Does true friendship exist in this world?

puppii

*Blessed*
Nov 22, 2010
✟10,278.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know it seems that way to me too. I've come to the point where whoever comes into my life I deal with and whoever leaves my life that's fine. There will always be more people.

People let us down that's just how it is they are only human all you can really do is forgive and move on.

Reactions: PinkPearl
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course they do. Its not something you can go out and search for though... that will only bring fake friendships into your life. It will just happen. My advice is to obviously try your best not to worry and/or think about it too much... you will be blessed with awesome friends one day trust me. It might be lonely for a little bit, but hey all of us go through it and get through it...you can too, and you will be much much stronger on many levels because of it I can promise you that. Our Father is the best friend, always remember that as well. Pray about it then just leave it up to Him. He knows you better than you do and will set you up with some cool people, be strong until then :)

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had a bunch of close friends in the past but all of them have eventually let me down in some ways.

Been trying to find a true friend for quite awhile but I seem unable to find them in this world. Do they even exist in this world?

can you give me some examples of how those close friends let you down?

just trying to help :)

Upvote 0

PinkPearl

Jan 5, 2014
✟25,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
can you give me some examples of how those close friends let you down?

just trying to help :)

Hmm I had one of them who would always make plans with me and then she would postpone/cancel all those plans with me right at the very last minute. She would do this again and again all the time.

And then there was a period of time when I was going through depression, and I had another friend of mine mad at me because I kept withdrawing from people around me. She was mad at me because according to her she was worrying that she doesn't have someone to listen to her problems anymore.

I have never felt like any of my friends cared about me. I am always the one who give more, the one who cares more. And they are only interested in the things I provide for them, such as my listening ear.
They have never truly cared about my well-being.

I guess God is my only true friend at the moment.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmm I had one of them who would always make plans with me and then she would postpone/cancel all those plans with me right at the very last minute. She would do this again and again all the time.

And then there was a period of time when I was going through depression, and I had another friend of mine mad at me because I kept withdrawing from people around me. She was mad at me because according to her she was worrying that she doesn't have someone to listen to her problems anymore.

I have never felt like any of my friends cared about me. I am always the one who give more, the one who cares more. And they are only interested in the things I provide for them, such as my listening ear.

I am sorry to hear that

honestly, those friends you just described aren't really friends

they are more like hang out buddies if you will

may God bless you greatly in this area

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had a bunch of close friends in the past but all of them have eventually let me down in some ways.

Been trying to find a true friend for quite awhile but I seem unable to find them in this world. Do they even exist in this world?
It seems impossible...
Also due to my own personality...
It's what we miss on this planet, maybe in our self-centred culture it's worse than elsewhere, i don't know..

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

*Teaching long-suffering.

*Showing grace to those who use you.

*Loving those who don't love you back....thanks for doing that...Jesus showcased this.

*Finding out a biblical truth for yourself...Our Lord is the friend who sticks closer than a brother.
You're growing up (spiritually.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a friend who has been my friend since 7th grade. (We are both 63 now). We have had our ups and downs, but we made a promise a long time ago that we would always be there for each other no matter what life throws at us. And we have kept that promise. The thing is, she has let me down sometimes and I am sure I have dissapointed her at times too. But you forgive. You forgive. That is true friendship, when you realize neither of you are perfect and you are ok with that, knowing there is only One Who is perfect. Then, you help each other in the hard times and laugh together in the good times. I pray you will find a friend like that. Just dont expect them to never let you down, they are just human like all of us.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, from all that I have experienced they don't exist for me. Our only real true friend is Jesus Christ who died for our sins. Which human can compare to that?

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I would say no, you will never find a true friend. People are generally selfish and in the long run will let you down.

I am speaking from experience on this. All my friends let me down when I needed them most.

People will always be there when you are doing good and flying high but as soon as you start doing bad most will catch ghost.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Most people don't care about the well being of others. People are generally selfish and only care about themselves.

Finding someone who does care is truly rare.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I have some great friends. They are small in number. One I met at work and we have remained friends. She was there when I lost my job. I was there when her marriage ended. She supported me when my marriage ended. We are both full time single parents who work so really understand each other. She is a survivor of domestic violence and I have depression. She is one of my go to friends.
Another friend we met at school around 12 years old. He also called me from the other side of the world when I lost my job. (Was fired for something I didn't do). He also keeps in touch. We always have stuff to talk about. He once said about me that I talk a lot of garbage but it is worth listening to the garbage. Seems strange but he recognises a value in our friendship.

People will let you down from time to time. That is just the way people are. Sometimes we get so caught up in our problems we can't see or hear others. Being a friend to someone with depression is really tough. I have been on both sides where I have been the friend and I have been the one with depression.

So what do you do to treat your depression? I found one of the worst things for me was to have too much time to think about problems. So I started volunteering where I had to focus on serving others. Takes your mind of the problems. I also found good support through that. Even though I can no longer do that due to paid work I am friends with one of the other volunteers I met there. I usually had lunch with one of the other volunteers every week after doing some minor repair to equipment. Mind you since they were a psychologist I think they could see I needed support.
Medicine is a great help but it should not be the only treatment I believe. Although depends on what has caused the depression. Some is just a chemical imbalance while others are still a chemical imbalance but as a result of trauma.

There are people who can be true friends but they will always be few in number and not perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well its a "fairy tale" thing like many other things people believe. I don't mean that as a offensive statement of course. But the truth is not many make friends that last until the very day they die. As in a life time from childhood to old age. Most people will go through friends in life. Usually not of their own doing. Its just how things are. We change as we age, so likewise friends we may have had change to and may stop talking to us at some point (maybe on purpose, maybe not). Even family at times. Although obviously core family (parents, siblings...etc) are more likely to stick around then a friend.

Growing up I thought friends were forever but I was wrong. I had a few best friends. I got used to not having money because people changed. I last year met a new friend through my wifes friend (the husband). Hes a really nice down to earth guy and I call him a really good friend. Will he be around forever? I don't know. It would be nice if he was. But I try not to put so much wishful thinking in my head because more often then not it can lead to disappointment. In other words don't be overly positive to the point of blindness and also don't be overly negative to the point of blindness. You need a good balance to deal with friends. Well and anything really.

Upvote 0