Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Ok so this is funny but serious at the same time haha

So I've been in my new church for almost a year now, and I do not get along with any of the youth. They have totally different lives from me and I feel whenever I try to get involved with what they're talking about I'm so lost. Sometimes I try to be nice and people just don't seem to want to be my friend . . . yet I feel like when I'm my naturally quiet self they think I'm being stuck up or something.

Now, normally I could care less because I honestly do not like people in general and don't get along with anyone outside my close group of friends, and trust me I live a happy life. But surprise surprise, the youth in my church recently voted me to be president of the youth! In my church how it works is the congregation vote for a president for the men, women, youth and kids and well in the election I got the most votes for youth president. I'm now "the example" gotta be real good and stuff and I have to arrange youth services and activities and all this other work (lucky me right?). Again, the problem is, I DON'T LIKE THESE PEOPLEEE. I love them as my brothers and sisters in Christ but I just blah. I am such a sit-in-the-back-corner-run-out-before-people-talk-to-me kind of guy!

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yup .. your the guy for the job :)

its not them you dislike ..it is the discernment of sin in their lives and your strong desire to see it removed and them walking in holiness
its not judgmental ..it is discernment and the life you desire to see them living is the desire of God ..it is HIS desire your picking up on .. and love does not mean luvvydovey huggy warm feelings ..it means wanting what is the absolute best for others and seeking for it to be accomplished in their lives through the power of God .

"here i am lord said Jonah .. now use someone else ,im out of here ".. lol that didn't go to well for Jonah ..seems he really didn't like the Ninivites .. yet .,through him ,the lord Brought an entire city to repentance ..

yup bro .. your the man for the job .. no strength of your own :)

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok so this is funny but serious at the same time haha

So I've been in my new church for almost a year now, and I do not get along with any of the youth. They have totally different lives from me and I feel whenever I try to get involved with what they're talking about I'm so lost. Sometimes I try to be nice and people just don't seem to want to be my friend . . . yet I feel like when I'm my naturally quiet self they think I'm being stuck up or something.

Now, normally I could care less because I honestly do not like people in general and don't get along with anyone outside my close group of friends, and trust me I live a happy life. But surprise surprise, the youth in my church recently voted me to be president of the youth! In my church how it works is the congregation vote for a president for the men, women, youth and kids and well in the election I got the most votes for youth president. I'm now "the example" gotta be real good and stuff and I have to arrange youth services and activities and all this other work (lucky me right?). Again, the problem is, I DON'T LIKE THESE PEOPLEEE. I love them as my brothers and sisters in Christ but I just blah. I am such a sit-in-the-back-corner-run-out-before-people-talk-to-me kind of guy!

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?

I wonder where they get that impression?

Upvote 0

Grow_in_Grace

Dec 2, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! I completely understand you! That happens to me too. Like some of the previous posts had mentioned, love is not always a mushy feeling. I admit I may not feel 'phileo' love with the youth from my local church but I know that in The Spirit I still do love them with Agape love. Even though most times I try to hang out with them they talk about things I don't even know about or relate to, I've been praying for The Holy Spirit to guide me in what I can say to edify them and love them like Christ. I admit, if I make expectations and wait for them to treat me the way I would like to be treated in return then my love would be conditional. Usually I always felt like they didn't really want to be my friend since they were already so comfortable in their own friendships etc...I also felt out of place(maybe because I'm a pastors daughter, Lord knows why)I guess to conclude I'll end with this; pray for them, keep loving them(that includes exhortation from sins you may see-but with gentleness and love) and trust that He will carry his good purpose. :)

Upvote 0

Grow_in_Grace

Dec 2, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also you think they may perceive a "Holier than thou" attitude from you for a number of reasons; one might be just based on their own assumptions, another might be on personal convictions they may have... If they see you living a life set apart for The Lord while they might not be, they may feel confronted by their sin and consciously or unconsciously reject you. I know that's been done to me but in the end we must love them as ourselves and pray for them.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also you think they may perceive a "Holier than thou" attitude from you for a number of reasons; one might be just based on their own assumptions, another might be on personal convictions they may have... If they see you living a life set apart for The Lord while they might not be, they may feel confronted by their sin and consciously or unconsciously reject you. I know that's been done to me but in the end we must love them as ourselves and pray for them.
:thumbsup::)

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe they really don't like you... if they stuck you with all the work they don't want.

It was the youth that voted for him not other adults trying to get out of the work. No youth is going to vote someone they don't like to be in charge of them. That would be as ridiculous as a conservative voting for Barry.

Upvote 0

Optimus Fortis

N°6
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2011
UK
✟35,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was a youth member of a Pentecostal church, I had very little in common with the other youth members simply because I wasn't into the soft, boy band rock that is now known as "praise and worship".

My then best friend, with whom I got saved learned the guitar and was able to hang out with the youth.

This was partly behind the gradual reduction of my brother's and my attendance before we stopped going altogether. No-one ever called to ask how we were - not even the pastor. That always struck me as odd.

Nearly 17 years later, I attended a Kenneth Copeland connect meeting and requested prayer and the man who prayed had quite an accurate word of knowledge of about how I drifted out of the church. I didn't realise that I carried hurt from this affair as I thought that I had forgotten all about it.

Anyway, try and resolve the situation and try to remain in fellowship during your 20s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I DON'T LIKE THESE PEOPLEEE. I love them as my brothers and sisters in Christ"

Sounds disingenuous to me - if you don't LIKE them, the why would you claim to "Love" them??? Better to be honest in the situation - like Peter -

Thinking back to The last chapter of John -

Jesus asks Peter: "Do you love me?" ("Agape" - a selfless love, a love that was passionately committed to the well-being of the other.).

Peter essentially says No - not "Agape", but I AM "Fond of you" (Phileo).

Jesus says "Feed my sheep". IMPLYING that, in giving ministry, Pete will "Learn something" about Love (Agape).

And again Jesus Asks: "Do you love me?" (Agape).

Peter again says No - not "Agape", but I AM "Fond of you" (Phileo).

Jesus says "Feed my sheep".

But the THIRD TIME Jesus asks: "are you just "Fond of me"?" (Phileo).

Peter, broken, says: You know my heart - all I've got is a fondness for you.

Jesus says "Feed my sheep".

You apparently DON'T have to "love 'em" (and you really don't anyway) to minister to 'em. But the ACT of Ministering to them may well be the thing that creates IN you what should be there (and gets you out of your "I just want to be alone" corner).

Often a person's greatest ministry, is found at the bottom of his greatest weakness.

Biblical "Love for Jesus" is evaluated by your obedience TO his guidance, not how you feel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all the responses from those in similar situations as well as the advice . . . It's not that I don't like anyone, it's really that I just don't feel I could be close to any of them so I guess I sort of push them away. It's complicated . . . one of my biggest issues in general since entering church is my anti-socialness, especially with youth. I get along better with the old ladies than anybody xD

Please pray for me I don't start the actual role of youth president until January so pray the Lord will guide me!

Upvote 0