Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
During my studies into the SDA beliefs, I've recently come across a rather strange doctrine (in my IMO), held by the church which states that alcohol is prohibited for personal consumption in the Bible. This doctrine was formulated by the founder of the Seventh Adventist Church herself, Ellen G. White, who according to the church was, "a vehicle of God's spirit and truth, and a great inspiration to all who knew her." She is also regarded by the church to have possessed the gift of prophesy.

Mrs White says, "The Bible nowhere sanctions the use of intoxicating wine. The wine that Christ made from water at the marriage feast of Cana was the pure juice of the grape. This is the "new wine . . . found in the cluster," of which the Scripture says, "Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it." Isaiah 65:8." Ministry of Healing p.333

Does God prohibit any alcohol for personal use? Did Ellen White lie?

Did she twist the Word of God to push her own man-made teachings?:confused:

or

Was she simply telling the truth but misunderstood?:help:

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wow...

firemn.gif

Gonna need that for the flame war that's about to ensue

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mrs White says, "The Bible nowhere sanctions the use of intoxicating wine. The wine that Christ made from water at the marriage feast of Cana was the pure juice of the grape. This is the "new wine . . . found in the cluster," of which the Scripture says, "Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it." Isaiah 65:8." Ministry of Healing p.333

If she actually said that, and there is no greater context that would change its meaning, then it's simply ignorance of history and extreme eisegesis. It's sort of like how people that think there was no death before the Fall rationalize away the fact that Adam and Eve had to eat by saying it was "for pleasure."

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

firemn.gif

Gonna need that for the flame war that's about to ensue

Im not looking to create a flame-war, im just seeking the truth. You specifically said in another thread that the truth is contained in the Adventist church;
Stories like these are so encouraging to me because it shows God working in a mighty way for these people who have accepted the simple gospel truth presented by the SDA church.

How do you explain your founder's words so that i may understand?

"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15:preach:

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If she actually said that, and there is no greater context that would change its meaning, then it's simply ignorance of history and extreme eisegesis. It's sort of like how people that think there was no death before the Fall rationalize away the fact that Adam and Eve had to eat by saying it was "for pleasure."

Were her teachings influenced by the time she lived in?

lips-that-touch-liquor-fun-cards-6002372-0-1257701635000.jpg

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Im not looking to create a flame-war, im just seeking the truth. You specifically said in another thread that the truth is contained in the Adventist church;

How do you explain your founder's words so that i may understand?

"but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15:preach:

If you really wanted to understand you'd (A) Look into it yourself (B) Have come to the Adventist sub-forum.

I'm pretty sure that in the other forum we're engaged in you called her work "heretical", and called her "a false prophet" so thus it seems you already have a bias against her and her writings. I'd say if you're sincere, you should read everything regarding this subject with prayer.

Keep in mind that your quote came from the "ministry of health" book. Take a look at what Alcohol does to your body then cross-reference that with her statement and others such as "wine is ragging and strong drink is a mocker"

Upvote 0

realtruth101

Jan 26, 2011
✟903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think one can plainly see from scripture that wine had alcohol in it, which is why it also came with many warnings about drunkeness, and the drunkard.....notice how most folks who are against all alcoholic beverages have no problem lining up at the food buffet table and eating till they bust. anything done to excess is wrong, think about it, sometimes common sense isn't common

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you really wanted to understand you'd (A) Look into it yourself (B) Have come to the Adventist sub-forum.

I've seen what they do to outsiders in your Adventist sub-forum so I think i'll remain here, thank you. At least here i'll have a fighting chance, unlike your forum were i'll have to literally walk on egg-shells.

If someone's questions your faith, always be prepared to defend it.:)

I'm pretty sure that in the other forum we're engaged in you called her work "heretical", and called her "a false prophet" so thus it seems you already have a bias against her and her writings. I'd say if you're sincere, you should read everything regarding this subject with prayer.

Well, if someone contradicts the message of God, what else can I call her? I know the Lord never banned alcohol.

Keep in mind that your quote came from the "ministry of health" book. Take a look at what Alcohol does to your body then cross-reference that with her statement and others such as "wine is ragging and strong drink is a mocker"

Did God prohibit the use alcohol for personal consumption?

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think one can plainly see from scripture that wine had alcohol in it, which is why it also came with many warnings about drunkeness, and the drunkard.....notice how most folks who are against all alcoholic beverages have no problem lining up at the food buffet table and eating till they bust. anything done to excess is wrong, think about it, sometimes common sense isn't common

Anything done to excess is wrong. The problem however is that we're assuming that whenever we see "wine" it means alcoholic simply because that's how the term is used now a days. There is no amount of alcohol that you can consume that is good for you at all.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've seen what they do to outsiders in your Adventist sub-forum so I think i'll remain here, thank you. At least here i'll have a fighting chance, unlike your forum were i'll have to literally walk on egg-shells.

If someone's questions your faith, always be prepared to defend it.:)

It has nothing to do with "outsiders" and everything to do with sifting out actual truth seekers versus those making the claim but actually picking a fight. Here, you're surrounded by like minded people which won't help your "seeking truth" agenda.

And I've defended my faith already. There's a difference between defending and entering useless conversation. That's why I avoid the law threads now.

Well, if someone contradicts the message of God, what else can I call her? I know the Lord never banned alcohol.
What you know if that the Lord never banned "wine". Whether or not it was alcoholic is a different subject and the reason for this thread.

Did God prohibit the use alcohol for personal consumption?
Where does God ever ok the use of "alcohol". Again, separate your preconceived notion of what wine is from what the bible talks about. Didn't Solomon say wine was ragging? Either there's an obvious contradiction going on here, or there's a contextual situation being ignored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

realtruth101

Jan 26, 2011
✟903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Anything done to excess is wrong. The problem however is that we're assuming that whenever we see "wine" it means alcoholic simply because that's how the term is used now a days. There is no amount of alcohol that you can consume that is good for you at all.
WHAT!.......... what in the world are you talking about?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Red wine is known to have anti-oxidants in it...an excellent way to help stave off cancer...a glass a day is good for the circulatory system, as well as the digestive track.
It sounds to me that those are good reasons to have a glass a day.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It has nothing to do with "outsiders" and everything to do with sifting out actual truth seekers versus those making the claim but actually picking a fight. Here, you're surrounded by like minded people which won't help your "seeking truth" agenda.

you make it sound like everyone here is against the SDA?

Where does God ever ok the use of "alcohol". Again, separate your preconceived notion of what wine is from what the bible talks about. Didn't Solomon say wine was ragging? Either there's an obvious contradiction going on here, or there's a contextual situation being ignored.

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your often infirmities. 1 Timothy 5:23

What contradiction? Solomon simply said don't be led astray by alcohol (drunkenness).

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
you make it sound like everyone here is against the SDA?

Isn't it obvious? ;)

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your often infirmities. 1 Timothy 5:23

What contradiction? Solomon simply said don't be led astray by alcohol (drunkenness).
Grapes are an antioxidant powerhouse and chock full of...

I dare you to look up the ingredients in wine and see what is good for the body and what isn't. It really is that simple.

What alcohol really does to your body - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent
From the first sip, alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream and reaches the brain. Although you won't be aware of it, there is an impairment of brain function, which deteriorates further the more you drink
So yeah, technically, you're drunk from the moment you start drinking alcohol.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Isn't it obvious? ;)

before you dismiss my questions, at least take a closer look at your founder's teachings. Do the same as you always implore the Roman Catholics to do.

http://www.natures-health-foods.com/grapes.html

this is all just another man's opinion and not from the Lord. If i wanted to listen to them then I wouldn't be a Christian. Are you re-writing the Bible according to science? Well, according to science a fetus isn't really human until 8 weeks, so I guess God doesn't mind abortions (as long as there are done within that time-period)?:doh:

Show me where the Lord outlawed alcohol? That's all I want from you, not your science.

Upvote 0