: Now you know why the KJVO movement got started.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Let's explore embedded age. What is it? Does it deal in the young/old earth issues? Would it mean that fossils were implanted and not represent real creatures that actually lived, for some people? Would it mean that rocks appear old to many because they have something embedded?
It would mean that your god is a deceiver who wants us to think the earth is older than it is, possibly so he has an excuse to punish us later for it.

I used to think that Eden was an example of apparent age...Adam looked old, trees looked old, etc. No longer. Trees probably were planted and grew fast. Rocks at the time of Eden would likely not look old to an informed observer. So...does the embedded age thing have any merit, or explanatory power?
No it doesn't. There is no explanation for why age needs to be 'embedded," nor does it explain all the history we see in the earth such as impact craters, volcanism, discontinuties, etc., all pointing to a history much longer than 6,100 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

Embedded age explains why the earth is as old as scientists say it is, while at the same time explains why time has only been in existence for some 6015 years.

Embedded age explains why Adam & Eve weren't so naive, when people bring up the argument that you don't put a loaded gun on a table in front of a little child and say, "Don't touch."

Embedded age explains how two people, neither of whom existed the day before, got married the next day.

Does "embedded age" explain why 4.5 billion years needed to be 'embedded?"
Does "embedded age" explain how age was "embedded?"
Does "embedded age" explain why there is more than 6,100 years of history implied by the evidence of the earth itself?

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Note to others: Now you know why the KJVO movement got started.

Note to AV: "of old" means the same thing in King James English as it means in the other translations. And that meaning is not "with embedded age".

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would mean that your god is a deceiver who wants us to think the earth is older than it is, possibly so he has an excuse to punish us later for it.

No it doesn't. There is no explanation for why age needs to be 'embedded," nor does it explain all the history we see in the earth such as impact craters, volcanism, discontinuties, etc., all pointing to a history much longer than 6,100 years.
OK, so where do people that lean towards embedded age think the craters and etc come from?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

(Do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that God created Adam with tooth cavities and scars on his body [just to use two examples] in order to "embed" a certain age in Adam? Unbelievable, and not supported by scripture.)
Just looked at you profile. I see 'Theistic Evolution' listed there. Would not that mean that you do not believe in creation in any real way, and even accept that the universe really started out in a little hot soup, basically? If so, that seems to leave you out of the loop so to speak in being able to judge what is biblical for others. If not, do explain.

As silly as embedded ages seems to me at this point, it has not really accepting what God said beat all to hec.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Embedded age is an attempt to reconcile the Bible with the scientific evidence, and a bad one at that.

If I go into a field, and I see a cow, hear a cow, put my foot in it's poop, touch it - I am inclined to come to the logical conclusion that it is a cow.

I do not look at all that evidence and say, ahh actually it's a lizard.
My concern would be if embedded age folks think that the poop got there in some way other than a cow dropping it.
So why when there is so much evidence to say that the earth is around 4 billion years old, from the fossil records, from radiometric dating, from the age of the universe measured by the redshift and much more.
That is another story...none actually.

Why would you believe that is it 6000 years old and invent ways to keep on believing that in spite of the evidence.
You seem to think your beliefs in age are unshakable. Then you proceed to rebuke people that believe God over man. Your position is weak.
But people will believe that they want.
OK.

Upvote 0