Earthquake's Rock the United Kingdom!

Jez

Jan 5, 2002
UK
Visit site
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
We have just had 4 earthquakes here in Manchester Uk over the last 4 hours, 4 one the ricter scale.

This sort of thing never happens in the UK; 3 weeks ago we had a 5.0 earthquake too!! What's happening.

The Funny thing is that the last one today felt much much worse than the one 3 weeks ago. I felt like a plane had crashed into the side of the building, while the other just shock badly.

valerie

What about second breakfast?
*puts her "Obsessed with geology" baseball cap on.*

It's interesting that you're having seismic activity there. The reason that you normally don't is that you're sitting smack in the middle of a tectonic plate. Usually this sort of thing happens at the borders of the plates.

However, you can still get faults in the middle. After all, we're talking about obscene amounts of rock that are shifting, moving, stretching and compressing. Earthquakes happen when something finally gives. My guess is, something gave, which put pressure on something else, which gave and etc etc. That may be why you've had a sequence of them.

As for why the smaller magnitude one felt stronger, it was probably centered more shallow in the earth than the stronger one, which makes the shaking feel more violent. Deep quakes (like we get here) feel more rolling than shaking.

*takes her cap off*

I'm sorry, I just love geology and I can't resist talking about it!

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by valerie
*puts her "Obsessed with geology" baseball cap on.*

I'm sorry, I just love geology and I can't resist talking about it!

Valerie...very interesting...

Would you post in the 'Continental Drift' thread then?  I'd love your response to some of the claims that have been made by others. :help:

Many blessings,

Smilin :wave:

Upvote 0

valerie

What about second breakfast?
Originally posted by Smilin
Valerie...very interesting...

Would you post in the 'Continental Drift' thread then?  I'd love your response to some of the claims that have been made by others. :help:

Many blessings,

Smilin :wave:

I went to that thread, and was going to do up a quick summary of what continental drift is and how it occurs, but the more I read the posts, the more I realized that it was one big slam-fest and I don't really care to be a part of that at this point. Maybe when the tempers calm down! :)

As for the UKers, any word on what's been causing your quakes? New fault? Old fault woken up again? I'd be interested to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good to meet you - elentári and psalmist :wave:

It's two days on and the ground still rumbles..... there was another one at 6.30am. I don't know that there is any particular reason why they are happening (other then the movement of the earth) but the epi-centre of the biggest quake a couple of days ago was underneath ASDA/Wal-Mart in Beswick, Manchester......make of that what you will!!

Like I said, elentári, it just feels like a large truck has passed the window at speed. I was sat at my desk and felt the side of my desk hit my leg, but in the main, it was the sound of a large "thump" and a gentle movement.

Upvote 0