Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Do they have to be vegetarian?

If not, spaghetti carbonara

Cook spaghetti.
Meanwhile, fry bacon (in little cubes), a small onion (chopped), a bit of garlic (chopped), add a little white wine and black pepper. Drain the spaghetti, add it and a bit of the water that you boiled the spaghetti in to the bacon etc, then take away from the fire and mix in some beaten eggs and grated parmesan (and if you like, a little bit of cream). It should become a sauce after letting it rest for a few seconds.

Frittata with any kind of vegetable is also good (I like courgette especially, but tomatoes and asparagus and leeks also go well with eggs).

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I make egg things all the time for dinner...there's french toast, there's just scrambled eggs, there's fritattas (I love these, because you can use whatever you have on hand--broccoli and cheddar- or diced tomatoes and spinach -or bell peppers, onions, & olives-or asparagus and swiss---just whatever you have and sounds good to you), there's omlettes which are as versatile as fritatta's but much faster, there's eggs benedict...

There's chef salad, there's egg salad salad.

LOL! WE usually have some kind of egg dinner once a week- it's cheap :)

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
farmers omelette:
small pieces of bacon, fry
take whatever veggies you have left over, add
add eggs and have a filling omelette.

Or Spanish omelette
small pieces of potato
onion, garlic, veggies, if available: chorizzo or bacon, put egg over it and bake in a thick slab of about an inch or more. (can be put in the oven to make sure both sides are nicely done)
Cut in pieces like a pie. You can add some spicy tomat sauce.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I make egg things all the time for dinner...there's french toast, there's just scrambled eggs, there's fritattas (I love these, because you can use whatever you have on hand--broccoli and cheddar- or diced tomatoes and spinach -or bell peppers, onions, & olives-or asparagus and swiss---just whatever you have and sounds good to you), there's omlettes which are as versatile as fritatta's but much faster, there's eggs benedict...

There's chef salad, there's egg salad salad.

LOL! WE usually have some kind of egg dinner once a week- it's cheap :)

What is a "fritattas" exactly? Sounds different than an omlette.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If not, spaghetti carbonara

Cook spaghetti.
Meanwhile, fry bacon (in little cubes), a small onion (chopped), a bit of garlic (chopped), add a little white wine and black pepper. Drain the spaghetti, add it and a bit of the water that you boiled the spaghetti in to the bacon etc, then take away from the fire and mix in some beaten eggs and grated parmesan (and if you like, a little bit of cream). It should become a sauce after letting it rest for a few seconds.

That sounds pretty good. I am envisioning a spaghetti omlette if I tried it though.

Why does it remain a sauce? Do the eggs not cook up or am I missing how much wine, water and cream are added?

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Poached eggs are my fav.

I can't make'em tho... dam things turn into white octupus lookin things when I try...

Then I bought this egg poacher thing, threw it in the garbage after the first try.

Anyone know how to do it properly?

Anyone know if this is how you spell poached ... P O A C H E D? Shannon? :)

Rebekah... Carbonara is one of my favorites too! I use Rigitoni tho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
That sounds pretty good. I am envisioning a spaghetti omlette if I tried it though.

Why does it remain a sauce? Do the eggs not cook up or am I missing how much wine, water and cream are added?
It does turn into omelette if you're not careful. :) It really is mostly egg - but the pan is off the heat (or you can put the spaghetti and the rest in a preheated [but not too hot] bowl if you like), and the spaghetti is mixed with the other ingredients (minus the egg-cheese mixture) first, so it's stopped cooking already. The egg just sets from this point. I never eat spaghetti carbonara in a restaurant because they never get their timing right - then you do get omelette.

The elderly, and small children and people with a weak health should not eat this as the egg is not cooked through - or you could use pasteurized eggs.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It's kind of like a quiche without the crust.

"Fritattas" is Spanish.
"Quiche" is French.
Frittata is an Italian omelette, cooked slowly on a low heat, and thicker than a traditional omelette. Also, it has often vegetables on it (or rather through it).

Spanish omelettes are tortillas.

A quiche is a sort of pastry, it has a dough crust.

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Frittata is an Italian omelette, cooked slowly on a low heat, and thicker than a traditional omelette. Also, it has often vegetables on it (or rather through it).

Spanish omelettes are tortillas.

A quiche is a sort of pastry, it has a dough crust.
Sorry. I kind of get that mixed up with the fritatta.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
What is a "fritattas" exactly? Sounds different than an omlette.
As explained--fritattas are slow cooked-usually in the oven. I start mine on the stove and then put the whole cast iron skillet in the oven...I cook the veggies to my liking first and then add about 8 or so eggs--cook for a minute or two and put the skillet into a preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes, til the eggs are set and don't jiggle.

An omlette is cooked at high temperature and is best having a tablespoon of water whipped in for every egg. The ingredients ought to be at the texture one wants them for seving, and fold them in at the last minute, just before folding. Most other egg dishes are cooked slowly-omlettes get their fuffiness from the water evaporating over the high heat :)

Yup poached- is -p-o-a-c-h-e-d-. A trick for poached eggs is to put a teaspoon or two of vinegar in the water(it keeps the eggs together)...and to use mason jar lids to hold your eggs together. They're yuck if the water is boiling-it's best to bring it to a boil then bring it down to a simmer. Crack the eggs into the rings immersed in the water. Cover and turn off the heat for about 5 minutes. I actually use a thermometer to have my water at 170degrees F-being American I have no idea what that is in centigrade :sorry:

DOn't know if that helps...

Upvote 0

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love eggs.

I usually have an egg salad prepared in the fridge for a quick sandwich.

I also like pickled eggs with beats. Matter of face I was just thinking about looking for that recipe the other day.

Anyone hear of pop eyes? My grandparents and father used to make them all the time when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As explained--fritattas are slow cooked-usually in the oven. I start mine on the stove and then put the whole cast iron skillet in the oven...I cook the veggies to my liking first and then add about 8 or so eggs--cook for a minute or two and put the skillet into a preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes, til the eggs are set and don't jiggle.

An omlette is cooked at high temperature and is best having a tablespoon of water whipped in for every egg. The ingredients ought to be at the texture one wants them for seving, and fold them in at the last minute, just before folding. Most other egg dishes are cooked slowly-omlettes get their fuffiness from the water evaporating over the high heat :).

Cool. Gotta love those incredible edible eggs. :)

I like a wet scrambled folded fast too. My aunt taught me as a kid to add a dash of water. Seems to make a big difference. Now I know why. Now if I could only get my kids to like em. ^_^

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yup poached- is -p-o-a-c-h-e-d-. A trick for poached eggs is to put a teaspoon or two of vinegar in the water(it keeps the eggs together)...and to use mason jar lids to hold your eggs together. They're yuck if the water is boiling-it's best to bring it to a boil then bring it down to a simmer. Crack the eggs into the rings immersed in the water. Cover and turn off the heat for about 5 minutes. I actually use a thermometer to have my water at 170degrees F-being American I have no idea what that is in centigrade :sorry:

DOn't know if that helps...

Well... it sounds like it will help.

I'll give it a try!

Thanks Shannon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.