Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
There are many who won't read the Old Testament because they think none of its for today. Some pastors and teachers tell people to stay away from the Old Testament as well.This is plain wrong. The Old Testament is the very foundation of the New Testament, and without it, much of the New wouldn't make sense.
The Apostles only had Old Testament scrolls, the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings: The Devarim, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim in Hebrew. Jesus and the Apostles quoted them often.

Prime examples are Matthew 4:4 where Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 8:3 "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
Matthew 4:7 quotes Deuteronomy 6:16 "Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." - "Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God, as ye tempted him in Massah"

Matthew 4:10 quotes Deuteronomy 10:20, "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." - "Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name" (The Greek in Matthew, proskyneō means to prostrate ones self in reverence and awe, which is the same meaning as one of the meanings of Yare in Hebrew: fear.)

Matthew 5:21 refers back to Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17, the commandment "Thou shalt not commit adultery," and Matthew 5:27 cites Exodus 20:14 and Deuteronomy 5:18, "Thou shalt not kill." Then, rather than abolish the law as some false teachers preach, he expanded the law to not only include the physical act, but the mere thought of lust or hatred being equivalent to adultery and murder.

1 Corinthians 10:6 & 11 - Paul writes that the things that happened in the Old Testament are for examples: especially verse 11, " Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."
Prior to that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:9, "For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?" Which is a direct quote of Deuteronomy 25:4, which states, "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn."

Hebrews 11 "Hall of faith" is all about people whose lives and testimonies are recorded in the Old Testament. Peter and Jude refer to the flood of Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah, going back to Genesis. Jesus refers back to Genesis more than once, and also refers to the prophet Jonah in the belly of the whale, and the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet.
The whole book of Revelation is an expansion and even an unsealing of things in Daniel, of which Daniel was told to seal some of the things he heard. Daniel 12:9, "Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." And, apokalypsis is Revelation, an "unvieling."

2 Timothy 3:15 is pivitol, "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."
The Scriptures Paul speaks of here are the Torah: the law, the Prophets, and the Writings that make up the Old Testament. A few of the epistles, or letters were also circulating at the time. What does this verse tell us though? "the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Jesus is all throughout the Old Testament, and if you ever want a deeper knowledge, and wisdom of God, and a deeper and closer fellowship with Him, READ IT!
Look at Isaiah 43:3, "For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee." That word "Saviour" there is Yasha, the root word of Jesus actual name, Yeshua. It also appears in verse 11, " I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."
That verse is so important because Yahweh the LORD, the One God is saying there is no saviour beside Him, and we know JESUS is the Saviour from numerous New Testament passages!
This is also more evidence for us when confronted by those who deny the Trinity, of which there are many.

My morning devotions are such: I read something from Revelation and one of the Gospels, then a Psalm and a Proverb for the day, a passage out of the Prophets, and the Sh'mah - Deuteronomy 6:4-9. Other times during the day I'll read various other portions, depending on what I'm studying. I'll usually try to read about 1/3 from the New Testament and 2?3 from the Old because there's so much more material in the Old. My Bible has page 1120 pages of Old Testament and 353 pages of New, so that is a little less than a third the amount of scripture as the Old.

Let us not neglect, nor forsake the WHOLE Word of God. Know your whole Bible, not just part.

Reactions: Joseph G

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are many who won't read the Old Testament because they think none of its for today. Some pastors and teachers tell people to stay away from the Old Testament as well.This is plain wrong. The Old Testament is the very foundation of the New Testament, and without it, much of the New wouldn't make sense.
The Apostles only had Old Testament scrolls, the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings: The Devarim, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim in Hebrew. Jesus and the Apostles quoted them often.

Prime examples are Matthew 4:4 where Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 8:3 "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
Matthew 4:7 quotes Deuteronomy 6:16 "Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." - "Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God, as ye tempted him in Massah"

Matthew 4:10 quotes Deuteronomy 10:20, "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." - "Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name" (The Greek in Matthew, proskyneō means to prostrate ones self in reverence and awe, which is the same meaning as one of the meanings of Yare in Hebrew: fear.)

Matthew 5:21 refers back to Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17, the commandment "Thou shalt not commit adultery," and Matthew 5:27 cites Exodus 20:14 and Deuteronomy 5:18, "Thou shalt not kill." Then, rather than abolish the law as some false teachers preach, he expanded the law to not only include the physical act, but the mere thought of lust or hatred being equivalent to adultery and murder.

1 Corinthians 10:6 & 11 - Paul writes that the things that happened in the Old Testament are for examples: especially verse 11, " Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."
Prior to that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:9, "For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?" Which is a direct quote of Deuteronomy 25:4, which states, "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn."

Hebrews 11 "Hall of faith" is all about people whose lives and testimonies are recorded in the Old Testament. Peter and Jude refer to the flood of Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah, going back to Genesis. Jesus refers back to Genesis more than once, and also refers to the prophet Jonah in the belly of the whale, and the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet.
The whole book of Revelation is an expansion and even an unsealing of things in Daniel, of which Daniel was told to seal some of the things he heard. Daniel 12:9, "Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." And, apokalypsis is Revelation, an "unvieling."

2 Timothy 3:15 is pivitol, "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."
The Scriptures Paul speaks of here are the Torah: the law, the Prophets, and the Writings that make up the Old Testament. A few of the epistles, or letters were also circulating at the time. What does this verse tell us though? "the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Jesus is all throughout the Old Testament, and if you ever want a deeper knowledge, and wisdom of God, and a deeper and closer fellowship with Him, READ IT!
Look at Isaiah 43:3, "For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee." That word "Saviour" there is Yasha, the root word of Jesus actual name, Yeshua. It also appears in verse 11, " I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."
That verse is so important because Yahweh the LORD, the One God is saying there is no saviour beside Him, and we know JESUS is the Saviour from numerous New Testament passages!
This is also more evidence for us when confronted by those who deny the Trinity, of which there are many.

My morning devotions are such: I read something from Revelation and one of the Gospels, then a Psalm and a Proverb for the day, a passage out of the Prophets, and the Sh'mah - Deuteronomy 6:4-9. Other times during the day I'll read various other portions, depending on what I'm studying. I'll usually try to read about 1/3 from the New Testament and 2?3 from the Old because there's so much more material in the Old. My Bible has page 1120 pages of Old Testament and 353 pages of New, so that is a little less than a third the amount of scripture as the Old.

Let us not neglect, nor forsake the WHOLE Word of God. Know your whole Bible, not just part.
The OT was the scriptures of the Apostles and first-century Christians.

Luke 24:44 RV
44 And he said unto them, These are my words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, how that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the law of Moses, and the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me.

Luke 24:45 RV
45 Then opened he their mind, that they might understand the scriptures;

Acts 28:23 RV
23 And when they had appointed him a day, they came to him into his lodging in great number; to whom he expounded the matter, testifying the kingdom of God, and persuading them concerning Jesus, both from the law of Moses and from the prophets, from morning till evening.

Acts 17:2-3 RV
2 and Paul, as his custom was, went in unto them, and for three sabbath days reasoned with them from the scriptures,
3 opening and alleging, that it behoved the Christ to suffer, and to rise again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom, said he, I proclaim unto you, is the Christ.

Acts 17:11 RV
11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, examining the scriptures daily, whether these things were so.

Upvote 0