Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
George Tiller Killed: Abortion Doctor Shot At Church

Holman: I don't advocate Tiller's murder, but I don't condemn it - CNN.com

George Tiller, a Wichita doctor who was one of the few doctors in the nation to perform late-term abortions, was shot to death on Sunday as he attended church, city officials in Wichita said. The shooting occurred at around 10 a.m. (Central time) at Reformation Lutheran Church on the city's East Side, Dr. Tiller's regular church.
Wichita police said that the shots were fired from a handgun in the church lobby during the morning service. The authorities gave few details, but said they were searching for a powder blue Taurus made in the 1990s that had been seen leaving shortly after the shooting. They said witnesses had described seeing a white man departing.

I found this quote very saddening:

"If the suspect turns out to be an anti-abortion activist, this will give the Obama administration and Janet Napolitano's DHS the excuse to view all pro-lifers through the same lens as Tiller's murderer, which means pro-lifers will be labeled terrorists. Now there will be an even greater push to equate Christians with radical Islamists"

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What is the answer? This business of saying you are a hypocrite because you believe life is precious and then you kill an abortion doctor making one a hypocrite,is bogus to me. If one can stop the killing of one or untold numbers of people, by killing the one who is doing the killing of them, does that show hypocrisy? No. To stand by and let someone not only endanger but actively kill one or a million is wrong IMO. If I say or do nothing, then I am an active participant in the crime. For an example, if one could execute Hitler and thereby save untold hundreds, thousands perhaps from the gas chambers, should it be done? Or should I say I can't be a hypocrite and kill him who kills thousands? Even if I don't condone Hitler?

I understand Roeder, if he is guilty of this murder of the Dr. If he did so for the abortion reason. I flex between should of and no way. Would I....???? So, your opinions, I will surely read and think on.

And this is MO and I say and raise the question honestly. Hoping for thoughtful answers and not hatred and yelling or whatever.

Upvote 0

2Cosmic2Charlie

What is the answer? This business of saying you are a hypocrite because you believe life is precious and then you kill an abortion doctor making one a hypocrite,is bogus to me. If one can stop the killing of one or untold numbers of people, by killing the one who is doing the killing of them, does that show hypocrisy? No. To stand by and let someone not only endanger but actively kill one or a million is wrong IMO. If I say or do nothing, then I am an active participant in the crime. For an example, if one could execute Hitler and thereby save untold hundreds, thousands perhaps from the gas chambers, should it be done? Or should I say I can't be a hypocrite and kill him who kills thousands? Even if I don't condone Hitler?

I understand Roeder, if he is guilty of this murder of the Dr. If he did so for the abortion reason. I flex between should of and no way. Would I....???? So, your opinions, I will surely read and think on.

And this is MO and I say and raise the question honestly. Hoping for thoughtful answers and not hatred and yelling or whatever.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/31/george-tiller-killed-abor_n_209504.html

"If the suspect turns out to be an anti-abortion activist, this will give the Obama administration and Janet Napolitano's DHS the excuse to view all pro-lifers through the same lens as Tiller's murderer, which means pro-lifers will be labeled terrorists. Now there will be an even greater push to equate Christians with radical Islamists"

Rachel Maddow's first law of internet posting:

"Any discussion board thread of sufficient length with include at least one poster comparing someone or something to Nazi's"

2cosmic2charlies' first corollary to Maddow's law:

"The sufficient length of an abortion thread is about 4 posts"

With all due respect:

If the pro-life movement wants to not be treated as terrorist they need to stop acting like terrorists.

Every pro-life organization has people in are around it that are, well, fringe.

They vandalize, the are involved in petty theft and maybe they've thrown a fire bomb or two. This stuff is real common. I've heard this from people who have left the organized pro-life movement because this kind of stuff happens and they aren't ok with it.

These fringe people are the ranks from which people who take up arms grow.

The pro-life movement isn't calling these people out, reigning them in or ratting them out to the police. Instead they protect them, idolize them and just engage in willful ignorance about them.

Then, when someone actually pulls a trigger, plantx a bomb or otherwise goes renegade they give disingenuous lip service about the sanctity of life and the relativism of killing one for the good of the many.

These actions are sure to do two things:

1) Garner the attention of the federal law enforcement establishment

2) Turn the general population against the organized pro-life movement.

Neither of which is good for the long term health of the organized pro-life movement.

Reactions: BelindaP
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

You forget that President Obama and Janet Napolitano are Christians, too.

Some Christians are pro-lilfe. Some Christians are pro-choice. Some Christian denominations are pro-choice (and President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton belong to two of these denominations.)

They believe in the message of Jesus. They prioritize aspects of his message differently. As I have said many times, if there are good works being done in my town, the Methodists are always in the forefront. I am continually astonished and inspired by their generosity. (Secretary of State Clinton is a Methodist.)

And so no, I don't believe that two Christian leaders will declare war on Christians.

I just wish that all Christians would learn to respect one another, following the model of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Rachel Maddow's first law of internet posting:

"Any discussion board thread of sufficient length with include at least one poster comparing someone or something to Nazi's"

2cosmic2charlies' first corollary to Maddow's law:

"The sufficient length of an abortion thread is about 4 posts"

With all due respect:

If the pro-life movement wants to not be treated as terrorist they need to stop acting like terrorists.

Every pro-life organization has people in are around it that are, well, fringe.

They vandalize, the are involved in petty theft and maybe they've thrown a fire bomb or two. This stuff is real common. I've heard this from people who have left the organized pro-life movement because this kind of stuff happens and they aren't ok with it.

These fringe people are the ranks from which people who take up arms grow.

The pro-life movement isn't calling these people out, reigning them in or ratting them out to the police. Instead they protect them, idolize them and just engage in willful ignorance about them.

Then, when someone actually pulls a trigger, plantx a bomb or otherwise goes renegade they give disingenuous lip service about the sanctity of life and the relativism of killing one for the good of the many.

These actions are sure to do two things:

1) Garner the attention of the federal law enforcement establishment

2) Turn the general population against the organized pro-life movement.

Neither of which is good for the long term health of the organized pro-life movement.

Alright. :) Edit out Hitler. My comments without Hitler still remain valid and stand by themselves. TY for commenting.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Actually this guy wasn't a pro life advocate who killed him. Anyway thats what i heard via news. I dont know more than that.

Scott Roeder had a history of protesting at abortion clinics, vandalizing abortion clinics, and was involved in anti-abortion newsletters and Operation Rescue.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just wish that all Christians would learn to respect one another, following the model of Jesus.

The model that respects life from it's very foundations and opposes Abortion. Because if we accept that Christ followed the Law of Moses except where He definitively stated otherwise. We can be positive He did not support abortion.

Relativism can only go so far. And when it relegates innocent life to a place where it is murdered then it is not following the model of Jesus. No matter what anyone thinks. Neither are those who oppress the poor, ignoring the suffering or murder the ill. Same goes for Mr. Roeder who decided to murder a human being in cold blood in the back of a church.

Christians who support such things are off base and not in line with what Christ taught. But, no mistake, there is no compromise on taking innocent life. To compromise on that is to spit on Christ. Tiller did that when he murdered children. Roeder did that when he took the place of God and murdered Tiller.

And there is no justification for either the pro-choice stand, that allows the killing of children or the radical pro-life stand that judges and takes life as if they were God Himself.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
, there is no compromise on taking innocent life. To compromise on that is to spit on Christ. Tiller did that when he murdered children. Roeder did that when he took the place of God and murdered Tiller.

:thumbsup:

IMO Roeder's actions are about as pro-life as the late Dr. Tiller's.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The model that respects life from it's very foundations and opposes Abortion. Because if we accept that Christ followed the Law of Moses except where He definitively stated otherwise. We can be positive He did not support abortion.

And Jesus definitively stated that he was against the death penalty, when he saved a woman from being stoned to death by saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Kind of interesting, isn't it, because many who call themselves pro-life think that there's a loophole about that (because of judgments they make about the characters of the condemned...)

As a refugee from political persecution himself (at the ripe old age of 1), we know that Jesus had a heart for political refugees....I think we've resettled a few hundred Iraqi refugees out of millions who've been dislocated by our war...

It seems to be a weakness of many Christians of all persuasions and philosophies to read the Bible selectively.

But, to reiterate my original post, I don't say that people aren't Christians because they read the Bible selectively. They are merely Christians with different opinions, or Christians with different interpretations.

I don't have the right to say that President Obama isn't a Christian, or that Janet Napolitano isn't. And neither does the article posted have the right to say that Obama and Napolitano will persecute the "Christians" (as defined by the narrow view of the article writer.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's sad that some people equate this murderer as representing most of the other pro-lifers. It might surprise a few of you, that real pro lifers do not approve of anyone getting murdered... or the death penalty here in the USA. Relativism hurts the soul more than anything else. It's NEVER okay to take ANY LIFE. There is no excuse for murder of any kind.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that some people equate this murderer as representing most of the other pro-lifers. It might surprise a few of you, that real pro lifers do not approve of anyone getting murdered... or the death penalty here in the USA. Relativism hurts the soul more than anything else. It's NEVER okay to take ANY LIFE. There is no excuse for murder of any kind.

Amen.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Scott Roeder had a history of protesting at abortion clinics, vandalizing abortion clinics, and was involved in anti-abortion newsletters and Operation Rescue.

Its sad because the pro-death movement is trying extremely hard to smear campaign pro-life groups. Heres what they said about Operation Rescue

YouTube - "Operation Rescue" Linked to Dr. Tiller's Assassin

I don't think his involvement should hurt Operation Rescue though. This is what they said

YouTube - Randall Terry on the George Tiller assassination

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.