Visit site
✟43,566.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. Thus, everyone will have faith alone in Christ Jesus and be saved. Your philosophical position doesn’t matter in terms of salvation, only having faith alone in Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:19: "In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself."

Antinatalism or anti-natalism is a philosophy that believes birth and procreation of sentient beings is wrong. The false belief of Eternal Conscious Torment can lead people down this path, like this Christian who says

https://tentmaker.org/forum/lounge/do-'eternal-hellers'-*really*-believe-it-themselves/

Quote from beartheweek

Start Quote: “I also decided that having kids was so horrible because it would be wrong for me to bring a new child into the world when they would be chosen by God to end up in either Heaven or Hell.It would be counterproductive for God to threaten us with eternal Hell because any person in their right mind that really believes in eternal Hell would never introduce a precious child into such a horrifying possibility. It's just not worth the risk when the majority of people will end up in Hell! I felt sorrow for my existing two very young daughters.” End Quote.

Why did God create mankind only for the vast majority of mankind to be tortured forever? Isn’t God always good? There are some people who we see as evil because they torture people for a long time, yet we’re supposed to see God as good when that torture lasts forever? Something doesn’t add up here…

Job 5:17-18 Happy the man whom God rebukes! Therefore do not reject the discipline of the Almighty. For, though he wounds, he will bind up; the hands that smite will heal.

Even with Annihilationism, that would still be a net negative towards suffering, since that means a person is born, suffers, and then dies, with that suffering just staying there. Who will be there to wipe away their tears? Or to heal their wounds?

Isaiah 25:6-8 cast over ALL nations. he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove his people’s disgrace from all the earth. The LORD has spoken.

There exists Antinatalists who are also Christian and these are verses that they use

Ecclesiastes 4

Better Not to Have Been Born

4 Next, I turned to look at all the acts of oppression that make people suffer under the sun. Look at the tears of those who suffer! No one can comfort them. Their oppressors have ⌞all⌟ the power. No one can comfort those who suffer. 2 I congratulate the dead, who have already died, rather than the living, who still have to carry on. 3 But the person who hasn’t been born yet is better off than both of them. He hasn’t seen the evil that is done under the sun.

Luke 23:27-29

A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. Jesus turned and said to them, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children. For the time will come when you will say, ‘Blessed are the childless women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’

Matthew 19:12

For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others--and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

Eunuch: Those who do not reproduce.

These Eunuchs come in three types.

1) For there are eunuchs who were born that way = Some people are born without the ability to reproduce or bear a child.

2) and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others = Someone who used to have the ability to reproduce but now because of castration or any injury that inhibits their ability to reproduce.

3) and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.

The disciple Paul would most closely fit that 3rd category, since he voluntarily chose to remain single.

Christian Antinatalists would most closely fall into that 3rd category, I imagine, since antinatalism is a philosophical position that people choose to take.

An antinatalist can choose for themselves whether or not they want to have kids, God gives us that choice. But each person must make the choice for themselves. Just like how each person must make a choice when to believe in Jesus Christ. You can’t force a choice. But given who knows how long, eventually all people will make the choice to believe in Christ Jesus and be saved.

In recent days, like in communities like r/collapse, I have seen more people take up this antinatalist mentality. Climate change will cause intense heat and intense cold in certain areas. New plagues released from the melting sea ice. COVID-19 mutations. Wars over the last remaining fresh water supplies. The Russian invasion of Ukraine will spread into all other countries. The possible use of nuclear weapons will always hang over people’s heads, as it always has, since they were first created. Riots in Brazil. Etc. Etc.

1 Corinthians 15:55: "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

At the end of the day, Antinatalism is essentially another version of the Problem of Evil. Why is there evil in life?

To answer this, imagine a flash light. God says let there be light and turns the flash light on, creating light. But there’s darkness. God did not create the darkness, it’s just not visible because of the light. And creating that light is good. God right now, through Christ’s Universal Salvation, is in the process of lighting up the whole world. Making light is always good. And eventually all the darkness will be removed through light. Darkness meaning sin.

Psalm 10:15 Break the power of wickedness and wrong; hunt out all wickedness until thou can find no more.

God created Adam and Eve and by extension knew that the rest of mankind would be born after since He planned to have Jesus Christ be sacrificed on the cross since the foundations of the world were formed. He said that His creation was good. And this is true, everything that God does is good. So, it was not wrong for God to create us.

Romans 11:32: "For God has consigned all to disobedience, that He may have mercy on all."

Christian Universalism is the only sane way to reconcile God being good and still creating us. Sure, we may be suffering now, but in the future, there will be no more suffering. Because everyone will become a believer in Jesus Christ and be saved. And in Heaven, there will be the new City of Jerusalem, New Jerusalem, with a tree in the center with leaves for the healings of all nations. And a thousand years is like a day to God, so in the Lord’s time, we’re really only suffering a few days.

Psalm 13:5 I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.

Reactions: Saint Steven

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Given that Christians have been historically most fertile when believing in eternal conscious torment, this argument doesn't make sense to me. Surely it's a modernist reaction to this Christian teaching which presumes the legitimacy of modernism and that God doesn't have the right to punish people for eternity that causes anyone to think this way.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quote from beartheweek

Start Quote: “I also decided that having kids was so horrible because it would be wrong for me to bring a new child into the world when they would be chosen by God to end up in either Heaven or Hell.It would be counterproductive for God to threaten us with eternal Hell because any person in their right mind that really believes in eternal Hell would never introduce a precious child into such a horrifying possibility. It's just not worth the risk when the majority of people will end up in Hell! I felt sorrow for my existing two very young daughters.” End Quote.

Why did God create mankind only for the vast majority of mankind to be tortured forever? Isn’t God always good? There are some people who we see as evil because they torture people for a long time, yet we’re supposed to see God as good when that torture lasts forever? Something doesn’t add up here…
Wow.
What a stunning position for one to take. Is this the abundant life Jesus came to bring us?
Where spending eternity with him is like winning the lottery? Slim chance.
As you so aptly state, "Something doesn’t add up here…"

• Prayers
Reactions: HSong
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. Thus, everyone will have faith alone in Christ Jesus and be saved. Your philosophical position doesn’t matter in terms of salvation, only having faith alone in Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:19: "In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself."
Another out-of-context proof text. That ain't what Paul said.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: [no wrongdoer] neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, [no wrongdoer] hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.​
Twenty two categories of unrighteous people who have no inheritance in the kingdom of God.1. adulterers, 2. covetous, 3. drunkenness, 4. effeminate, 5. emulations, 6. envious, 7. extortion 8. fornication, 9. hatred, 10. heresies, 11. homosexuals, 12. idolators, 13. lasciviousness, 14. murder, 15. reveling, 16. revilers 17. sedition, 18. strife, 19. thieves, 20. uncleanness 21. witchcraft. 22. Wrath
Vss cited: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:5, 1 Corinthians 3:17

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if Universalism is not true does that mean God is not good?
That's exactly what it means. (sorry to say)

If the God who expects us to love our enemies, incinerates his own, he is NOT good.

Unless you can justify it somehow.
Which probably requires setting a lower standard of behavior/character for God than for us.

The reasoning that he can do whatever he wishes, because he is God, only makes him
out to be a cosmic tyrant, or bully. Therefore NOT good.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given that Christians have been historically most fertile when believing in eternal conscious torment, this argument doesn't make sense to me. Surely it's a modernist reaction to this Christian teaching which presumes the legitimacy of modernism and that God doesn't have the right to punish people for eternity that causes anyone to think this way.
On the contrary.
Universalism was a main theology/doctrine in the early church. (mostly in the east)
The western/Latin church did away with it when they gave us the canon of scripture with their doctrinal bias ruling the translation work.

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."

• Winner
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also see post #2 in this topic. Which contains a lengthy quote from St. Isaac the Syrian.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's exactly what it means. (sorry to say)

If the God who expects us to love our enemies, incinerates his own, he is NOT good.

Unless you can justify it somehow.
Which probably requires setting a lower standard of behavior/character for God than for us.

The reasoning that he can do whatever he wishes, because he is God, only makes him
out to be a cosmic tyrant, or bully. Therefore NOT good.
Would your faith be at risk if you are wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On the contrary.
Universalism was a main theology/doctrine in the early church. (mostly in the east)
The western/Latin church did away with it when they gave us the canon of scripture with their doctrinal bias ruling the translation work.

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
I just don't buy that for a second.

It also doesn't contradict the historic model that Christians who die believe in ECT had little problem having Children historically. The OP's argument that this theology is going to lead to antinatilism is just silly.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just don't buy that for a second.
I guess we are even then.
I didn't buy your opinion that UR is a "modernist reaction" to Damnationism. (my words, except for the quote)

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess we are even then.
I didn't buy your opinion that UR is a "modernist reaction" to Damnationism. (my words, except for the quote)
Then how do you account for the fact that anti-natalism is mostly a modern thing? Something which I don't see most ECT believers engaged in historically?

Upvote 0

HSong

Jesus-Saves-All
Sep 11, 2022
Canada
Visit site
✟43,566.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where spending eternity with him is like winning the lottery? Slim chance.
With ECT, having a child is equivalent to gambling with eternal consequences. ECT leads to the conclusion that someone who loved their child wouldn't have that child and would keep them in a state of "non-existence".

When torture lasts forever, even the small joy of 120 years of a happy human life are wiped away.

Yet, God decided to create us? Interesting... It seems like, even the small torture of 120 years of life of human suffering are wiped away, because the joy lasts forever. (UR).

Rom. 12:17 We are not to "repay evil for evil."

• Agree
Upvote 0

HSong

Jesus-Saves-All
Sep 11, 2022
Canada
Visit site
✟43,566.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if Universalism is not true does that mean God is not good?
St Steven's response is a good one. Another aspect is that, if UR is not true, it makes God a liar, since He's said in scripture to save everyone.

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 All will be made alive in Christ, but each in his own turn and ultimately Christ will subdue all His enemies, eliminate death and God will be all in all.

Would your faith be at risk if you are wrong?
We are saved only be believing in Jesus Christ with faith alone. When we are saved, we are then protected by the Holy Spirit and cannot lose our salvation. Thus, our faith would not be at risk in any scenario after we are saved by Jesus.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then how do you account for the fact that anti-natalism is mostly a modern thing? Something which I don't see most ECT believers engaged in historically?
We should ask the topic originator. @HSong
This was the first I had heard of it, at least by the name anti-natalism.

Seems very plausible that those struggling to grapple with the hell doctrine would come to this conclusion.
Whether they told anyone about it or not. Granted, deciding not to have children would be an extreme reaction.
Most people don't care about the eternal destiny of others. Even their own children. Such is the world we live in.

Are all your loved ones "saved"?
If not, where do you believe they will spend eternity?
How does that make you feel?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We should ask the topic originator. @HSong
This was the first I had heard of it, at least by the name anti-natalism.

Seems very plausible that those struggling to grapple with the hell doctrine would come to this conclusion.
Whether they told anyone about it or not. Granted, deciding not to have children would be an extreme reaction.
Most people don't care about the eternal destiny of others. Even their own children. Such is the world we live in.

Are all your loved ones "saved"?
If not, where do you believe they will spend eternity?
How does that make you feel?
They might come to that conclusion but the obvious question then is why? It seems to me it's due to a liberal modernist influence of Egalitarianism, that all are equal and therefore it is unjust for God to condemn anyone for eternity. Christians in the past, must have necessarily had a different attitude, one which understood Christians were particular, different and that humanity was not all equal in the eyes of God. Hence why we don't see massive movements of people abandoning having children for the sake of the supposed reasons you give.

As to how it makes me feel, I'm indifferent. I trust God and believe in his justice. I don't judge God on the basis of your presuppositions and condemn him.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
St Steven's response is a good one. Another aspect is that, if UR is not true, it makes God a liar, since He's said in scripture to save everyone.

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 All will be made alive in Christ, but each in his own turn and ultimately Christ will subdue all His enemies, eliminate death and God will be all in all.

We are saved only be believing in Jesus Christ with faith alone. When we are saved, we are then protected by the Holy Spirit and cannot lose our salvation. Thus, our faith would not be at risk in any scenario after we are saved by Jesus.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
You can not say you are a Universalist and also say "we are saved only by believing in Jesus Christ with faith alone". It is a contradiction. It's one or the other. I am thinking you do not understand the implications of Universalism.
Blessings

• Agree
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 15:22-28 All will be made alive in Christ, but each in his own turn and ultimately Christ will subdue all His enemies, eliminate death and God will be all in all. * * *
The usual misquote of 1 Cor 15:22, which misleadingly distorts the meaning.
1 Corinthians 15:22-23
(22) For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
(23) But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.​
Vs. 22 does NOT say "All will be made alive in Christ,..." It says "as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.." All mankind is "in Adam" because all mankind are literal descendants of Adam. But all mankind are not "in Christ." That requires a knowledgeable, conscious decision on the part of every person, in this life.
Also the very next vs. #23 clearly shows that "all" will not be "made alive in Christ."
"every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming." Every man in his own order "Christ the firstfruits." Afterwards NOT all mankind but only those who already belong to Christ when He returns.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can not say you are a Universalist and also say "we are saved only by believing in Jesus Christ with faith alone". It is a contradiction. It's one or the other. I am thinking you do not understand the implications of Universalism.
Blessings
I agree. That's a good point.

I'm not sure about @HSong religious background, but I consider myself to be a recovering evangelical.

I'm still trying to iron out all the wrinkles in my theology.
Writing over the evangelical doctrines in my mind with UR doctrines as I am able to substantiate them.

Let's face it, we are all living with some cognitive dissonance. Have you identified yours?

But back to your post point.
UR would say that all will acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord in the first age of the afterlife. (before heaven)
Whether you consider this to be salvation by faith alone is a question, I suppose.

I believe salvation came to all of us when Christ paid the death penalty on the cross on our behalf.
Therefore everyone is already saved, but not ready for heaven until we go through the age of judgment/restoration.

There is no codified theology/doctrine of UR. So most Universalists differ in some respects.

Upvote 0