Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is anyone else disturbed by double standards? Please feel free to discuss double standards (irl or online) and the solution to that problem on this thread.

I realize what I am about to say, isn't going to win me any friends. This might sound strange but I find the fact that we can have a thread about "loser" men ironic when if a guy were to start a thread about "loser" women people would lose their minds. I state this after having participated in the singles forum for the last several months. These are personal preferences. Just like a woman has a right to want a guy that meets certain standards, a man also has the right to want a woman that meets certain standards. That doesn't mean that those standards are right, in fact some peoples standards are shockingly superficial, or that we have to agree with them. By all means have a conversation about standards and whether they are realistic or not but let's keep it civil. It would be better if we had a conversation over an all out war over someone's personal preference.

What do y'all think?

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Don't bring up double standards to an extreme feminist, unless you want her to get "triggered".

Anyways, I agree with everything you said, especially the part about standards being superficial. Just wondering, what made you bring this up?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I realize what I am about to say, isn't going to win me any friends. This might sound strange but I find the fact that we can have a thread about "loser" men ironic when if a guy were to start a thread about "loser" women people would lose their minds.
Meh, I've known women whom I wouldn't hesitate to call losers. Behind their backs, of course.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure what you on about I dont think its a double standard in terms of men vs women as we do have different needs...

I just object to people labelling others losers because its not christian. Its a secular notion and I think the OP just ignored being christ minded about things. The OP didnt really seem keen to bring God into the discussion.

If you christian, you not going to be a loser, so if she cared to examine her faith and those she hung round with, she wouldnt have this problem.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Body image double standards enrages me the most.

I don't know why some women think they can gawk at films like Magic Mike with no consequences. Yet expect us men to try to find women like Trigglypuff attractive while women openly mock shorter men on talk-shows.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that Christians can be losers in the secular world. They are winners as far as being saved and having eternal life but Christians can fall short in the needs department.

For the man:
To say a man needs a car in order to date them is a reasonable request in this modern age as they are needed. You don't have to have one to get around but you do need one if you are going to have a family except for a few places such as NYC but if you don't live in NYC then this refers to you.

To request that a man needs a job is a reasonable request if you are going to be his wife because you will have bills and needs such as food and clothing.

To say that a man needs to have credit is a good need for a woman to want in a man so they can someday have a house.

For the woman:
To say that a woman needs a car in order to date is kind of dumb as she can rely on the man to take her.

To say that a woman needs a job in order to date her is kind of dumb as she is wanting to see if you can take care of her needs and wants.

To say that a woman needs to own a house is kind of dumb because she wants you to buy her one.

It is not a double standard but it is a reality that needs are different and that titles of where they are at will be different.

Is it ok to say a guy is a loser if he don't have a car, yes it is if he needs a car.

Is it ok to say that a guy in the army is a loser if he don't have a car? No its not ok because the guy in the army has a different life and he relies on the arm to transport where he needs to go so there for the title of loser is not proper in this case.

Then the women least needs to be pretty.

If a guy has a bunch of stuff he ain't wasting it on a trigglypuff looking woman.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
These are personal preferences. Just like a woman has a right to want a guy that meets certain standards, a man also has the right to want a woman that meets certain standards. That doesn't mean that those standards are right, in fact some peoples standards are shockingly superficial, or that we have to agree with them.
One of my mantras is that no one is entitled to date anyone or have sex with anyone. Romantic and/or sexual rejection is not discrimination, oppression, etc. It's just autonomy.

Some would say I'm classist for wanting a guy who has a college degree. Too bad. If I think that having that standard is worth shrinking my chances of finding someone, that's my prerogative. If a guy decides I'm too heavy for him, that's also his prerogative. No one's rights are being threatened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's good, can a man call a woman ugly and pretty if in fact that they are ugly or pretty.

Does the man have the right to have a pretty wife or do the liberals left say we have to marry the ugly ones too or it would not be right.

The regressive left (sjws) might say that, lol..

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People can have as much of a shallow standard as they want. Just let men be shallow too.

If a rich man (or any man who can get younger women) wants to dump a woman after she's turned 26, that's his right.

26 years of age.. 6 feet height requirements.. I don't see the difference. Biology is pressuring both genders on that sector.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is there any question of this?

Lol, not a question over the right.

But I want men to feel comfortable being as open about age shallowness as women feel comfortable about being open about height shallowness. Let both genders suffer equally. The negative side of equality is usually all we can expect.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see celebrities gawking about the height of their man on twitter and the like.

I want male celebrities to feel comfortable about gawking over the youth of their women.

Women posts a picture of a man with lots of muscles, a man should be able to zoom in on their partners face and brag about her youthful looks. Lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But I want men to feel comfortable being as open about age shallowness as women feel comfortable about being open about height shallowness. Let both genders suffer equally. The negative side of equality is usually all we can expect.
What's the point in even having a goal if it's something like that? We're not all masochists.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the point in even having a goal if it's something like that? We're not all masochists.

Goal what? Its probably the only realistic road to equality.

Will women ever let up abut height? Doubt it.. but lets make sure men are comfortable saying things that will make women insecure about their bodies. Both genders better have plenty to feel inadequate about physically. No softballs being thrown here. Get to the real stuff.

I don't see what any of this has to do with masochism. I might have fun watching the world burn, but that's besides the point. Lol.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was a thread on here long ago about women mocking shorter men on a talk-show.

I got angry.. guess what the response from many women was? "Boo hoo" and "waaa".

They were trying to hurt me, and they did but secretly I was over joyed from it.

Not just masochism, but they unknowingly give fuel to aid other men being heinous about their own physical standards for women. I hate feminism, but its certainly something to exploit as far as hatred goes.

I used to get lots of flack from men when I was open about not wanting overweight women, yet with the recent surge of hypocritical body positivity many of these men are giving me thumbs up now when I say such things.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just wondering, what made you bring this up?

I brought it up because I found there seems to be a lot of double standards, even among Christians. I thought it would be good for people to talk about those double standards and hopefully suggest some ways that they can be dealt with. I was hoping for some dialog and discussion. Very little is accomplished by bashing one another over the head. Also I have observed that when a man talks about his preferences people are very quick to condemn him yet if a woman does the same thing (usually) she gets some amens and so on. Do I always agree that the preferences of the man or woman are right? NO, but if I say horrible things about them as a person, instead of talking to them about their preferences, then what good have I done? I have only entrenched them further in their position. Since I am a woman I will use the body image campaign as an example. I appreciate their goal, in that women should not be shamed simply because they don't fit a certain stereotype. I appreciate it more than some women because I am not a typical woman, I am 6 ft tall. However, to lift women up only to then tear men down, is unacceptable. It is disgustingly hypocritical. I am not surprised by people in the world being harsh, shallow, or hypocritical but for people who are Christians to behave in a similar fashion is heartbreaking to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I brought it up because I found there seems to be a lot of double standards, even among Christian. I thought it would be good for people to talk about those double standards and hopefully suggest some ways that they can be dealt with. I was hoping for some dialog and discussion. Very little is accomplished by bashing one another over the head. Also I have observed that when a man talks about his preferences people are very quick to condemn him yet if a woman does the same thing (usually) she gets some amens and so on. Do I always agree that the preferences of the man or woman are right? NO, but if I say horrible things about them as a person, instead of talking to them about their preferences, then what good have I done? I have only entrenched them further in their position. Since I am a woman I will use the body image campaign as an example. I appreciate their goal, in that women should not be shamed simply because they don't fit a certain stereotype. I appreciate it more than some women because I am not a typical woman, I am 6 ft tall. However, to lift women up only to then tear men down, is unacceptable. It is disgustingly hypocritical. I am not surprised by people in the world being harsh, shallow, or hypocritical but for people who are Christians to behave in a similar fashion is heartbreaking to say the least.

Wow, I'm pretty happy seeing a woman say all this. :)

Maybe I spend too much time analyzing Buzzfeed and the like, but its nice to see a woman actually be sympathetic towards the man's point of view.

Upvote 0